Postpartum Weight Loss Help

Options
Hey guys!
I just need a little encouragement. I had my baby boy 2 months ago & I am so in love with him, but I’m really struggling with my postpartum body. I tried on my pre-pregnancy clothes today & they still don’t fit. I guess I had unrealistic expectations postpartum & losing weight. I know my body did an amazing thing & gave birth to a beautiful baby but it’s still hard on my self esteem.

I’m so tempted to go back to keto or WW smartpoints even though I struggled and binged on both programs. I have been searching for the “perfect” program for me & I know perfect doesn’t exist, but I wanna fall in love with a program like I did smartpoints but something I can MAINTAIN.

on ItrackBites Carb Concious I don’t eat enough fruit/veggies to eat an appropriate amount of calories (I was eating around 1,200) & conquer cravings I don’t eat enough veggies to eat enough calories. I know I’m complaining & knit picking because I want a quick fix & that won’t happen

Any encouragement is welcome 😭♥️

Current weight: 205lbs
Goal weight: 168

Replies

• sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You need to concentrate on looking after yourself and your baby for the first six months before you should contemplate any weightless plan. Go easy on yourself. You just grew and birthed a baby. I suggest you listen to the podcast Half Size Me.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    You need to concentrate on looking after yourself and your baby for the first six months before you should contemplate any weightless plan. Go easy on yourself. You just grew and birthed a baby. I suggest you listen to the podcast Half Size Me.

This... they grow up so quickly. Don't beat yourself up so much, you just made a human.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I actually don't see a problem with wanting to lose the weight after the 2 month mark. Thats when doctors say its ok to start. That being said, it can be a hard time to start since baby usually still is keeping you awake a lot more than you need at this point. And a tired body is a body that looks for energy from other sources like food... ie a tired person is a hungry person.

Are you breastfeeding at all? That changes how you might do things. I'll wait for your response. But generally... take it slow, take it easy. Every little bit counts. Something you can keep up with, even if slow, will still be faster than quick loss followed by quick regain. If you are breastfeeding you'll probably be able to lose weight on 2000 calories a day (i lost eating 2300 and 150 lb!) Don't even consider going less than 1800! That the the recommended minimum for breastfeeding women.

Personally.. I think maybe a program isn't the right fit for you. You sound like you need to have more control to be successful, even if it isnt as exciting. You could... use MFP for example haha.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Have you been cleared by your doc? That is my first thought.

Are you breastfeeding? If so that becomes a factor, as you need to eat enough to fuel your milk supply for your son. If breastfeeding, set MFP to 'maintain' and eat the recommended level of calories. Your body actually uses additional energy to produce milk, so that will create your deficit. Stay hydrated, rest when possible of course. Track results over the next 4-8 weeks. Increase calories if your milk supply seems to drop.

If NOT breastfeeding, then set MFP to lose 1 pound per week.

The key to calorie counting: accurately & honestly log what you consume. Weigh solid foods using a food scale. Account for beverages, cooking oils, etc. Try not to 'taste' things while cooking: that adds up. Plan out your meals & snacks.

For activity: find things you can do with your son. Take him for a walk in a stroller if weather permits. Dance with him. My daughter got a little chair like thing (to hold baby) and that allows her to do things around the room/house without having to hold/carry my granddaughter. Granddaughter is now 5 1/2 months old and she has used this chair for a while now.
  • VeryKatie
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Have you been cleared by your doc? That is my first thought.

Are you breastfeeding? If so that becomes a factor, as you need to eat enough to fuel your milk supply for your son. If breastfeeding, set MFP to 'maintain' and eat the recommended level of calories. Your body actually uses additional energy to produce milk, so that will create your deficit. Stay hydrated, rest when possible of course. Track results over the next 4-8 weeks. Increase calories if your milk supply seems to drop.

If NOT breastfeeding, then set MFP to lose 1 pound per week.

The key to calorie counting: accurately & honestly log what you consume. Weigh solid foods using a food scale. Account for beverages, cooking oils, etc. Try not to 'taste' things while cooking: that adds up. Plan out your meals & snacks.

For activity: find things you can do with your son. Take him for a walk in a stroller if weather permits. Dance with him. My daughter got a little chair like thing (to hold baby) and that allows her to do things around the room/house without having to hold/carry my granddaughter. Granddaughter is now 5 1/2 months old and she has used this chair for a while now.

I used to squat with my son as my weight lol. I'd go "WHOA" as I dropped and he would laugh. My daughter loves dancing to the Wiggles lol.
  • Hdsneed
    Hdsneed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my third in January. My advice, as well as taking it slow and taking it easy on yourself is to start with your nutrition. Maybe just try calorie counting for .5-1lb loss per week if you don’t want to do WW? Keep in mind if you’re nursing you will need to eat a little more if you’re feeling deprived or week. Personally, I still haven’t started an excel use regimen beyond neighborhood walks, I’ve just been eating 1500 or less a day (nursing) and I’ve been able to slowly lose each week. It takes time ❤️ Good luck and enjoy that baby!
  • VeryKatie
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hdsneed wrote: »
    I had my third in January. My advice, as well as taking it slow and taking it easy on yourself is to start with your nutrition. Maybe just try calorie counting for .5-1lb loss per week if you don’t want to do WW? Keep in mind if you’re nursing you will need to eat a little more if you’re feeling deprived or week. Personally, I still haven’t started an excel use regimen beyond neighborhood walks, I’ve just been eating 1500 or less a day (nursing) and I’ve been able to slowly lose each week. It takes time ❤️ Good luck and enjoy that baby!

Its actually really not recommended to eat less than 1800 when nursing as it deprives your milk of the nutrition your baby needs... you have to at least eat the 1800 calories, even if your exercise brings you less, but based on the OP's stats this number would be far too low for her IF she is breastfeeding. If she isn't then a standard calculator would work for her to help her determine her calories needs, such as MFP or Scooby.

"Breastfeeding mothers should consume at least 1800 calories a day and can safely lose around 1 lb/week (La Leche League, 2010; Lauwers & Swisher, 2015). Aim to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables while minimizing empty carbohydrates and junk food. For some, consuming 1800 calories/day does not allow much room for weight loss via cutting calories however, you can pair dieting with exercise to promote weight loss at a safe pace."

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/breastfeeding/conditioninfo/calories

https://www.llli.org/breastfeeding-info/weight-loss-mothers/#:~:text=Breastfeeding
  • Hdsneed
    Hdsneed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn’t know that! I haven’t had any supply issues and my baby is healthy, but I’ll definitely consider increasing. Sorry OP!
  • VeryKatie
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hdsneed wrote: »
    Wow I didn’t know that! I haven’t had any supply issues and my baby is healthy, but I’ll definitely consider increasing. Sorry OP!

You could talk to a registered dietician. These are still just "standard" recommendations, so I have no idea if you fall within those or not. Most women would but I doubt all. Taking that prenatal/postnatal vitamin would certainly be important though.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @LauraSrock18 I too had a baby boy two months ago and am starting to lose weight. Frustratingly, I dropped weight super quickly after the birth, but then regained six pounds due to lack of sleep, lack of exercise, anxiety, and ease of access to super good home-baked goods courtesy of my overly kind and helpful Mother-in-law.

I am breastfeeding, and I think that is the only reason I didn't gain more weight! My plan right now is to start doing daily walks during the baby's afternoon nap (weather permitting). He had also just started to sleep longer at nights, so I am going to try to get up after his six AM feeding and workout for a half hour before he wakes up for the day.

I am counting calories (as this is how I lost weight successfully in the past) and trying to focus a bit more on nutrition (which is hard, when trying to keep the baby happy and the house running!).

If you would like to add me as a friend then I would be thrilled to encourage you and help hold each other accountable!

CW: 181
    GW: 145-140.

You can do it! Just make small sustainable changes, and give yourself Grace right now. You and your son are both working hard and learning a lot--it's tough, and you are doing it!