When did healthy become skinny?

Options
2»

Replies

• shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well, I think your mommy was just saying it as a term of endearment, she might not actually consider you to be "skinny" in the entire sense of the word, but you're obviously skinnier than you were before...

Anyways, it brings up a good point. Anyone heard of the New York Times best selling book Skinny *****?

http://www.skinny*****.net/
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily "see" health. You see the outside so I think that is what most compliments are based on. I think it was a compliment. I have said this myself to someone who loses a great deal of weight. It is just meant to say great job on losing the weight.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    it is just a word im sure she had no "deeper" meaning for it lol btw if you are not fat your skinny weather you are fit or not.
    TOO skinny is emaciated.People put so much empassis on the word lol
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    The women at work have watched me lose my 33 pounds. They say "Good morning skinny minnie" every time they see me. They even kind of insult me by saying " why are you still trying to lose any more weight?"

This baffles me too... I know they are not insulting me by calling me "skinny" but my response to them is usually " Because I am still 175 and that is a very unhealthy weight for me still" I think unless you are taking steps to become healthy and are doing things to strictly lose weight, you just don't get what the rest of us are trying to achieve.

I know you took what your mother said as a compliment and I know what you are asking. Most people just don't use the terms Healthy vs Unhealthy... They are use to Skinny vs Fat

It's up to us to educate them! :laugh:
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It's just a way of recognising you're doing great, take it as a compliment. My friend and I have lost weight, and refer to each other as skinny minnie's. We're not, never have been and neither of us want to be skinny, it's just a turn of phrase. Congrats on your progress so far :-)
  • clvdandj
    Options
    I think skinny in this instance has been used as an ego boost.

I completely agree. Dont look to much into things. She just wanted to make you feel good!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Does even the medical profession accept overweight as a "normal" condition now?

That is why they call it practicing medicine - it is not a perfect science. Everyone is different and many can make it to their late 30s or 40s before a lifestyle will take its toll. When I was in school we had to get the Presidential Fitness Award to pass gym. At 53, I probably still could. I just want to be off the BP medication that is primarily because of my weight.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You certainly know your mother better than I, but maybe she thought she was paying you a compliment in a silly way??

Absolutely. She's just acknowledging your hard work and its results.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's scary. We've become a nation of large people. If you look at pics of a crowd in 1940 or 1950 most everyone was average size. Not large, not small. You'll of course see some large and very thin ppl in the crowd but the biggest thing I've noticed is that very heavy ppl stand out in old pics. We used to be a country of hard working, healthy people. Not anymore. Now everybody just wants to sit around and eat.
    Now thin ppl are in the minority. I'd like to see this reversed

How true! I look at old family photos ranging from the late 1800s through to the 1950s and all average size; no one stands out as obese. It was a time when candy and sweets were rare, you waited until the next meal to eat (no snacks to spoil the appetite), meals were real food and not from a box or can, and you drank water if you were thirsty. Not the same case now looking at recent photos.

As mentioned, don't know your Mom, but would give her the benefit of the doubt she was speaking in jest calling you skinny.
  • Pirate1974
    Options
    It was fun reading through all the posts. I take what she said as a compliment as she has always been my biggest supporter in anything I have ventured to do. Ultimately I am feeling better about myself, I know I am healthier and have a realistic view of where I want to be and able to maintain. Good luck to all of you as we continue this journey to be happy and healthy individuals.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    When my ex husband left me three years ago, I dropped weight like crazy. I was riddled with anxiety and stress, so the weight literally melted off. I could barely eat. I went from a comfy size 10 (what I am now) to a roomy size 4...in about 3 months.

Everyone commented on how "good" I looked. I was so "thin" and had lost so much weight.

And I remember thinking, I would take back 15 pounds overnight to be rid of the anxiety and fear. To not have panic attacks. To not just survive, but to live. I "looked" like I had it together, because I looked "good."

I was skinny. But I was in no way healthy. Even at my weight now, which is about 20 pounds heavier than I was then, I'm healthier. Physically and emotionally.

But yes, our society sees "skinny" and thinks "healthy."
  • arispawild
    Options
    healthy can be any size. i was 135 pounds at 5'4" tall for many years and frankly i was too skinny. 150 or 160 would be better for me. it's all about have good levels of cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and other things, not how much you weigh. my yoga instructor is physically bigger than me but she sure can twist and she's healthy.

i've never wanted to be a size 2 (thank God). i only want to be healthy.
    That does not sound too skinny....
    I'm 5'5 and 120. I'm like exactly average and healthy.