HRM Recommendations

Hi All!
So I'm thinking about investing in a HRM to track my calories burned more accurately. Can anybody give me any recommendations for a good one. I'd prefer one that doesn't require a chest strap and that isn't too bulky on the wrist so I can wear it out. Anybody have one that they totally love? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Polar FT7 my recomendation!
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    I just recently bought the Polar FT4 and I love it. I got it on Amazon for $60. It tracks HR plus calories. Stores the information on the watch in nifty files.

I know you do not want a chest strap, but I used to have one that only strapped on the wrist and I found that it was not tracking accurately. I really do not notice the chest strap at all when I am working out.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    polar FT4! Its really simple to use and can be used while swimming. Also, its a farely decent price I bought mine at Best Buy.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    I have a Sportsline watch from Walmart and I really like it real well. I also have a gowearfit by body media that I bought second hand for ebay. The watch is good while you walk or excersise and the gowearfit will read your steps, calories burned and even how long you lay in the bed and out of that how long you really sleep. You wear the gowearfit for up to 23 hours a day and it reads your calories burned and steps taken the whole time. I really love both of them. You can go to www.bodymedia.com I think to look it up. If that does not work try www.bodymedia.org I am not sure about the web address.
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    I have the Polar Ft4 and i really like it
  • takm0527
    takm0527 Posts: 52 Member
    I was like you with my first HRM- I didn't want the chest strap...but I found that the wrist type were not accurate. I will still use the watch (no strap) one when I am just walking and the heart rate stays fairly steady....but the chest strap is SO worth it if you are doing a hard workout and do not want to have to stop and take your hr.

I do not even notice the strap anymore..sometimes I forget to take it off!

I have the Polar Ft7 and my results and drastically improved since I switch to it.

Good luck in your search!
  • You can't go wrong with anything Polar. I have the Polar FT60 and while it's a little more than I need, it's awesome. Love it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    my wife has a polar, i have a timex. both are good. i think with the polar you can put in more information such as age, height, etc. i should've gotten a polar because the bluetooth chest strap would have linked up with an app on my phone called cardio fitness trainer that i use for gps tracking when i run or bike ride.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Polar FT4 or FT7.

You need a chest strap if you want an accurate estimation of calories burned... without a chest strap, you will not have accuracy.

Most of these HRM's watches don't look like normal watches anyway, so I don't wear mine for anything but exercise.
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Thank you so much for all the recomendations!
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Polar FT4! Chest straps are more accurate and nobody can see it. Not bulky or anything. I got mine at Target.
  • Also a fan of the Polar FT4 great product for the money. you really hardly even notice the chest strap and its super easy to use!!!
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    I am looking for a HRM too, and I think I am going to buy the Polar FT40. It looks like that one will show you heart rate and time elapsed at the same time. The FT4 and FT7 don't show time elapsed without switching screens, if I understand correctly.