Random Life Events, but are they truly random

Options
Danw586
Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
Tell us about a time when a seemingly improbable thing happened to you for either good or bad.

For instance, one year, I was at a subway stop in NYC where I met another family I knew at the time (we both lived a couple hours away in NJ at the time). The odds of us both being there at the same time at an unpopular subway location was improbable, but we decided to join up and enjoy some time together exploring and seeing sights.

Replies

• Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    tams_89 wrote: »
    Me and my best friend of 6 years were talking the other week about ex boyfriends and it came to light that 11 years ago she lived with her then partner next door to a guy I was dating. It was a totally different area to where we met and live now.
    We were supposed to meet 💖

That’s awesome!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I met my now-husband's family a year before I met him.

When I was in college, they had a team of volunteers that helped people move into their dorms at the beginning of the year; I signed up to help for my sophomore, junior, and senior years. The first year I did this, I was assigned to a girls' dorm, and his sister was one of the students I helped move in. She followed her big brother to the same college - he was across campus moving in on his own that day. Now-Husband had a friend that hung around with a freshman guy that went to a recurring campus activity that I also attended regularly (do you need some thumbtacks and string to diagram this yet? LOL). That somehow led to all of us plus a few more friends forming a club on campus. I noticed Now-Husband had a real cute butt, decided I had to talk to him, one thing led to another and now we're married. We dated for almost 9 years, and tied the knot this past October.

The thing is, it took 2 or 3 years of us dating before his parents and I figured out where we recognized each other from. His sister was in an intense, specialized program, so she was usually too busy to join her folks for dinner when they came up to the school to visit, which they did fairly often. But he would go, and I would be invited along since I was his girlfriend. His sister was one of dozens of people I saw that day I helped her move in, and I never saw her around campus (see: intense program; also, they weren't super inclined to hang out with each other even if she had time, so we never did). Now-Husband and I lived with his folks for a little while after graduating, so it wasn't until the sister was home for a few days, a couple of years into our relationship, that we were all in the same place at the same time and it finally clicked.
  • scratchmyTwitch
    scratchmyTwitch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    One time I saw a dark eyed man on the F train and I recognized him from a dream I’d had the night before. I was too shy to talk to him and I’ve been unhappy ever since.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Four yrs ago I was at a ski resort almost 20 hours from my home and I ran into my college roommate there. It was the first time there for both of us and although we talked fairly frequently, we were both very busy at work around that time so we hadn’t talked in months and had no idea the other would be there.

It was even further away for her.. a 36 hr train ride (they took the train just for the fun of it).

And neither one of us was staying at the resort, we were both just there for the day.

That was such a great day

mqox8ahns838.jpeg
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,103 Member
    Options
    I met my now-husband's family a year before I met him.

When I was in college, they had a team of volunteers that helped people move into their dorms at the beginning of the year; I signed up to help for my sophomore, junior, and senior years. The first year I did this, I was assigned to a girls' dorm, and his sister was one of the students I helped move in. She followed her big brother to the same college - he was across campus moving in on his own that day. Now-Husband had a friend that hung around with a freshman guy that went to a recurring campus activity that I also attended regularly (do you need some thumbtacks and string to diagram this yet? LOL). That somehow led to all of us plus a few more friends forming a club on campus. I noticed Now-Husband had a real cute butt, decided I had to talk to him, one thing led to another and now we're married. We dated for almost 9 years, and tied the knot this past October.

The thing is, it took 2 or 3 years of us dating before his parents and I figured out where we recognized each other from. His sister was in an intense, specialized program, so she was usually too busy to join her folks for dinner when they came up to the school to visit, which they did fairly often. But he would go, and I would be invited along since I was his girlfriend. His sister was one of dozens of people I saw that day I helped her move in, and I never saw her around campus (see: intense program; also, they weren't super inclined to hang out with each other even if she had time, so we never did). Now-Husband and I lived with his folks for a little while after graduating, so it wasn't until the sister was home for a few days, a couple of years into our relationship, that we were all in the same place at the same time and it finally clicked.

I bet Now-Husband is very thankful he had/has a nice butt. I chuckled when I read that’s what made you HAVE to speak to him.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Danw586 wrote: »
    Tell us about a time when a seemingly improbable thing happened to you for either good or bad.

For instance, one year, I was at a subway stop in NYC where I met another family I knew at the time (we both lived a couple hours away in NJ at the time). The odds of us both being there at the same time at an unpopular subway location was improbable, but we decided to join up and enjoy some time together exploring and seeing sights.

Its funny you would bring this up. Almost exactly one year ago i spotted you at a school Christmas pageant in Connecticut. The odds of me being there was almost impossible, but yet there i was.....and then i saw you. Normally i would have busted your chops, but i saw you had a beautiful little family with you and i said damn, thats awesome. So, i just watched the children's play and minded my own business. It was a nice night and i had a good chuckle to myself on the drive home.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,103 Member
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »
    Four yrs ago I was at a ski resort almost 20 hours from my home and I ran into my college roommate there. It was the first time there for both of us and although we talked fairly frequently, we were both very busy at work around that time so we hadn’t talked in months and had no idea the other would be there.

It was even further away for her.. a 36 hr train ride (they took the train just for the fun of it).

And neither one of us was staying at the resort, we were both just there for the day.

mqox8ahns838.jpeg

Your friend looks very familiar
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »

mqox8ahns838.jpeg

Your friend looks very familiar

😂
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,623 Member
    Options
    It seems lately that things financially keep falling about...but then randomly ill find a check i never cashed or $ from random job/ situation pop up...just when I feel I'm about to break...something holds it together
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    I met Timothy McVeigh about a week before the OKC bombing—at the Murray building.
    He asked if there was a daycare in the building. I didn’t know. Asked if there was an IRS office in the building. I said no.
    Another guy walked up and said yes. I said no, you’re wrong. He said I think there is. They talked and I walked away. If I had
    Known, I would have stood there and argued forever. I would have tried to prove it.

😮😮😮