Weight lose question

Options
I was wondering with dieting 1000 calories a day and workout twice a day how long to lose 20 pounds

Replies

• solmazirani82
    solmazirani82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on many things like your height, current weight, age and etc... so it is different for every one. If you check calorie calculator sites or other weight loss calculator sites and fill out the information, that might give you a better idea on how many days it will take you to lose 20 pounds.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    20 lbs of fat x 3500 calories/lb = 70,000 calories worth of fat / 1000 deficit/day = 70 days.

That is in the imaginary world of numbers on paper.

In reality weight loss is not linear.

In reality you won't know exactly how much you burn each day to keep a 1000 cal deficit for your eating goal.

And biggest in reality, if you only have 20 lbs left to healthy weight, and are doing 1000 daily deficit - you will NOT lose only fat weight - say goodbye to muscle too.
    Muscle is not 3500 cal/lb as energy source.
    Your body will also slow you down with extreme diet like that - so ability to keep 1000 cal deficit will harder as you burn less and less as time goes on.
    And because of the stress you will gain water weight so you won't even lose weight that could be occurring.

Also count how much time next year you'll spend doing it again, or more - because extreme diets are a major reason for the over 70% failure rate to reach goal weight and keep it off for a year.

So ya - in theory 70 days - in reality it could be years and years of yo-yo dieting until older and tired of having a terrible view of food and your body.
    Just read many of the comments on MFP.

I have to say that your interpretation is more... optimistic than mine. I thought she meant eating 1000 calories a day while exercising twice a day. All of your warnings still apply though, even more so.

I thought the same, if so OP don't do that please!
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was wondering with dieting 1000 calories a day and workout twice a day how long to lose 20 pounds

Do you mean a 1000 calorie deficit or eating only 1000 calories?

Either is potentially problematic ... you may not be able to safely reach a 1000 calorie deficit and eating 1000 calories without medical prescription and supervision is extremely risky and considered a very low calorie diet.

Step back to basics ... how old are you? What is your height and current weight? What are your goals? From there you can get reasoned help to get you safely towards your goals.
  • simplegirl2711
    simplegirl2711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like eating 1000 calories but I've never been a big eater my main diet was always junk food ..I had gallbladder surgery a year ago and my appetite really hasn't came back. I'm 5'3 136 pounds but like all my weight is in the abdominal area
    .. so my main goal is to lose the belly
  • simplegirl2711
    simplegirl2711 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My workout consist with a mile walk in the morning and strength training in the evening like sit up and stuff
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You can’t spot reduce. And with so little left to lose, your max loss per week will be .5 lbs. You will need to track very carefully and make sure you weigh everything and pick accurate database entries.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Like eating 1000 calories but I've never been a big eater my main diet was always junk food ..I had gallbladder surgery a year ago and my appetite really hasn't came back. I'm 5'3 136 pounds but like all my weight is in the abdominal area
    .. so my main goal is to lose the belly

If eating 1000 (and you really aren't that short or light to be bucking the 1200 minimum just to get nutrients in - especially if prior diet lacked giving you experience as to what that is) - then you didn't get enough info to put on paper how long it would take.

You would have to know how much you burn.

But to the above points made to emphasis them - reasonable deficit, full body strength training, keep up your walks.
    Or suffer the flabby arms from lack of muscle as the stomach fat disappears slower than desired.