Alchol.....

Options
A question, i like the odd glass of wine can i still drink as long as i stay within my calorie intake or will this slow my progress down?
v

Replies

• pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You can still have a drink as long as you log the calories!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    In my opinion - nothing is forbidden.

A glass of wine will not destroy your diet, so go for it!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Alcohol will probably slow you down a little. Is it worth it to you to completely eliminate it from your diet though? I say, have the occasional glass of wine.
  • Shaun1215
    Options
    It will not hurt you to make it an occasional thing. Just limit it to one glass!
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! I have a glass almost every night as long as I budget for it throughout the day and I've been able to lose weight!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Alcohol slows your progress. It's not just about calories. It's about how the body processes those calories and in what order. Here's an article ... http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm

With that said...I still enjoy an occasional glass of red wine. Nothing crazy and my food is still lean mats, low fat.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I switched to light beer over regular beer and white wine over red (fewer calories). But to quit enjoying a glass altogether? What's the point of getting healthy and living a long life if you can't enjoy it?!? Cheers! :happy:
  • fmeisele
    Options
    It won't slow anything down, even more then a glass of wine, as long as you log it and stay on track with calories and exercise. I can tell you from experience alcohol in moderation does not slow you down.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends. Most people can get by just fine keeping it within their calorie limits. But perhaps a few would be more successful if they consumed more nutrient dense calories. *shrug* You could try an experiment for a few weeks to see. Otherwise, you won't know for sure.

That being said, I could never give up my alkeehol. Might I lose faster without it? Perhaps. But not giving it up.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on my wine a little as it ate up a lot of my calories, but I will NOT be giving it up altogether and I've lost 24 pounds. I like my wine and a LITTLE of what you fancy does you good - cheers!! :drinker:
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Yess!!! And they say moderate drinking (one a day) is actually beneficial to a long, healthy life. Drink your glass of wine and enjoy.
  • littlewords
    Options
    I've lost about 25 pounds altogether (only 12 since joining MFP) and I certainly do not abstain, although I have discovered that as far as calories go, wine is not the best choice. Still, it tastes good.

I think as long as you are making good food choices (rather than just meeting your calorie goals) having an occasional glass of wine (or whatever beverage you like) is not going to slow you down. If all of your other calories are coming from potato chips and cookies, well...that may be a different story.

And it is actually good to indulge in some things, sometimes, otherwise, you tend to go nuts.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton. Like 3 to 6 glasses a night sometimes.....Wine, bourbon, beer, whatever. Still down 25 pounds. But LOG the calories.
  • mowrites
    mowrites Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wouldn't it be nice if the bottles of liquor or wine had nutrition facts?
  • fmeisele
    Options
    The article posted by Nomomush is for bodybuilder training and states:

In summary, while the odd drink or two is acceptable on the Metabolic Diet, it's important to realize that it can be counter productive in the low carb phase and especially so in the induction stage. As such, it's best to partake on the higher carb days where the alcohol is more in tune with the metabolism. However, even in this phase it's important to keep in mind that acute alcohol intoxication impairs protein synthesis and the anabolic hormones.

I think that pretty much says "odd drink or two is acceptable" even if you're training for body building.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I drink and work it into my calories with exercise. Maybe 1-2 times a week. It's hasn't been bad to me but expect some water weight fluctuations.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    everyone will have a different opinion. I say if you do careful budgeting, you will be ok. :drinker:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    In my opinion - nothing is forbidden.

A glass of wine will not destroy your diet, so go for it!

^
    agreed!! just log it and stay within your calorie goal! Cheers!!