looking for some ideas for our orlando trip

Options
molsongirl
molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
Hey there,

We're taking the kids to Orlando next week. I'm looking for some places to shop, eat, visit that would be interesting, this isn't our first trip to Orlando, but we would like something other then the expected, disney/universal/busch garden thing, we're doing that as well. I guess we're looking for the "hidden" gems, museums, shows, trails..i dunno just something that doesn't involve 79.99, screaming kids, over priced food, and a migraine! :laugh: are there any zip lines tours offered? go-karting nearby, just something to keep them busy and entertained while we're there spending our retirement money :laugh: all the websites I visit, are way overpriced and they all offer the same excursions.

Replies

• molsongirl
    Options
    Hey there,

We're taking the kids to Orlando next week. I'm looking for some places to shop, eat, visit that would be interesting, this isn't our first trip to Orlando, but we would like something other then the expected, disney/universal/busch garden thing, we're doing that as well. I guess we're looking for the "hidden" gems, museums, shows, trails..i dunno just something that doesn't involve 79.99, screaming kids, over priced food, and a migraine! :laugh: are there any zip lines tours offered? go-karting nearby, just something to keep them busy and entertained while we're there spending our retirement money :laugh: all the websites I visit, are way overpriced and they all offer the same excursions.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

live on the wild side...think SAN DIEGO!
  • molsongirl
    Options
    Hey there,

live on the wild side...think SAN DIEGO!

I'm thinking Jamaica, hedonism...:happy: but I never win :grumble: of course no kids, but isn't that the best family vacation??:wink:
  • happenstance82
    Options
    Have you been to Church Street Station in Orlando? It's a cool, little plaza. Great place to dine, shop and find fun things for the kids too.
  • angeemiller
    Options
    Gatorland is not too far from there, and it is only about $20pp for adults (they have $2 coupons on their website if you buy tix in advance). I have been to Orlando a few times over the past few years but I never make it there. My kids are kind of young so I think they would be a little afraid, but I saw it on the Travel Channel and it looked really neat. I think they offer airboat rides from there as well into the Everglades. Not sure how old your kids are (assuming older if you were thinking go-carts and zip lines) :wink:
  • molsongirl
    Options
    Gatorland is not too far from there, and it is only about $20pp for adults (they have $2 coupons on their website if you buy tix in advance). I have been to Orlando a few times over the past few years but I never make it there. My kids are kind of young so I think they would be a little afraid, but I saw it on the Travel Channel and it looked really neat. I think they offer airboat rides from there as well into the Everglades. Not sure how old your kids are (assuming older if you were thinking go-carts and zip lines) :wink:

:laugh: , we're taking 11 kids with us, my sister is bringing 4 and my brother is bringing 8, we're going with foster parents support group, we have booked an entire plane! it should be a blast, the kids are from 4years to 15 I think is the oldest. Gatorland sounds kinda cool though, i'll have to check that out, same with church street station, can't say I heard of that, has anyone done downtown disney? is it worth the time?
  • molsongirl
    Options
    just checked out Church street station, and that sounds way cool, def gonna check that out, thanks all!
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    dont forget old town as well
  • sophyjim
    sophyjim Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, I live in Orlando. I will recommend you to go to Arabian Nights is good dinner show, check for prices in the internet, and also you can go the the International Dr, there is a lot of dining, shops and entertaiment for the entire family.

I hope you got a good trip.

Have fun.

Sophy
  • girlaskew12
    girlaskew12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There's a mini golf course there called Pirate's Cove. It's actually part of a chain of mini golf places that are all over the country. It's fun and some of the holes are pretty cool. Plus, it keeps kids entertained.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    any strip clubs down there?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    any strip clubs down there?

giggle.gif
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options

the Everglades are a couple hundred miles from Orlando. Airboats don't travel well on asphault...