Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)

Options
Has anyone out there been diagnosed with this and is successfully controlling their macros and micros on the MFP? Any tips or advice on setting goals would be really appreciated. Dr laughed at me when I mentioned phosphorus and said it had nothing to do with CKD. Err I think it does....My source is only The kidney Foundation and Kidney.org.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Did a little reading on the subject and it looks like CKD has a number of possible causes, which would partly determine what dietary approach is best. For example, the most common cause is diabetes, which has its own set of rules for a healthy diet. Do you know what the cause is in your case?

If you're overweight or obese, losing weight is going to make things easier on your kidneys regardless, and presumably you will also want to limit sodium. You can track sodium in MFP.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My husband is a dialysis nurse. He says excess phosphorus is the result of kidney disease not the cause of it. If your phosphorus is high, doctor should prescribe a binder that removes it from the gut rather than being absorbed into the body. Common result of excess phosphorus is excessive skin itching. The amount of phosphorus you consume does not make ckd better or worse.
    Many patients in end stage ckd are low on protein and he doesn't know about patients earlier in the disease stage. Your protein intake should be based on clinical evidence, commonly measured by albumin levels.
    The #1 problem he sees is fluid overload which is a direct result of too much sodium which causes patients to drink too much. Again, water intake may be different earlier in the disease. But too much sodium automatically makes people drink more and they cannot overcome the urge to drink.
    Are you working with a registered dietician who specializes in ckd? If not, can you get a referral? They should be able to support you in this area.
    Hope that helps.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have CKD for about 8 yrs. Good advice already given. But your doctor should be your primary go to for diet advice. I'm not on any special diet, my condition is stable & not that bad. If the doc wants you on a special diet - he should send you to a nutritionist or give you all the info you need. If he doesn't - he's a problem.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have polycystic kidney disease. My GFR is bouncing between 16-19 and I am on the transplant list. My phosphorus has been fine, so I am not under any dietary restrictions in that regard at the moment. I am supposed to be watching my sodium but I will admit I am not that great about it. I am good with drinking the water I'm supposed to.

I can't speak for what type of CKD you have, but the dietitian I met with when I got listed told me, personally, that at this point, watching my protein levels in general wouldn't do me any good, but that I *should* be getting most of my protein from lean meat sources - more chicken, less beef, basically. Protein from "white" meat is easier for the kidneys to process than protein from red meat.

Considering my numbers have held steady for a year now, I'm not losing too much sleep over macros. YMMV.
  • pcw65
    pcw65 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I omitted probably the most important thing and it is kind of hinted at in other posts above. CKD is a varied issue, in terms of stage and type. Therefore, your diet and exercise regime should be communicated to you by your nephrologist. What works in stage 1-3 doesn't work in stage 5 or post transplant etc.

My comments above relate to my situation only.

For example I only found out when in Johns Hopkins recently that there are forms of CKD that require a high sodium diet, who knew...
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm 17 years post-transplant, and I also recommend seeing a registered dietitian specializing in kidney disease. I have Alport Syndrome, so, prior to dialysis, I was recommended low protein and vegetarian prior to dialysis because I was spilling so much blood and protein into my urine. On dialysis, I was instructed to switch to animal sources of protein, particularly eggs for easy bio-availability, in addition to restricting fluids and potassium. Since my transplant, I maintain a healthy weight, since my blood pressure starts creeping up whenever I approach 150lbs at 5'6". I eat mostly vegetarian during the week, and dabble in carnivorous activity on weekends. My labs are as good as they can be.

Diet and lifestyle can only do so much to prevent progression of the disease. I was fit and "healthy" when i went on dialysis at 19 because that was the way my disease was going to progress no matter what. Arm yourself with knowledge and create healthy habits, but maintain the insight that your body may have other plans. You're not alone.

• salburda
    salburda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have stage 3 kidney disease and I am trying to find a guide of sodium, potassium and in my daily fitness and other renal nutrients.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @salburda ask your nephrologist to refer you to a dietician who specializes in CKD patients. When I was on dialysis, our center had a monthly visit from a dietician who gave us handouts on foods to eat or avoid. If you are not currently seeing a nephrologist, please get a referral.