Need some motivation

Options
Hello guys. I had lost 80 plus lbs in 3 years and I regained in 2 years and I am very frustrated. Can you guys tell me what do you guys do to stay motivated. I am back to where I started and very frustrated and don’t feel like starting this again

Replies

• snarkybears
    snarkybears Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as"starting again". Think of it as "continuing still" because you are worth it!
  • JulioM997
    JulioM997 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You did it once... you CAN do it again. I like @snarkybears comment, look at it as "continuing still". We will be here to cheer you on!
  • Brooke2305
    Brooke2305 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel very frustrated too because I go back and forth so much. But I’m COMMITTED to sticking this through as a permanent change this time. One thing I’ve done to ensure this is I’ve asked my husband to check in with me every couple weeks and just ask the innocent question “how is it going with your MFP goals?” Then it makes me have to be honest with myself and I will not let it get beyond a week or two out of control. That’s how I plan to stay motivated. Also, I look at some of the clothes I have in the closet that don’t fit me and I think “let’s not waste those clothes. Let’s DO THIS!” I try to think of it as I don’t have a choice! I need to fit back in those clothes so I don’t waste them! Silly mind tricks I try to do to motivate myself. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe having an accountability partner that you can be 100% honest will help? And maybe a few mins tricks of your own! 😅
  • king20032014
    king20032014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @Brooke2305 Great idea. Thanks for motivation. We all can do it and will do it
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Don't think of it as"starting again". Think of it as "continuing still" because you are worth it!

Yes!

Don't think weight change... think lifestyle improvement.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You need to change the mindset from “dieting” to changing habits permanently.

That doesn’t mean you permanently eat in a deficit, but it does mean that you make changes you can stick to for life.

For example, I still eat pizza, cake, cookies, ice cream etc. I DONT eat 4 slices of pizza at a time or as much ice cream as I can humanly fit into the bowl. I have 1-2 slices of pizza. I have dessert almost every night and I will have ONE serving (1.5 if I have the calories 😜).

And if I have a really bad day, I don’t punish myself for it. I just continue onwards on my weight loss journey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    In my mind, weight management is a lifelong practice, not a temporary project. Motivation is not the key, IMO, habits are the key.

The goal is to have a focused time period (usually thought of as the "weight loss phase") where we figure out a way of eating that works for each of us as individuals, to stay happy, energetic, well-nourished, satiated; that's practical given our lifestyle including desired social eating; and that ideally incorporates some enjoyable movement/activity to promote ongoing good fitness, strength and health.

That's the experiment, and the sensibly small calorie deficit provides a soft landing for any "oops" moments during that experiment. At goal weight, add those few calories back into the day, and keep going with those same happy, practical habits.

We can work on new, positive habits gradually, over a period of time. One positive new habit at a time is progress.

Does it take motivation to just do daily life? Make beneficial habits your daily life. Motivation is overrated.

Best wishes!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What got me motivated was when my blood work returned and it showed that my A1C was 6.1 - that scared the *kitten* out of me and let me know that I need to get my self in check otherwise I will be looking at diabetes.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You lost it before...so you know how to do that part. It is okay to be frustrated and mad at yourself for going back to square one. But ,you have to forgive yourself and move on to the task at hand.

The most important thing is to take the time to think of the reasons how you gained it all back and try to fix those pitfalls. We've all done it.. so you're not alone. You can get back to it and be successful!