ZUMBA!!!!!!

Options
So I just started my lifestyle change today!! Woohoo! I've decided that I will need to keep myself entertained with exercise since it has really been non-existent in my life for quite a while. I have tried zumba before and think I could really get into it.
What do you log your exercise under for zumba?? There isn't a specific category for it.
Help please :tongue:

Replies

• KarenLipana
    Options
    dancing, aerobics,twist :smile:
  • mora_ta
    Options
    I found it under cardio - Zumba.
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I found a website that helped me to determine my Zumba calories burned, and I logged it under Zumba.

Mostly it's whatever you feel comfortable with.

And good luck to you!!!! I love Zumba!
  • bstilland
    bstilland Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I log it under Aerobics General
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I do Zumba, so I just created a New exercise called Zumba and log from my HRM. But if you don't have one, try this:
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/
    It's actually pretty accurate to what I get from my HRM, if you are honest about your intensity!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have found "Aerobics - General" comes the closet to my HRM.
  • razzyjazz
    razzyjazz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just logged on to the zumba calories and it said that I burn about 900 calories and that is just medium pace.
    Whoo hoo
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I just logged on to the zumba calories and it said that I burn about 900 calories and that is just medium pace.
    Whoo hoo

This site is WAY Overestimate for most people. I've been doing zumba for a year, 5-6x a week and work my *kitten* off and even the low on that site is a bit over. I would definately not believe you're burning 900 calories in an hour unless you're very overweight and working like a crazy woman.

Get a good HRM with a chest strap -- everything else is a guess. My typical hour working pretty hard and knowing the routines is 450-500.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I did the same as the others- used the online calculator my first time (it told me 629 calories/hour at "moderate" intensity- I chose moderate to help reduce the margin of overcalculating) and entered it manually on MFP. I finally got my Garmin HRM and used it last night- it told me 772 calories for my 1 hour class!

I'm a dancer, so Zumba comes fairly naturally to me and I work my hips like crazy. It doesn't surprise me that I burn so many calories. I also sweat like CRAZY- I swear I sweat off 2lbs in every class.