Meal Planning on a Budget

Options
Does anyone have any good meal plans or tips for creating a meal plan on a budget? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Eggs for cheap protein.
    Tuna, chicken for pretty cheap protein.
    Beans, rice, potatoes, etc for dirt cheap.
    Canned or frozen veggies are usually cheaper than fresh, but of course no frozen lettuce for salads, so check both options.
    Stir fries, egg muffins, sheet pan dinners are a great start until you find some recipes you like.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Chicken chicken and more chicken.

I also eat chop meat (buy the family sizes of both as they are usually cheaper and can freeze for awhile).

Breakfast for me is:

Oatmeal, a sunny side up egg, and half a serving of shredded cheese

Lunch:

2 servings of cottage cheese and 1 danon light n fit yogurt

Dinner
    Chicken of some kind, rice and veg
    Or
    Pasta with meat sauce
    Or
    Burgers with potato wedges

Snacks:
    Apples
    Carrots
    Mandarin oranges

Dessert:
    One serving of ice cream (acme has the BEST store brand ice cream FYI)
    Or
    One serving of pudding (but the box and mix it with milk, cheaper than the premade cups)
    Or
    One serving of cookies

I feed 2 adults for less than $100 a week in the northeast US.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Since no one has said it yet:
    Keep eating out to a minimum. Those bills usually aren't cheap to begin with, and they add up. If you do a household budget, shift some of those 'eating out' funds over to 'groceries'.

As far as eating at home, in the suggestions above everyone mentioned vegetables, but only one person mentioned fruit (as a snack). Fruit tastes good and it's relatively low-calorie. Nothing wrong with eating it with breakfast (in smoothies or with yogurt), or as a side dish for lunch/dinner.
    I eat 100g strawberries and 100g blueberries every morning with breakfast. For about 100 calories (believe it or not) you'd be surprised how much fruit that is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Here's how the Buff Dudes ate for $20 a week.

I believe they are in Oregon, and shopping at something like a Sam's Club. While chicken may not be that cheap where you are, the video is still a good basis for a plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7IleN4UWTQ

Generally, the less inputs or processing a food has had, the cheaper it will be. Ex: dried beans are cheaper than canned. Rolled oats are cheaper than granola. Etc. You just have to plan ahead.

For example, today I planned to buy three cans of beans for a recipe but all the brands added a preservative I avoid, so I got a pound of dried beans instead. They are soaking now, and I will cook them overnight in my slow cooker. Sure, this takes more time than opening a can, but the dried beans were @ 1/5 the price of the cans, and didn't include ingredients I prefer to avoid.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Follow flyer or online posted sales. Utilize your freezer to prep meals with said sale items for future use. Buy in bulk as your budget and consumption allows. For example: when we were very low income some months I could buy a 20lb bag of rice and a 4L extra virgin olive oil and then smaller sizes of the items needed that week. The next month I had rice and oil still in stock so I would buy a large bag of oats and some bulk chicken legs. Consider cooking and freezing things that may be close to going off before you have time to eat them. Buy things you like. Seems obvious but if you hate spinach for example, the chance is high it will go bad before you convince yourself to eat it. Look for clearance dairy like milk, cheese, cottage cheese. It can be frozen in smaller sizes and while the cheese and cottage cheese may have minor texture changes they are great for a casserole or pizza. If you need to go to the food bank the same rules apply: only accept things you will actually eat.

It takes work, planning and prepping and thinking. But you can eat well on a lower budget. Especially in the us. Canada is a different story. Especially in the rural areas.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Get familiar with when the weekly ads for the grocery stores in your area come out. Every week they have loss leaders that really stretch your budget. Then plan the meals around those items. Impulse purchases kill a budget as do "what am I in the mood for?".

There are lots of resources online. I entered "budget meal planning" in google and there were tons of sites of what people do. This one looked good because it has a list of 10 different websites on it.
    https://www.busybudgeter.com/best-free-meal-plans-budget-friendly/

Chili is a good one, especially if you bulk it up with beans. Frozen vegetables. On sale they are $1 for 12 or 16 oz (in the U.S.). Buy spices from the bulk bins. I spend < $1 for a good sized amount where a jar would $4-8. Or buy the store brand. Store brands are your friend and the quality is on par with the national brands.

I hope this helps. Meal planning is challenging. All of our preferences, family size, calorie needs, allergies, etc. are different. I have a hard enough time finding foods that all 4 of my family members will eat!
  • Cynthia_lilian
    Cynthia_lilian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chef Jose Andres uses 1 chicken to make 5 recipes (enough for 2 portions each meal). You’ll need to register (it’s free) to access this recipe on National Geographic. I made this recipe and it’s worth it. Each recipe is different so it doesn’t feel like you are eating chicken AGAIN.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/food/the-plate/2014/11/04/jose-andres-chicken-recipes/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Another vote for looking at the weekly supermarket flyers and planning meals around what's on sale. You can also use this site to find what's on sale where:

https://flipp.com/home
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    My town is supposed to be the most competitive grocery market in the USA. Kroger and Publix led the pack for years til Walmart muscled in. Then aldi showed up and now Lidl has opened a bunch of stores.

Our local consumer guru said just yesterday that Aldi and Lidl average 40% less than the other three. I know I seem to carry home a ton more food for a lot less money. I drive a micro car, so it’s like filling the gas tank- it’s easy to measure. $100 at the Kroger and publix just barely covers the back, $100 at Lidl piles it so high I have to put some in the front seat.

Our Aldis tend to be a bit in the dirty cramped and crowded side and carry mostly store brands. But, they’re always crowded. Hugely popular.

Lidl is phenomenal. Huge produce section, with great variety of cheap organic produce, an organic store brand area and a gluten free area, lots of meat, an amazing (aka “diet deadly”) in store European style bakery, and a good mix of National and store brands. They also have a lot of European and gourmet foods that are identically packaged to Trader Joe’s products, but a different brand name on the label, at half the price.

A lot of my neighbors are sniffy about both because you bag your own. You’ve got to be joking me! You’d pay how much more to have someone bag for you?!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Leave the prepared/frozen entrees (high in calories/salt/cost), chips, cookies, candy, soda, and other expensive, caloric junk food in the store. Shop the sales and loss leaders, and spend your money on chicken/turkey, eggs, and pork, fresh veggies and fruits, plain canned/frozen items like tomatoes, fruits, vegetables, etc., needed for recipes. Shop the bulk items, if available. If you eat bread, check out a local bakery surplus store. You will need to do more cooking, but your meals will be healthier and you have more control over calorie content.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    You need to tell us where you live. Every country has other ways of getting healthy food on a budget. Here in the Netherlands I spend about 120 Euro per month on food. Mostly fresh produce, fairly small amounts of meat, and a proper amount of snacks!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    https://www.budgetbytes.com

Hope this helps! :)
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    You need to tell us where you live. Every country has other ways of getting healthy food on a budget. Here in the Netherlands I spend about 120 Euro per month on food. Mostly fresh produce, fairly small amounts of meat, and a proper amount of snacks!

OP's profile says Tennessee (United States). Any grocery stores mentioned so far should be available in Tennessee. Except Lidl--apparently it's an Aldi competitor?

I can vouch for almost everything at Aldi, except their meat--go elsewhere for meat. Depending on location you might check the fruit; my location has problems with the freshness of their berries.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I find shoprite by me to have the best meat. Acme and giant have awful meat and I won’t buy it there.

Sams club and bjs have good meat and decent prices on their meat (I have a flatbed freezer so I can buy in bulk).
  • suzij27
    Options
    I can vouch for almost everything at Aldi, except their meat--go elsewhere for meat. Depending on location you might check the fruit; my location has problems with the freshness of their berries.

I agree. Audi’s store brand shelf stable items are lower than elsewhere. The few national brands they carry are considerably higher than a good sale at competitors. I find all of their soft fruit to be uneven in ripeness (turning too ripe), but things like apples and oranges are fine. I’ve never bought meat there.

But of course you have to weigh the time spent in looking at and planning around the ads, going to different stores, etc vs having one go to store.

One other thing I just remembered. The fewer times you go grocery shopping, the less you spend - less impulse purchases and wasted food. If you can meal plan for a month at a time and then go to the store once a month that is optimal on a budget. But it is difficult for most people. 😋
  • kshama2001
    Options

OP's profile says Tennessee (United States). Any grocery stores mentioned so far should be available in Tennessee. Except Lidl--apparently it's an Aldi competitor?

I only buy fresh berries when they are in season; otherwise I buy frozen, which is generally cheaper anyway, and doesn't have issues with shelf life.

Lots of times I pick my own berries - I grow strawberries, Mom grows blackberries and mulberries, and there are abandoned blueberry bushes and cranberry bogs near her that we pick from.

I get apples and peaches from a local orchard - so much better than supermarket!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have fresh, local fruit of one kind or the other available June (strawberries) to at least December (apples.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    My town is supposed to be the most competitive grocery market in the USA. Kroger and Publix led the pack for years til Walmart muscled in. Then aldi showed up and now Lidl has opened a bunch of stores.

Our local consumer guru said just yesterday that Aldi and Lidl average 40% less than the other three. I know I seem to carry home a ton more food for a lot less money. I drive a micro car, so it’s like filling the gas tank- it’s easy to measure. $100 at the Kroger and publix just barely covers the back, $100 at Lidl piles it so high I have to put some in the front seat.

Our Aldis tend to be a bit in the dirty cramped and crowded side and carry mostly store brands. But, they’re always crowded. Hugely popular.

Lidl is phenomenal. Huge produce section, with great variety of cheap organic produce, an organic store brand area and a gluten free area, lots of meat, an amazing (aka “diet deadly”) in store European style bakery, and a good mix of National and store brands. They also have a lot of European and gourmet foods that are identically packaged to Trader Joe’s products, but a different brand name on the label, at half the price.

A lot of my neighbors are sniffy about both because you bag your own. You’ve got to be joking me! You’d pay how much more to have someone bag for you?!

I PREFER to bag my own!

(However, I prefer that someone else scans.)
  • suzij27
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    [
    Lots of times I pick my own berries - I grow strawberries, Mom grows blackberries and mulberries, and there are abandoned blueberry bushes and cranberry bogs near her that we pick from.

I get apples and peaches from a local orchard - so much better than supermarket!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I have fresh, local fruit of one kind or the other available June (strawberries) to at least December (apples.)

Wow! Everything must be more flavorable picked fresh. I’m envious.