Calories Burn, Am I doing it right??

Options
Hello, I recently got a stationary bike. The bike tracks how far, fast, calories burnt, etc. When I go to log in my burned calories in MFP, it says double calories burned then what the bike says. Which one should I be following??

I do an average of 40mins steady pace on 14-16
Bike: 140 calories burned
MFP: 250 calories burned

Weight: 172
Hight: 5'2

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    140 is likely closer to reality for net calories.

Speed on an exercise bike is meaningless. Power output matters indoors. The big problem is most consumer level exercise bikes don't measure watts until a rather significant price point. 140 net calories is close to a 75 watt average output.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How far did the stationary bike go, which room did it end up in?
    How fast did it go from where it started to where it finished? :smiley:
    Sorry - just being flippant but just to reinforce neither speed or distance are real on a stationary bike.
    Leading on from that would show that picking outdoor bike speed ranges from the database would not be appropriate (no rolling or aero resistance, no gravity to fight against).

Unfortunately picking MFP stationary bike effort/intensity levels is also misleading and inaccurate. A certain calorie burn rate could feel intense to someone unfit or moderate to a a fit cyclist or easy to a good cyclist.

Other factors that aren't relevant are your weight (it's not a weight bearing exercise) or your height. There's powerful / high calorie burn rate cyclists who are heavy/light, short/tall and every possible combination.

Just go by your bike's estimate, it may well not be great unless it has a power meter but it's got a good chance of being proportionate. If it does measure and display watts then you can get a very accurate net calorie burn.
  • Ashley91McC
    Ashley91McC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!!! It really helps to understand what is going on.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have said so far here.....MFP calorie burn estimates are just estimates and in my experience tend to be either really high or really low --- or exactly right, depending on the activity. LOL great huh?

I always try to find multiple ways of estimating the calorie burn. For example, if I run - my running app will give me a calorie burn estimate (which is based on my height/weight/age/sex) and I wear a HRM (chest-strap) that also gives me an estimate. I sometimes then will also Google a couple sources to get an estimate of the calorie burn and end up picking something in the middle of all of that.

Now basically I use something in-between my running app estimate and my HRM estimate (cheating more toward my app estimate because it's usually about ~100 cals lower).

I figure if I don't gain/lose anything too crazy (I'm in maintenance now) it's accurate enough.