Canned Tuna Suggestion?

Options
I've always been a picky eater and am just recently starting to branch out into new foods. I heard canned tuna (in moderation) is a great health food so I picked up a can the other day but now I'm not really sure what to do with it. Usually when I eat fresh tuna it's slightly pan seared but I have no idea how to go about this. I'm planning on eating it for lunch but I don't know what to mix with it. I absolutely hate mayo and miracle whip though, which is what everyone has been telling me so far. Any other canned tuna recipes that might taste good?

Replies

• ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    add it to a salad
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    bump. Tuna is not one of my favorites.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    It is great with feta cheese, garbanzo (chick peas) and raw spinach :smile:
  • JennieD3
    Options
    I mix it with tomato puree and add it to pasta x
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    salad, sandwich or in jacket potato :)
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get really tire of mayo too...I can only eat it in teeny amounts (which is good I guess)...I make brown rice and stir the tuna into it...add only pepper, no salt...?? Nothing fancy but it works in a pinch for me. Good Luck!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I usually add some low fat mayo, pepper, dill pickles and make tuna salad out of it. I serve it on a bed of lettuce with avocado wedges. Goes well with canned peaches too if you like sweet-savory stuff! You can sub mayo with cream cheese or cottage cheese, since you don't like it!

There's Niçoise salad too! Bits of tuna, cold green beans, tomatoes and anchovies (optional if you don't like them).
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I eat it with mustard and sometimes taco sauce.
  • Irenna
    Options
    Pasta is good with some roasted peppers or how about a low fat vinegarett with wholemeal pasta

or Lemon :0) you could make a sauce/dressing using fromaige frais
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I despise mayonnaise too. Foul stuff. However, just a little bit works well with tuna. You don't taste the mayo at all. Trust me, just the slightest taste of mayo makes me gag. Salt, pepper, celery, some red pepper, maybe some parmesan cheese. The mayo just helps hold everything together.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Get the gold can albacore fillet tuna. It's $2 but soooo much better and less smelly. I forget the name/brand.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    A great replacement for mayo, for me, is avocado. I treat the avocado as I do the mayo and just mash and mix it in. So good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    mayo, a touch of Dijon, peppers, onions, salt, pepper.

form into patties

coat in panko

pan fry

wa la tuna cakes
  • tymee
    tymee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just add some sweet pickle relish to mine, or dill pickle relish and mix together, delish!! I like it also with sliced celery mixed in as well, and goes great with a fresh tomato and cottage cheese
  • tosuorah77
    tosuorah77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get the solid white albacore tuna and mix it with fat free italian dressing and put in on a bed of greens with tomatoes, cucs, and what ever else veggies you like....
  • erh20000plus
    erh20000plus Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I take the tuna pouches to work with 24 Kellogg's Multigrain crackers and a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Chipotle Queso Cheese. I either mix the tuna and cheese together or I spread the cheese on the crackers and add the tuna on top. Yum!
  • heatherhuerta
    Options
    you can always add lemon juice and eat it with crackers....

or add mustard, celery, a boiled egg, pickles. its all good.
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I mix it with honey mustard and put it on a sandwich. Also last night I mixed it with maybe a teaspoon of cream chese and salt & pepper and put it on top of 2 halves of a toasted english muffin, then topped that off with a half a slice of cheese on each side. Baked it in the toaster oven for about 8 minutes....delicious tuna melt!
  • kelfly
    kelfly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not a tuna fan either and despise mayo or mayo type substitues. However I have found that I enjoy the following:

One Pouch Starkist Yellow Fin Tuna in Olive Oil (drain out as much oil as possible)
    I put in a small bowl and break up (don't want to taste large pieces!!)
    Since I can't stand Mayo, I add a light creamy salad dressing (only a tablespoon or so) such as Ken's Lite Vidalia Onion, or Old Cape Lite Poppyseed.
    I then chop up a small quanity (chop quite small) green or red peppers, celery, or some other cruchy veggie I may have on hand.
    I've also added a small amount of shredded cheese at times.
    I then eat it on low calorie crackers, and it is actualy pretty good! (and a good way to get a bit of protein since I'm not a big meat eater).

I've also eaten the same tuna on a big salad, instead of turkey or ham, and it is not too bad.

Good Luck!
  • jlindros
    jlindros Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I buy the frozen Weight Watcher Fettucine w/ broccoli and add a can of tuna to that...tuna casserole!