need help! What am I doing wrong?

Options
I am a 39 year old women. I weigh 253. I've lost 18 lbs, I started mfp on july 25th. I exercise about 30 to 40 mins a day in the morning doing Tae Bo 6 days a week. I moved up to advanced 2 weeks ago. I eat half of the exercise calories back ranging around 1400 to 1500 a day, my base was 1310. I had a 5lb weight loss 3 weeks ago(yay!!). Then gained a pound( didn't cheat..boo) then today lost that stupid pound. So basicly that stupid scale didn't move for two weeks?? I am frustrated that the weight isn't coming off like it should. I am doing everything right. No cheating, keeping track of food, switched to a protein shake in the morning(yuck), up'd my exercise...ect. In the past I have lost with weight watchers with no exercise or light walking(gained it back minus 20lbs). What am I doing wrong? HELP

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You probably hit a plateau, it happens for everyone from time to time. Usually lasting about two weeks. Just means your body has adjusted. If you haven't, try adding cardio on top of your daily classes.
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? I frequently find that when the scale isn't moving, my body is still changing. Sometimes your muscle gain covers your fat loss on the scale.
  • abow29
    Options
    I agree. Hitting plateaus is no fun at all -- I feel like smashing my head against the wall when i hit one, but by now I have gotten used to it. Most importantly, do not feel discouraged. Keep up the good work. I have had 2 week periods of eating super healthy and exercising with no weight loss or even a 2 lbs gain (NOT fun). But, in the end, I am sure you will keep losing weight as long as you stick to your schedule.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend some strength training.... add in some weights to build more muscle. Muscle takes more resting energy to sustain than fat that just sits there. You could be burning more calories by doing the same Tae Bo workout if you had more muscle that needed the energy. I think all women need some strength training, plus it has been known to help with bone density loss in later years. Might as well take care of yourself now :)
  • Bagtown
    Options
    you are building more lean muscle mass, which is a very good thing. As you do that, the new muscle is heavier and more dense so the scale may not move much. I hit a plateau also about 4 months in. For me it lasted around 6 weeks of the scale not fluctuating more than a pound in both directions. Then finally after a few days of changing my routine the scale weight dropped off fast for about 2-3 weeks. My body was changing the whole time, however the scale was fighting me. You may also want to try adding some fiber to your diet. I found that when I added protein shakes (GNC Max Protein, taste great) I really needed to add some fiber.
  • amberdaniels
    Options
    Since you are doing a lot of exercise, you are probably gaining muscle and it is heavier than fat. So that is great. It is not a bad thing. Give it a couple of more weeks and you will start loosing again. The muscle will start burning more fat for you. A guy told me that "your body is working for you at this point". And that is a good thing. Just wait and see.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? I frequently find that when the scale isn't moving, my body is still changing. Sometimes your muscle gain covers your fat loss on the scale.

DO this! Changes in body dimensions without real movement in weight suggests muscle is being added just fast enough relative to fat loss that the scale doesn't move but you are progressing. If this is the case, the fat will start to come off (and the weight) in the coming weeks.

Two other things to consider. You might be in a cycle of loss that involves ups and downs. As I look back on my history, I have consistently had two week periods of rapid loss (avg. 6 lbs. off in two weeks) followed by 2 - 3 weeks of slower loss (avg. 1 lb. a week)...doesn't matter what I eat or how I exercise, I have alternating fast and slow loss periods. Finally, do you watch your water and sodium closely? If not, this could account for your seemingly inexplicable ups and downs. Keep sodium low (as much to protect BP as anything else) and water adequate for your body size and exercise needs.
  • StudioMaid
    StudioMaid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean, but in reality as you get older it IS harder to lose the weight. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! And you also have
    to take into consideration that muscle will add weight and with all the exercise you have been doing you are
    gaining muscle, that's a good thing. Switch up your exercises. Walk a couple of miles every other day and do
    something else the other days. Do this a week at a time.
    I'm 55 and it will take me longer to lose all the weight I want to lose (I want to lose 110 pounds). It could take ME
    up to two years. I know this sounds discouraging but please don't let it. Just keep up the great job you are doing
    and plug along. You will be glad that you stayed on track. Good luck to you.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options

DO this! Changes in body dimensions without real movement in weight suggests muscle is being added just fast enough relative to fat loss that the scale doesn't move but you are progressing. If this is the case, the fat will start to come off (and the weight) in the coming weeks.

Two other things to consider. You might be in a cycle of loss that involves ups and downs. As I look back on my history, I have consistently had two week periods of rapid loss (avg. 6 lbs. off in two weeks) followed by 2 - 3 weeks of slower loss (avg. 1 lb. a week)...doesn't matter what I eat or how I exercise, I have alternating fast and slow loss periods. Finally, do you watch your water and sodium closely? If not, this could account for your seemingly inexplicable ups and downs. Keep sodium low (as much to protect BP as anything else) and water adequate for your body size and exercise needs.

^^^^^^ TOTALLY agree with Scott!

I have also found that as a woman, I definitely have a pattern of weight gain/loss. I will lose one week, gain the next, lose, then gain over the course of a month. I am pre-menopausal and you can probably guess my gain weeks. However, by logging my weight each week, I have noticed this pattern and don't get so hung up in what the scale says.
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend some strength training.... add in some weights to build more muscle. Muscle takes more resting energy to sustain than fat that just sits there. You could be burning more calories by doing the same Tae Bo workout if you had more muscle that needed the energy. I think all women need some strength training, plus it has been known to help with bone density loss in later years. Might as well take care of yourself now :)

I agree with above! Strength training is the key, you need to build/maintain muscles. With Tae Bo it is more of a cardio work out and what you could do is add some weights to it to build the muscles. Did you know that a runner doesn't tap into their fat cells for about 35-45 mins into the run, unless they do intervals of sprinting then they can tap into them within 15-20 min. Change up your workout routine, your body/muscles remember routines so shake it up with some weights or a different type of excersize.
  • Goddess111682
    Goddess111682 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    IM YELLING AT YOU!!! LOL :laugh:

Since you do your Tae-bo in the morning, in the evenings when you get of work, go WALK! Change up your pattern!
    I ALSO agree with what everyone has been telling you!

And since your still losing inches.....your still losing! :happy:
  • Andrea_Reid
    Options
    Thank you all for the advive. I have been measuring and haven't lost many inches. I lost abut 3 from my hips and 2 from my waist in the 1st couple weeks and nothing lately. I would love some ideas on other at home exercise. I stick with tae bo because its sorta fun and I don't hate it like I did the biggest loser work outs. I had a hysterectomy 6 months ago so hard core exercising still hurts some. I have 2lbs weights at home and the WII,what do you suggest?
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you have Dance Dance Revolution? My girlfriend swears by it and she lost over 100lbs most of it due to doing this. Just strap on some weights to your legs and wrists.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plateau, which can be really frustrating. They say your body is adjusting. Some things I have been told is to increase water it flushes out the toxins and when eating eat something every 2-3 hours it keeps your metabolism up thereby burning calories and you have weight loss...
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in changing your diet. Are you eating the same thing day in, day out? Try doing a no carb day, followed by a low carb day, and then a higher carb day. Then start over again. On a no carb day, have eggs for breakfast, chicken and green veggies for lunch, snack on almonds in between, and then do chicken and green veggies for dinner. Low carb day, do a fruit smoothie for breakfast, chicken in a low carb wrap for lunch, nuts for snack, and chicken with veggies and a 1/2 cup of black beans for dinner. High carb days start off with oatmeal, 1/2 cup blueberries, and 2 egg whites for breakfast, chicken, green veggies, and 1/2 cup corn for lunch, and chicken (or fish), green veggies, and 1/2 cup potatoes for lunch. Keep your body guessing. It would be great also it you can work out a little more intense on your no carb days as well. Stay within your calorie range, of course. But even then, change it up. Eat 1400 calories one day, 1200 then next, then 1500. Don't let your body adapt!

Here is a recipe for a delicious fruit smoothie: 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup water, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, and 1 cup fruit. Berry fruit is lower on the glycemic index. I buy frozen fruit, no sugar added. Blueberries are the easiest to measure.