Did anyone have to change their diet cold turkey/go the whole hog/all or nothing for health reasons?

Such as for a diabetes or fatty liver diagnosis?

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    xtineart wrote: »
    Yes, as I was finally diagnosed as allergic to sulphites, preservatives and salicylate acid. So out went all sausages, wine, jams, dried fruits, a lot of vegetables fruits and spices, coffee and tea pretty much overnight. As a result my skin has cleared and I look younger and healthier, my hair is shiny and my nails grow, my asthma has almost completely gone but unfortunately my weight went up as I was eating stuff I could actually eat without being constantly ill.

That sounds rough! The results sound good though.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Thanks. Its been a long battle. For a long time I was skinny as a rake. Then steroids ballooned me up whole fighting the reactions. The past couple of years I've enjoyed being sk much healthier overall but my weight was creeping up as I'm on lifetime steroids plus took refuge in my safe foods list which is mainly dairy, simple carbs like potatoes, pasta, bread and rice and meat, fish and sugar and very little fruit or veg. Not great for my waistband. I'm now trying to focus on staying healthier and losing the weight by calorie counting. My diet is still basically potatoes, chocolate, cheese and a few root vegetables andvthe occasional piece of fruit, but limiting and monitoring the amount properly should mean I stay healthy AND slim.

Good luck on your own journeys
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Diabetes, fatty liver, htn, and possible WLS....
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I did, diabetes diagnosis. A1c was 11 when I was diagnosed. I got a blood glucose meter and started testing after every meal and basing my diet on keeping my bg within healthy levels. Next doctor’s appointment a1c was under 5 and has never been over 5 since then! I have never eaten keto or low carb, but I do need to limit my carbs at each sitting to about 45 g net unless I have been exercising first.

I also started losing weight, but honestly for me, keeping my bg within limits automatically prevented me from overeating the foods I was used to eating, and losing weight was the simple part.
  • peppermintmama
    peppermintmama Posts: 30 Member
    Yes, I started a new medication that raise cholesterol and triglycerides and so I have to take on a plant based diet because of this, totally worth it in the long run!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    xtineart wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised 2 people have taken time to disagree with my replies. I'd be interested to know why, when I explained that I'm allergic to salicylate and sulphite which is basically leafy green plants or plant derivatives. I can't eat broccoli or strawberries even if I wanted to as my face puffs up, my throat swells and I get mild anaphylaxis, sometimes severe from high levels such as tomato sauces, coconut oil or heavily spiced curries. I have a limited safe food list mainly root veg, bread meat and dairy though I don't find meat very filling so pure keto doesn't suit me as I gain weight quickly when combined with my steroids or am very hungry. I have a good balance for me of simple carbs, animal protein and small amounts of safe fruit such as peeled apples. I wish I could eat plant based but when I was very ill the more traditional healthy food I tried the more sick I became. I couldn't understand why drinking coffee or eating a salad would preclude a severe asthma attack until testing confirmed my rare but well studied allergies.

Don't let it bother you. People have no right to judge the food choices of someone with a strict 'safe foods list'. They either missed that important detail, or they're just jerks.

You're certainly not advocating that everyone eat the way you do.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Thanks brett I'm just curious i guess. I'm definitely not advocating my particular diet to anyone else unless the have my specific allergy 🤧. The thread us for people who gave had to make severe changes to hiw they eat fir health reasons and my reason is just one of many. No more or less valid than someone eating more plants or less sugar to fight diabetes or less alcohol for liver health. All are equally valid and all are important.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    I had to quit eating salt for about 5 years because I was taking steroids. EVERYTHING has salt. I was reallllly bloated during that time because I couldn't really avoid salt 100%. Glad it's over. Now, my treatment only has increased risk of gout, diabetes, and tumours, that's all :|
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Not exactly.

My doctor threatening statins (for my consistently very high cholesterol) was the trigger that finally got me to lose weight, after 3 decades plus just over the line into class 1 obese. I was already routinely very active (exercise-wise) and had been for over a decade. I had been vegetarian for over 40 years. It wasn't enough to get my cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure into a healthy zone.

But it wasn't (in my mind) "cold turkey/go the whole hog/all or nothing".

I started rough calorie counting (estimating major items), then joined MFP and started logging when the weight loss started to slow (I'd already lost 20-some pounds at that point, and dropped below obese BMI). I didn't appreciably change my exercise routine (I did try to be more consistent with strength training, which I'd otherwise been doing more episodically or seasonally around my main training/competitive season. I didn't dramatically change which foods I eat, I just reduced portions, changed proportions of various things (like more veggies, less pasta), and reduced frequency of certain calorie-dense foods (e.g., don't eat fried potatoes as often).

Partway through weight loss, I was diagnosed with gallbladder adenomymatosis (which is not stones or sludge). When they took the sucker out, it was an ugly cholesterolized thing, with thickened walls and actual holes in it. That cemented my decision to reach and maintain a healthy weight.

Five years past weight loss, now age 65, I'm still at a healthy weight, still routinely active, still eating about the same way . . . with solidly normal cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure.

(Psychologically, "cold turkey/go the whole hog/all or nothing" is too much drama for me, though revolutionary change may be a good route for some people. I don't like drama, personally. Thinking in terms of evolving better habits is more suited to my outlook. And I agree with cwolfman13 that obesity is the biggest single factor in most of these health issues, closely followed by activity/exercise. For me, with an already-active exercise routine, calorie management was the big deal, and pretty much the only deal.)
  • cyaneverfat
    Looks like I'll have to
    Just got the results of my blood test. I only just have diabetes (mild diabetes) and if I eat low fat, low sugar and low carbs for three months I can reverse it. I'm not sure how I can eat in a way that is filling/satisfying over that time, its going to be hard giving up bacon and cheese etc.
  • rheddmobile
    edited December 2020
    Looks like I'll have to
    Just got the results of my blood test. I only just have diabetes (mild diabetes) and if I eat low fat, low sugar and low carbs for three months I can reverse it. I'm not sure how I can eat in a way that is filling/satisfying over that time, its going to be hard giving up bacon and cheese etc.

Why the recommendation for low fat? Although eating lower fat can make weight loss easier, since fat has more calories per gram than other foods, eating low fat has nothing to do with reversing diabetes. I eat bacon twice a week and my bloods are consistently in normal levels.

Try adding in new vegetables and high fiber fruit - eating one new thing every time you go to the grocery can help expand your repertoire of healthy foods you like.
  • Terraklein33
    Terraklein33 Posts: 2 Member
    Yes changed mine cold turkey I use equate drinks in the morning banana or apple for a snack then a light salad for lunch nothing inbetween and dinner I usually do a heavier salad or a meat n veggie I quit energy drinks and coffee my two bad habits 6 days ago also when I started about 6 water bottles a day I’m so excited to see the difference I already feel 10x better
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    @xtineheart, I suspect the statement that steroids are causing your weight creep is what they disagree with. I am a double transplant recipient and take steroids(prednisone) daily as part of my transplant care and do not experience weight creep. In fact, I have lost over 60 pounds while on transplant meds. I have chronic kidney disease stage 3b and must limit protein and salt. I am also allergic to dairy and have completely eliminated it from my diet.
  • cyaneverfat
    Looks like I'll have to

Why the recommendation for low fat?

I also have fatty liver and a heightened cholesterol which is being treated with tablets. So I have a few things going on.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Did they give you a referral to a dietitian or at least some very specific diet guidelines? Low carb and low fat seem hard to do together and usually there are specific things meant by that (as well as differences between sources of carbs and fat that are more important than total numbers).

When I first started hanging out here (years ago) there was a poster who did a fatty liver diet (I believe she had NASH) that was both low sugar/refined carbs and low fat, but mainly low sat fat, with some types of fat (those in fish, nuts and seeds, avocados) okay, and whole food, higher fiber carbs (including fruits, as well as veg) okay too. For her it was a big change too, but she seemed to be doing well with it.
  • rheddmobile
    Looks like I'll have to

Why the recommendation for low fat?

I also have fatty liver and a heightened cholesterol which is being treated with tablets. So I have a few things going on.

Ah, well then. Still you probably won’t have to give up bacon forever, just cut back. Hopefully losing weight in general will help with the fatty liver - it did for mine!

One of the most important things you can do for improving your insulin sensitivity is strength work. Lifting heavy keeps my glucose low for almost 48 hours afterwards!