My first real "mistake" in maintenance

I've been maintaining 130-135-ish for almost 2 years now, Had my ups and downs but has been surprisingly easy in the end. Then late Oct hit, I stopped really paying attention to my eating as much. One icecream bar turned into icecream bars every night, The morning coffee with milk turned into coffee with creamer. Little things like that. I was already on my higher end of maintenance at that point but I just ignored it. Dec 1st decided to weigh for the first time in a while 138. Overweight BMI again. Ugh! Thankfully I caught onto it before it became 30+lbs again. I've been eating at a fairly high deficit for the last 5 days and I have lost about 3 pounds of presumably water weight(and a little fat) so I'm technically in my "okay" zone again but I think I'm going to try to plug the holes where I know I started messing up instead of trying to keep a sizeable deficit. I really don't want to feel like I'm on a "diet" again, I just want to maintain with a few little tweaks so hopefully over time I'll shave off a few pounds to my low range again.

Sorry for my "woe is me" rant :D

Replies

• Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Good for you for catching it comparatively quickly! I let mine creep up to the top of "overweight" before I took action. Your way is much better!

I've done that before, and vowed I'd never lose more than 10 pounds at one go again! I think maintaining on the high end of BMI also gets my butt into gear sooner as well since I toe the "normal to overweight" line sooner (But I have my reasons for being this weight, It's all good!)
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    The thing is that when you've tracked and monitored for so long you do know in the back of your mind if you are slipping, and what the long term result will be if you don't rein it back. The important thing is to do this in time, which you've done, so well done! It's very easy to bury one's head in the sand and then not dare to get on the scales and then eat treats to cheer oneself up and then...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,971 Member
    Good self-insight, excellent self-honesty. Well done!