I guess I can make it official...

Options
I'm not one to brag about myself, but I guess this is the place to do it, right? So here's my story, and hopefully it can inspire some...

I started my journey with MFP way back in 2012, about 9 months after the birth of my 2nd child. I actually started because I joined a "weight loss challenge" through our local park district. I managed to lose 35 pounds, AND I won the 3rd place prize! I WAS breastfeeding at the time, so maybe I had a slightly unfair advantage, but I managed to keep that weight off, and even lose about 5-7 more pounds. However, I have struggled with my weight most of my life...from being a slightly chubby kid, self-conscious about her size, to a teenager who became borderline anorexic, which started off years and YEARS of disordered eating/thinking about food (I'm now 44, so that's a long time).

My weight started creeping up back November just a bit, so went on the Body Reset Diet (again) to kickstart my weight loss. I did manage to lose a few pounds, but was kind of at a standstill. Then, the pandemic came, and I could see myself starting to head in the wrong direction. Rather than gain the "quarantine 15," I decided to try go in the opposite direction and get serious about losing those last few pounds, and even trying to see if I could get to my "real" goal weight (about 12 pounds less than when I initially started with MFP). Mind you, I felt pretty decent about my body, but wanted to see if I could actually do it with more focus, yet not feeling deprived and like it was doable for life.

I knew I wanted to lose weight slowly, and man was it slow--and bumpy! My goal was to lose 1/2 pound a week, and it probably did even out to be about that--although it felt even slower! All in all, it took me 5 months to lose 8-9 pounds, and then even after I reached my goal, it started to creep back up once I started on an SSRI. Luckily, even though I've had to change how I eat pre-SSRI (cutting off eating earlier), I'm back to goal!

I feel different about it this time around because I did lose it so slowly, don't feel deprived and just am trying live in overall balance. I just feel better when I eat better. I don't feel good now if I eat too much of the wrong things or too much. I'm really focused on getting strong, too, and I admit...I like the way I look with more defined abs. I want to say I hope it stays off this time...but don't even want to look at it this way, either. I plan on keeping this up for life!

If you've read all this, thanks for bearing with me!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You’ve done great! It must be really hard to overcome an eating disorder. You sound like you’ve really got it all together now!
    Congratulations on your journey!
  • Anne_R91
    Anne_R91 Posts: 29 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    That sounds like a very long road and you've done so well!
    Especially with the SSRI on top of that. I've had a long talk with my psychiatrist and I just don't want to go back on SSRI because I'm so scared of not being able to keep loosing weight with those (plus other reasons as well of course.) But being able to do that, I'm impressed! Congrats :)
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You did it right and it sounds like you learned a lot in the process. Wonderful! Funny, I started off with a weight loss contest too. It was canceled because of the pandemic but I feel like I won. Congratulations on your health and balanced attitude.
  • Sailor555
    Sailor555 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's official! You definitely deserve to recognize your achievement. Thanks for sharing and congratulations.
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and thank you for sharing your journey with us. It goes to show that with the time and effort you put in you loss your weight the right way. Keep up the good work.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Anne_R91 wrote: »
    That sounds like a very long road and you've done so well!
    Especially with the SSRI on top of that. I've had a long talk with my psychiatrist and I just don't want to go back on SSRI because I'm so scared of not being able to keep loosing weight with those (plus other reasons as well of course.) But being able to do that, I'm impressed! Congrats :)

Thank you! When I was starting to gain and it felt like I was still eating the same as I was before, I thought about asking to try a different med or decreasing the dosage (I'm only on 10 mg). The thought of gaining weight was making me anxious. I decided to try my version of intermittent fasting by cutting off my eating and trying to go at least 12 hours before eating again. Ironically, before Lexapro this was would make me anxious, thinking I wouldn't be able to do it and end up uncontrollably snacking (probably from years of a cycle of overly-restrictive eating followed by bingeing). I'm finding it easier to do than I thought.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!