100 pounds down; conquered childhood obesity

Options
Hello everyone. I'm just making this topic to show that it IS possible to beat obesity, and the fact is..you'll look and feel so much better afterwards. Here's my story: I was homeschooled at the age of 10. With homeschooling, I didn't have to leave my house. Nor did I have PE or anything like that. So, I ate, played video games and slept all day. I would do exercise up until 12 which is when my mom was diagnosed with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and tons of other things which were triggered after my dad had cancer. From this age on, I ate and ate and ate, and slept and slept..up until 15, where I was 280 pounds.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8677/digcam20081117002.jpg

(Yup...pretty brutal isn't it?)

I got put back into a private school and started having PE and better food. With PE and better food alone I dropped 60 pounds. I would also run .50 of a mile a day..it wasn't much, but I was really, REALLY out of shape.

I got back into homeschooling and stopped doing stuff for awhile. I remained 220 pounds for the longest time until I randomly dropped to 210 (I seriously don't even know how..it just happened lol)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/img2366v.jpg

Finally, I realized I need to do more..I need to better myself. 210 wasn't the right place to stop at. I still had fat over my jeans. Still didn't look right in any T-shirt I wore. I started running 1 mile a day, then 2 days later, doubled it to 2 miles..then finally, a day after that, 3 miles. I've been running 3 miles a day since June. And it REALLY shows.

(just look at my profile photo..it makes more sense than for me to upload it :o )

Note: this is all over a span of 3 years. However, I dropped 40 pounds since the start of this year so this is my biggest year-drop yet.

With eating right and exercise, you can easily burn off that weight. Remember that binge eating is just temporary satisfaction. You can either eat what you want all day and run 10 miles, or control what you eat and only run 3 miles. Choice is up to you, but I'd honestly choose 3 miles.

I don't blame my parents for this, as I'd assume some might blame parents for childhood obesity. I chose for myself to eat all these horrible foods; I'd even eat their food. They've been my main motivation and the only reason why I lost all this weight. They've made sacrifices (ie turkey meat instead of hamburger meat, chicken instead of hamburgers, etc) and are the most loving parents I could ask for.

However, my poor uncle is a fat enabler. He'll go out and eat out everyday, buys unhealthy stuff for his house and doesn't live healthy at all. He was the main person I hung out with and possibly why I gained so much weight. But..with the weight I've lost, he became motivated and has gone from 240 pounds to 215 pounds and is eating healthier. If you lose weight, it'll bring your family to lose weight as well. I love my uncle and I'm so happy to know he'll be here with me longer because of his lifestyle improving.

If you motivate your family and motivate yourself to lose weight, in the end, it'll just cause a huge circle of motivation and lifestyle improvements. Do it for yourself..do it for your family. You'll never be disappointed in what you become.

note: the weird thing is, I had 2 ex-girlfriends when I was fat..now, girls don't give me the time of day!

I love adding people on here, so if anyone wants to..go ahead. I have my food diary set to friends. You can get meal ideas from me, exercise ideas, or maybe even motivation. Sometimes I gorge on a large pizza, but those days are just a reward day (it's a reward for doing good all week, or a reward for running all week or month..NOT just randomly ordering a large pizza and devouring it lol).

Replies

• cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    That's an incredible transformation. I admire what you've been able to do. I wish I had that motivation and drive when I was your age. It is definitely exciting and you have your whole future ahead of you. Fantastic job!
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Freaking awesome!!! Congratulations!!!! Keep up the great work :smile:
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm just making this topic to show that it IS possible to beat obesity, and the fact is..you'll look and feel so much better afterwards. Here's my story: I was homeschooled at the age of 10. With homeschooling, I didn't have to leave my house. Nor did I have PE or anything like that. So, I ate, played video games and slept all day. I would do exercise up until 12 which is when my mom was diagnosed with chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and tons of other things which were triggered after my dad had cancer. From this age on, I ate and ate and ate, and slept and slept..up until 15, where I was 280 pounds.

digcam20081117002.jpg

(Yup...pretty brutal isn't it?)

I got put back into a private school and started having PE and better food. With PE and better food alone I dropped 60 pounds. I would also run .50 of a mile a day..it wasn't much, but I was really, REALLY out of shape.

I got back into homeschooling and stopped doing stuff for awhile. I remained 220 pounds for the longest time until I randomly dropped to 210 (I seriously don't even know how..it just happened lol)

img2366v.jpg

Finally, I realized I need to do more..I need to better myself. 210 wasn't the right place to stop at. I still had fat over my jeans. Still didn't look right in any T-shirt I wore. I started running 1 mile a day, then 2 days later, doubled it to 2 miles..then finally, a day after that, 3 miles. I've been running 3 miles a day since June. And it REALLY shows.

(just look at my profile photo..it makes more sense than for me to upload it :o )

Note: this is all over a span of 3 years. However, I dropped 40 pounds since the start of this year so this is my biggest year-drop yet.

With eating right and exercise, you can easily burn off that weight. Remember that binge eating is just temporary satisfaction. You can either eat what you want all day and run 10 miles, or control what you eat and only run 3 miles. Choice is up to you, but I'd honestly choose 3 miles.

I don't blame my parents for this, as I'd assume some might blame parents for childhood obesity. I chose for myself to eat all these horrible foods; I'd even eat their food. They've been my main motivation and the only reason why I lost all this weight. They've made sacrifices (ie turkey meat instead of hamburger meat, chicken instead of hamburgers, etc) and are the most loving parents I could ask for.

However, my poor uncle is a fat enabler. He'll go out and eat out everyday, buys unhealthy stuff for his house and doesn't live healthy at all. He was the main person I hung out with and possibly why I gained so much weight. But..with the weight I've lost, he became motivated and has gone from 240 pounds to 215 pounds and is eating healthier. If you lose weight, it'll bring your family to lose weight as well. I love my uncle and I'm so happy to know he'll be here with me longer because of his lifestyle improving.

If you motivate your family and motivate yourself to lose weight, in the end, it'll just cause a huge circle of motivation and lifestyle improvements. Do it for yourself..do it for your family. You'll never be disappointed in what you become.

note: the weird thing is, I had 2 ex-girlfriends when I was fat..now, girls don't give me the time of day!

I love adding people on here, so if anyone wants to..go ahead. I have my food diary set to friends. You can get meal ideas from me, exercise ideas, or maybe even motivation. Sometimes I gorge on a large pizza, but those days are just a reward day (it's a reward for doing good all week, or a reward for running all week or month..NOT just randomly ordering a large pizza and devouring it lol).

1st image worked... not sure what the deal is with the 2nd... sorry if you didn't want the image here!

Great job overcoming!!
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!! Keep it up!
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Congrats dude! :D
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I am happy for you!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    AWESOME and inspirational!
  • LostButterfly
    LostButterfly Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Amazing Story & Congratulations!!!
  • dsaphire
    dsaphire Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just wonderful - you look fabulous and I'm sure the girls will start noticing soon, especially with your obviously warm and loving personality. Just get out more . . . ask a female friend to go running with you or start training with you for a marathon. Sign up for a healthy cooking class (you already know how to eat healthy, but it would be a good place to meet people with similar interests). Good luck and keep up the healthy life -- you are an inspiration.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    awesome story!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Great story! Super job on your success!!

As for the girls? I dunno, maybe they think you're too good for them...? :wink:

Manda
  • baberuthless_
    Options
    Congratulations, you look great! Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your very motivational story. It's amazing to see what you can accomplish with a positive attitude and consistent hard work. Congratulations on getting healthy so young. :happy:
  • kwhitex6
    Options
    That's incredible that you did that yourself and at such a young age- you took charge! Good for you and what a great healthy life you will lead! Thanks for sharing !
  • Lmerlini
    Options
    very impressive. you should be so proud :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story. Congrats to you!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    WOW, what an amazing transformation. Congrats & keep it up with the maintenance ;o)
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You should be so proud of yourself for conquering your weight problem at such a young age. It takes some of us waaaaaay longer for it to sink it. You look great! Don't worry about the girls...they'll come to their senses soon enough :)
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Your story is very inspiring. You are a very mature kid as you take responsibility for what you ate.
    You've done great and seem set to keep healthy eating and active habits.
    Congratulations!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!