Starting ... again. Sigh

Options
Hi guys. I started losing weight a few months ago and was doing ok. Then, I stopped seeing results and got discouraged. I slowly stopped tracking and now I’ve gained it all back. I seriously feel like I’m sabotaging myself. Now, I’ve stepped on my scale and I’m on the verge of tears. Every time I have to restart i feel overwhelmed. I guess my question is what should I focus on first so I don’t get overwhelmed? Also, if anyone knows of a good mental health counselor send me a message. I think I need to address some old issues that might be interfering with my progress. Thanks

Replies

• The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @jessackerman21 Just take it 1 day at a time and just focus on logging everything that you put in your mouth. You can lose weight just by staying under your calorie goal each day. I have lost 50lbs so far and it takes dedication, but you can do this and NEVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Make a serious change like giving up white flour, white sugar, something like that. See a nutritionist if that helps.
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would also like to thank everyone with their posts. I did the same exact thing as the original poster. I lost weight and gained it back. Starting the journey once again but it is discouraging. The "one day at a time" is great advice and I keep telling myself that I did it once and I can do it again.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    cbihatt wrote: »
    In my personal experience, I can not be successful at losing weight if I am not in the right head space. What you describe, being “on the verge of tears” is not a good place to start. I have to take the time to get myself into a more positive, hopeful mindset. That way I can focus on my goals and my actions rather than my feelings of failure and inadequacy. I don’t have any deep seeded trauma in my background, so this is something I’ve always felt I could do on my own.

One thing I’ve found helpful is to not compare my present self to my past self. I know that is easier said than done, but I can’t expect my body to perform in ways it has in the past when I have not yet put in the work to make that performance possible again. I have to forgive myself for not living up to my own expectations in the past, and work within my current capabilities.

So the question becomes, what are you currently capable of? If weighing yourself is traumatizing, maybe skip getting on the scale until it doesn’t feel that way anymore. If counting calories is too much, forget about it until it feels comfortable again. Start where you are. Can you take a walk every day? Can you stop eating massive quantities of (insert food name)? Can you drink more water? Can you cook dinner instead of getting takeout?

These are the things that no one else can tell you about yourself. Unfortunately, you have to figure it out on your own. In my experience, it sometimes takes longer than I would like to get myself back on track, but I always manage it somehow. Because, like another poster said, “In reality, we will never stop.”
    Thank you! I don't mean to hijack this thread but this post was so inspiring to me I just had to post it. It was so much more than just hitting the "inspire" button. I need to reread this over and over.

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    @sarah7591
    I’m glad you found it helpful!
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For me it was determination! Physically I wanted better so I started an EASY workout routine then progressed to harder ones, I started a food journal and then mfp. I kept showing up! It worked!
    Mentally I cling to Lord Jesus and read His word everyday! I have a great hope beyond this flesh body! 💟
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    In your post, you answered your questions on what caused your regain. That you weren't losing fast enough and let yourself get discouraged. You stopped logging..and regained it back. You tend to sabotage yourself.

It is natural to feel down and beat yourself up. But it is time to dust yourself off..get back to it.. and learn from your mistakes and develop strategies and plans so you don't repeat history.

It is what we all do.. we come back and do better each time until we learn the hard lessons that are part of a weight loss journey.

I still come back.. but it is for smaller regains.. and I've had good success with a long period of maintenance (before lockdown).. after years of sticking to it.. I finally have learned what really works and why I kept doing some destructive behaviors over and over.