Quinoa?

Options
I've seen it in several people's food logs.
What is it?

Is it good? How do you make it?

Where do you buy it? My Publix didn't have it (that I could find.)

Replies

• bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Its a very tasty grain, and you may have to look in the ethnic food aisle to find it. You cook it much like rice. At kroger's its in with the asian/african foods.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • maghedo
    maghedo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is one of the best if not the best whole protein. It absorbs quickly into the body and it's amazing. I make a pot every week. Do it UP!!!!!!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great!!!! It is great and very good for you, I love it!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    it's as easy as rice. very simple. I find it a little boring just on it's own. so I typically make a Quinoa salad. cooK the quinoa (I like Tru-Roots Organic) per instructions. Let cool. Add walnuts, chickpeas, celery, onion. For dressing I also use Rice Vinegar and some Dijon Mustard. I mix just before I eat each portion.
  • MammaEllis
    Options
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/basic-quinoa.php

Its packed with protein and fiber. A great substitute for rice. You eat it as a grain but its actually part of the spinach family... weird huh?
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    In my grocery store, it is located in the organic foods section. You cook it up just like rice and it is a great high-protein substitute for rice or pasta. I like mine mixed with grape tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese and a little bit of light balsamic vinaigrette. Or with corn, black beans, tomatoes (or salsa) and chicken.
  • ValorieSalcido
    ValorieSalcido Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's a super grain that is WAY better for you than rice and other starchy carbohydrates. I buy mine at Costco. I get a 4 lb bag for around $10 which I've heard half that size goes for the same price at other stores.
    And you do cook it just like rice and you can add chicken broth or whatever because it will absorb the flavor as you cook it.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is fabulous! It's a grain and has, among other things, lots of protein. Definitely check into it. You can find it at most health food type stores - Chamberlains, Whole Foods Market, etc.

I make a quinoa salad with it. Boil according to package directions, drain well, add in olive oil, vinegar, little salt, chopped red onion, chopped cucumber, chopped mint (yes, mint). It's delicious. That's not my recipe by the way. I got it from some cookbook somewhere. But it's so yummy!!!
  • MissieB76
    Options
    Quiona is a staple in our house. Packed with protein This site has some great recipies:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/healthy-recipes/super-foods/whole-grains/quinoa/main.aspx
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a type of grain. It resembles couscous some. You cook it just like you would cook rice. I put it in the rice cooker, add my fat free chicken or vegetable broth, add some seasoning, and let it cook. You can eat it hot or cold, but I prefer it hot. I like to have it along side grilled salmon and grilled veggies.

it's very good and extremely healthy. I buy it at the inernational store, but I've seen it sold at the local grocery store as well. I've also bought it at Big Lots for a really good deal.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great!!!! It is great and very good for you, I love it!

im a veggie and heard of this stuff. can it be a good substitute for rice? I need all the protein I can get.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Quinoa Black Bean Salad: Moosewood Lowfat

Higher in protein than any other grain, quioa is chewy with a delicious, almost nutlike flavor. Bolstered with the nutritional power of black beans, this salad is hearty, healthy eating at its best.

1/3 c. quinoa
    1 c. water
    1 t. olive oil
    4 t. fresh lime juice, or more to taste
    1/4 t. ground cumin
    1/4 t. ground coriander
    1 T. finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 T. minced scallions
    1 1/2 c. cooked black beans (15 ounce can, drained)
    2 c. diced tomatoes
    1 c. diced bell peppers (red, green, yellow or a mixture)
    2 t. minced fresh green chiles
    salt and ground black pepper to taste
    lemon or lime wedges

Rinse the quinoa well in a sieve under cool running water In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, add the quinoa, cover, and simmer on low heat, until all of the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
    In a small bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilntro and scallions. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, bell peppers and chiles. Add the cooled quinoa, and salt and pepper to taste, and combine thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with lemon or lime wedges.

Nutrition Info from the cookbook:
    Cal 197 fiber 3.4 fat 2.8 per 1 cup (that is 3.5 WW points)

This is AWESOME!!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is fabulous! It's a grain and has, among other things, lots of protein. Definitely check into it. You can find it at most health food type stores - Chamberlains, Whole Foods Market, etc.

I make a quinoa salad with it. Boil according to package directions, drain well, add in olive oil, vinegar, little salt, chopped red onion, chopped cucumber, chopped mint (yes, mint). It's delicious. That's not my recipe by the way. I got it from some cookbook somewhere. But it's so yummy!!!

thanks for sharing this - i'm going to give it a go. i've never tried quinoa before, but this made me want to, so thanks!
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You don't have to look in the Ethnic food isle that is a bunch of Hoooey! My wife eats it all the time. They make pasta noodles, and all sorts of things out of it. It's usually in the Health Food Section. My wife has Celiac Disease and this is a great substitution for wheat based pasta. It doesn't taste bad either. Although it's not the greatest for leftovers. It tends to get a little rubbery.
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    Try the bulk section too.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Could you use it instead of rice for stir fry?