Sneaking in Exercise

Options
Robin_Bin
Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
Hi. While I'm trying to increase regular workouts, I've my also a fan of "sneak exercise". (I also "sneak" extra vegetables and fiber into my food.)

Some examples are to use the stairs instead of the elevator, march in place while brushing your teeth, stand while talking on the phone, squeeze in your tummy while standing in line or waiting for something, use the groceries as weights as you put them away (do extra lifts instead of just holding them with hanging arms), walk the long way around, etc.

Anyone else do this? Have suggestions for additional ways to sneak in exercise into a regular daily routine?

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Options
    Some of the other ideas I liked were...
    * dancing
    * gardening
    * yoga (not really "sneaking", but if you're doing it mostly for the meditative aspects, the exercise comes as a bonus)
    * exercise breaks instead of commercial breaks
    * treadmill (exercise bike, etc.) while watching TV
    * doing a squat any time you have to pick something up off the floor
    * leg balancing and standing on your toes in line
    * office and chair exercises...
  • juberry
    juberry Posts: 29
    Options
    Also while waiting in line (in addition to sucking it in) I balance on one foot and then switch back and forth. I stretch, using my bathroom sink counter like a ballet barre. I do some little butt exercises while making photocopies at work, as long as no one is around :)
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I take multi trips in putting things away instead of carrying a arm load and doing it all in one trip. Takes a little longer to get things done but thats ok by me.

I also park father out when going to stores. If going to the mall I park not in front of the store I want but father away maybe the other end of the mall.

Also I do reverse crunches in bed before I go to bed and before I get out in the morning. When at home I do "wall push ups" every time I enter a certain room of the house.
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    waiting for the microwave or something in the kitchen to be ready?? I do squats and lunges! all those 5 minutes add up!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    While brushing my teeth instead of just standing there I do calf raises, chair squats over the toilet, leg raises, or standing on one foot for balance. Also if heating up my water in the microwave I jog in place as fast as I can for that minute or two. Hoping anything is better than nothing!
  • waiting for the microwave or something in the kitchen to be ready?? I do squats and lunges! all those 5 minutes add up!
    I LOVE THIS IDEA! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

I also park father out when going to stores. If going to the mall I park not in front of the store I want but father away maybe the other end of the mall.

Ladies, please be careful with this one. There are a lot of kooks out there. I did that a couple of times and one time had to call someone to come and get me as there was some guy hanging around my lonely car and another time I was parked far away and some guy followed me asking for money. Both times ended okay, but these days, I'd rather see you walk circling the parking lot in a safe area rather than being forced to walk to your lonely car. Especially in a big mall if you lose track of time and the sun goes down. Circle inside the mall instead!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    This may sound weird...but I....

* Do 5 squats before I pee and after
    * Do 10 squats before I eat my morning apple and....
    * I walk up and down the stairs 5 times before I get the mail
    * I jog up and down the stairs before I sit and watch an episode of "Seinfeld"

In other words...I force myself to EARN different things. It helps me get more forms of exercise in. My kids think I'm nuts....but my thighs are thanking me in the form or "Shrinkage"
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    Thanks for some additional good ideas!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please be careful with this one. There are a lot of kooks out there. I did that a couple of times and one time had to call someone to come and get me as there was some guy hanging around my lonely car and another time I was parked far away and some guy followed me asking for money. Both times ended okay, but these days, I'd rather see you walk circling the parking lot in a safe area rather than being forced to walk to your lonely car. Especially in a big mall if you lose track of time and the sun goes down. Circle inside the mall instead!
    [/quote]

I never park so far out that I would be in danger. But I just don't take the nearest spot unless it is in my comfort zone as to safety. Also I don't go at night. When I do walk if I feel uncomfortable once out there I have pepper spray also a "key" on my ring that is for safety.

But anymore when going to the mall my husband is with me since it isn't in the town we live but over an hr away. Around here is Wal-Mart. And there I just don't park in the spots right close. And if I do park on the other end of the mall I walk thru the mall instead of outside of it to get where I want to go. If I feel someone is following me I have no problem going to the mall welcome desk and ask for some mall guard to take me to my car. I did that once when I lived in a bigger city before I was married. But now like I said my husband is with me. And no one in half of there right mind would want to mess with him. :noway:

I always say safety over exercise. I never doing anything that could be dangerous. And I am not suggesting anyone does. The world in general is a nuts o place anymore. Just going for a walk could be dangerous. Always be careful and know what is going on around you.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I work at a counter in a Welcome Center.....when no one is in the center, I use the counter to do "counter push ups".
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    WheI go downsstairs to do the laundry when I get to the bottom of the stairs, I turn and go back up and down again, then repeat when I come up. Also walk as fast as I can when I go down the halls to my classroom, and make more frequent trips to the front of the building so that I have to walk more during the day.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    A little while ago someone bumped into my cart in the grocery store line. She apologized, but it was ok. We'd both been doing exercises while waiting. Be careful using the cart for balance though... it can roll just a bit farther than you expected on a lunge. :happy:
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    These were great ideas. Does anyone else want to add ways to sneak in some exercise?

I've got a few more:
    * use hand weights for arm curls while watching TV
    * if you're working in a place where you spend a lot of time on the phone, can you stand during some of that time? if you have a headset, can you walk around a bit?
    * stretches in the morning before you get out of bed
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't do much other than calf raises if I have to stand in a queue. However becoming slightly forgetful at times due to increasing age / stress of Covid means that I frequently have to go back up or down stairs to fetch something.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Clenching butt cheeks together while washing dishes? Walking on tippy toes? Busting out some dance moves while folding laundry or putting dishes away? I do some super weird stuff but I'm trying to maximize my sculpting muscles effort.