Cholesterol

Options
I have noticed I eat eggs alot. At least every day. I don't like red meat so most of my protein comes from chicken, eggs or fish.
I think the last time they checked my cholesterol it was very good but that was at about five years ago. I'm only 35.
Is eating eggs every day bad for you?
Please don't suggest talking to my Dr...they know absolutely nothing about nutrition or weight loss. And I didn't get my cholesterol checked this year I really can't afford it right now
Any insight on if I can eat eggs each day?

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the yolk part if ya worried... Should be fine if you eat one or two eggs a day..
  • petrbulko
    petrbulko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey heather !

In my opinion and experiences eating eggs ( the whole egg) is absolutely fine. As there are many studies, cholesterol eaten from eggs DOES NOT increase cholesterol in your blood. Your body will use it to produce steroid hornones ( testosterone, estrogen, or cortisol). :blush:
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ive ate 3 eggs a day for the last 5 years. my cholesterol is good! there is a huge genetic factor also that plays a role in what your levels are
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I egg a lot of whole eggs and my cholesterol is looking great. The bigger drivers for poor cholesterol health are obesity, lack of exercise, excessive drink, smoking, and having a poor diet overall. If you are focusing on whole foods, consuming adequate fiber, and exercise, you should see improved health.
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Don't eat the yolk part if ya worried... Should be fine if you eat one or two eggs a day..

I work in a kitchen they do scrambled eggs we can have leftovers so it's not like I can separate the yolks...
  • heather9986hg
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Ive ate 3 eggs a day for the last 5 years. my cholesterol is good! there is a huge genetic factor also that plays a role in what your levels are

Unfortunately my mom and dad both have high cholesterol and that's why they want to watch my levels
    The last time I was checked a few years ago it was great but the Dr brought it up again this year
    I think they flag me as cholesterol pure or something because of family history and I don't like that because it doesn't reflect me...I feel
  • heather9986hg
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I egg a lot of whole eggs and my cholesterol is looking great. The bigger drivers for poor cholesterol health are obesity, lack of exercise, excessive drink, smoking, and having a poor diet overall. If you are focusing on whole foods, consuming adequate fiber, and exercise, you should see improved health.

Unfortunately according to BMI i am obese I am five feet seven inches and I'm 220 but people say I don't look that heavy
    I'm trying to workout more I'm at a job where I'm on my feet all day I've never smoked only drink on holidays but never excessive
    Working on improving my diet and getting more servings of veggies each day...I do have a sweet tooth
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Some who have high cholesterol find that it responds to diet and some do not. It's generally NOT dietary cholesterol that's the issue for those with the dietary response, however, but high sat fat. My dad has controlled his formerly high cholesterol for a long time by mostly cutting out red meat and dairy fat (and other foods with high sat fat). He was already a normal weight and active at the time, which also helps with cholesterol for many.

If your doctor recommends something dietary to try, I would try it, but for most people eggs are likely not going to be an issue.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    OK, Heather, here's the situation. You look great to your family and friends. Age 35 will do that because you are fit and healthy. But, to be honest, you are 70 pounds overweight. Now many people will go through life with that and it not be a problem. Maybe you. But, if you want to be sure, get a calorie goal to get yourself down to 155 in about 2-3 years, and stick to it. And, estimate the oil in those eggs because that is where the calories are hiding. Then log them like anything else. And, don't worry about cholesterol from scrambled eggs. It was fake news 40 years ago.
  • heather9986hg
    Options
    OK, Heather, here's the situation. You look great to your family and friends. Age 35 will do that because you are fit and healthy. But, to be honest, you are 70 pounds overweight. Now many people will go through life with that and it not be a problem. Maybe you. But, if you want to be sure, get a calorie goal to get yourself down to 155 in about 2-3 years, and stick to it. And, estimate the oil in those eggs because that is where the calories are hiding. Then log them like anything else. And, don't worry about cholesterol from scrambled eggs. It was fake news 40 years ago.

The lowest weight I could ever get to was 180 🤷‍♀️
  • psuLemon
    Options

Unfortunately according to BMI i am obese I am five feet seven inches and I'm 220 but people say I don't look that heavy
    I'm trying to workout more I'm at a job where I'm on my feet all day I've never smoked only drink on holidays but never excessive
    Working on improving my diet and getting more servings of veggies each day...I do have a sweet tooth

It's all about progress, not perfection. Keep eating eggs and other whole foods and focus on getting your weight down. That will provide the biggest impact on health. Other things that can improve cholesterol is high fiber foods and fish.
  • psuLemon
    Options

It takes a lot of consistency. My lowest weight from high school and when I lost most of my weight was 173. After another year of working hard, I am 163-165. Your previous weight doesn't have an impact on where you could be. Your drive and consistency will determine that.
  • heather9986hg
    Options

It takes a lot of consistency. My lowest weight from high school and when I lost most of my weight was 173. After another year of working hard, I am 163-165. Your previous weight doesn't have an impact on where you could be. Your drive and consistency will determine that.

Well I do put hard work and consistentcy in
    I started at 320 the lowest I got was 180
    When I was 230 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroid and put on levothyroxine
    I noticed every now and then I gain weight and then when they check my thyroid my tsh is high and I can back to 180 again
    But at the end of the day 220 is way better than 320 right?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well I do put hard work and consistentcy in
    I started at 320 the lowest I got was 180
    When I was 230 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroid and put on levothyroxine
    I noticed every now and then I gain weight and then when they check my thyroid my tsh is high and I can back to 180 again
    But at the end of the day 220 is way better than 320 right?

Absolutely. I wasn't discounting your success. So just keep working.