Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Options
This soup is SOOO good. Made it last night for dinner and had leftovers for lunch today. Does not taste "diet" at all. And it's a good base, you could add other things to it if you choose (I am cooking handicapped so I just stick to the recipe, lol) *ENJOY*

Ingredients
Serves: 8
Prep: 15min|Cook: 35min |Total: 50min

1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 or 2 jalapeño chile peppers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14.5 onces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup fat free sour cream
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
4 ounces reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed

Directions
1. In a food processor or blender, combine the tomatoes (with juice), black pepper, chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and hot-pepper sauce. Process to a smooth, thick consistency and set aside.
2. Warm the oil in a large pot over mediumhigh heat. When hot, cook the chicken, onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the onion is softened. Reduce the heat to low, add the tomato mixture and broth, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until a smooth paste forms. Add to the soup and raise the temperature if necessary to keep the soup just barely boiling. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat, add the sour cream, and stir until well blended. Stir in the cilantro, garnish with the tortilla chips, and serve.

Nutritional Facts per serving
CALORIES 194.5 CAL
FAT 3.7 G
SATURATED FAT 0.8 G
CHOLESTEROL 33.8 MG
SODIUM 230.9 MG
CARBOHYDRATES 22.4 G
TOTAL SUGARS 3.5 G
DIETARY FIBER 2.3 G
PROTEIN 18.6 G

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options
    This soup is SOOO good. Made it last night for dinner and had leftovers for lunch today. Does not taste "diet" at all. And it's a good base, you could add other things to it if you choose (I am cooking handicapped so I just stick to the recipe, lol) *ENJOY*

Ingredients
    Serves: 8
    Prep: 15min|Cook: 35min |Total: 50min

1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 or 2 jalapeño chile peppers, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cans (14.5 onces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup fat free sour cream
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    4 ounces reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed

Directions
    1. In a food processor or blender, combine the tomatoes (with juice), black pepper, chili powder, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, and hot-pepper sauce. Process to a smooth, thick consistency and set aside.
    2. Warm the oil in a large pot over mediumhigh heat. When hot, cook the chicken, onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the onion is softened. Reduce the heat to low, add the tomato mixture and broth, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
    3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until a smooth paste forms. Add to the soup and raise the temperature if necessary to keep the soup just barely boiling. Simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Remove from the heat, add the sour cream, and stir until well blended. Stir in the cilantro, garnish with the tortilla chips, and serve.

Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 194.5 CAL
    FAT 3.7 G
    SATURATED FAT 0.8 G
    CHOLESTEROL 33.8 MG
    SODIUM 230.9 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 22.4 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 3.5 G
    DIETARY FIBER 2.3 G
    PROTEIN 18.6 G
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    P.S. I added it to the food database "HomeMade - Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup (Recipe from Prevention Mag)
  • nicholedunn
    Options
    :happy: Sounds yummy!! Thanks for posting!
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    I think I'm going to try this soon. Thanks for the post. =]