Lap Band Patients?

Options
I am a 2 year post surgery lap band patient.
I am looking to connect with others.
My weight loss slowed after the first 80 lbs.
Anyone else in this boat?
I still have 40 more to go.
Thanks!
Melanie

Replies

• lucius44
    Options
    Hi! I had the lap band surgery in March 2009 and lost about 65 pounds within the first 1.5 years. I have maintained for the past 1 year and feeling frustrated since I have stayed in the same weight range fluctuating 5-10 pounds a year. I would love to lose the last 50 pounds and be a thin/average weight. I find that lap band patients who rapidly lose all the weight the first year and get really skinny ballon back up within 1 year of losing all the weight. I think it is ideal to lose the weight gradually and maintain. They say that successful lapband patients have lost 35% of their pre-lap band surgery weight and maintain or slowly lose after 5 years from surgery. I figure I have about 2.5 years to lose another 50 pounds. However, I am unsure what route to take. Should I slowly tighten my band every 6-8 weeks like I initially did and exercise 3-4 times a week and track my food online? I am an emotional eater though, and reluctant to tighten the band until I look at why I am eating and how I am feeling when I eat. I think getting the band super tight and then have bouts of "band bulimia" and losing weight fast is not good. Are you seeing a therapist to help you with all the emotions involving weight/lapband side effects? I find that helps.

Jen
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know two people who have had this surgery, and both have the same issue. One has actually gained most of her weight back. You need to do just what the rest of us do: exercise effectively and track your food intake and nutrient levels. There just isn't a double-top-secret formula for doing it.
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    I haven't gained a pound back at all, this was the best decision I ever made. I just want to finish up the journey.

My doctor was wonderful, we had to go to exercise class, nutrition class, and follow up visits every other month.

It's a whole different lifestyle, and a lifetime committment.

I just got stuck, like so many patients and people with normal sized stomachs do. We can eat right and exercise all the live long day but sometimes, our bodies don't want to cooperate.
  • Missy0104
    Options
    The band has been shown to be even more beneficial to keep weight off than it is to lose it initially. Kudos to you for maintaining. The rest will come off eventually!! :)