I'm eating more question...

Options
I have been eating the 1200 calories plus my exercise calories for 3 months now and have lost 26 lbs. However, recently I have been really, really hungry and almost felt faint yesterday. So, I decided to up my calorie intake to 1400 plus whatever exercise calories I have that day. I am OK if I do, but do you think I may gain some weight back here at first? I am doing this to be healthy, and being so hungry that I feel faint is NOT healthy. I just want to know what to expect. Thanks! :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Didn't MFP adjust your cals when you lost weight?

Or, didn't you change your weight loss goals to be 1/2 pound a week, now that you only have six pounds left to lose? You sould be eating maintenance cals right now minus no more than 200-250 in deficit.

Change your goals to 1/2pound a week. Eat your exercise calories. You are too close to goal to still be eating in a deficit AT ALL.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if any weight is initially gained, it's going to be water retention, based on your current weight 1200 was quite low and under your BMR. Honestly i'm more of an advocate of 10-20% deficit to your TDEE for a nice slow and steady loss
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 26 pounds already, chances are your calorie intake needed to be adjusted anyway. As you get closer to your goal, you generally need to increase your calories to lose at a slightly lower rate, since your body will want to hang onto those last few pounds even MORE than it did the first 26! And you're right - this is about creating a healthy, sustainable lifestyle change and it sounds like 1200 cals is no longer healthy or sustainable for you!

Bottom line, I don't think you'll gain weight back as long as you keep doing what you're doing. You're doing the right thing!
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Didn't MFP adjust your cals when you lost weight?

Or, didn't you change your weight loss goals to be 1/2 pound a week, now that you only have six pounds left to lose? You sould be eating maintenance cals right now minus no more than 200-250 in deficit.

Change your goals to 1/2pound a week. Eat your exercise calories. You are too close to goal to still be eating in a deficit AT ALL.

WOOOW Really?!?! Thanks...I had no idea. No, it still said to eat 1200 calories. I guess I had it set to still loose 2 lbs a week. Not good? I'm sorry if that seems dumb.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You can't gain weight if you stay under your maintenance calories. That is how I check myself sometimes. I'll set my goal to maintain and then I'll scroll back through the weeks and see. On the days that I went over my "lose 1/2 lb" goal, I might not have gone over my "maintain" goal. If I didn't, I know I won't gain. I might not lose any that week, but at least I'm not gaining any either.

Try to set your goal to lose 1/2 lb. It will be a slower rate of loss, but healthier and you shouldn't feel so hungry all the time.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You're smart to raise it.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yep.. I think raising it is smart! When I got close to mine, I changed it to "lose 1/2 lb per week" and I didn't gain. Good luck!
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    I am actually losing at a steady pace now that I raised my calories. One pound a week, although I have it set to 1\2 a pound. Plus I am not near as hungry! Good luck!