Pregnancy

Options
Hi. When i started my plan was to lose weight. I still wanted to loose but currently I'm 11 weeks pregnant. What should be my goal now? Or how many calories should I take? I'm still taking around 1200 calories per day as it was my starting. Thanks.

Replies

• crisentlake
    crisentlake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • tiredmommy17
    tiredmommy17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a conversation for your doctor. I’m 7 weeks postpartum and for me 1200 calories seems dangerously low for pregnancy, especially if your eating isn’t super regimented and you’re getting adequate nutrition for you and baby. The first trimester is so important for fetal growth and development. Dieting is the last thing I’d want to be doing for my babies health.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    It depends on your starting weight and BMI. If you’re already at a healthy weight and BMI, then dieting during pregnancy is not recommended. If you’re overweight or obese, limiting your gain during pregnancy is recommended as opposed to actually losing weight.

• AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    You need waaaay more food then that eat at least 1800 calories and include lots of fruits veggies and meat! Choosing healthy options and staying active is what matters! I am almost 4'11 and I need 1300 calories to just function in life. LORD JESUS bless congrats on your little one 💛
  • ozziemojv
    ozziemojv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread, but perhaps you’ve learned a bit more now and can help me out? I was at a healthy BMI when I started my pregnancy. My first trimester was a roller coaster in terms of food aversions, nausea, and hunger. Pre-pregnancy, I ate super healthy. In my first trimester, just the smell or thought of brussel sprouts and salad (which I would eat every day pre-pregnancy) turned my stomach. So...burritos it was...and that lead to too much weight gain too fast. Now, in my second trimester, my eating has pretty well returned to pre-pregnancy (except more whole grains and dairy for baby), but I’m not sure what to do about the excessive gain in the first trimester. I asked my doctor and she said “get a handle on it”...when I asked again, she said “make sure your calorie intake is lining up with your reduction in activity level” (I was quite a bit more active pre-pregnancy...now I’m tired lol). I still don’t know quite what that means. So, what I am taking that to mean is to make sure that I am taking in around 2,000 calories per day (including eating back what I burn in exercise). Since I didn’t get much guidance from my doctor, does that seem reasonable? Keep in mind: I started at a normal BMI, so I *think* my calorie needs are ~2,000. Just trying not to *overshoot*.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    ozziemojv wrote: »
    Not to hijack your thread, but perhaps you’ve learned a bit more now and can help me out? I was at a healthy BMI when I started my pregnancy. My first trimester was a roller coaster in terms of food aversions, nausea, and hunger. Pre-pregnancy, I ate super healthy. In my first trimester, just the smell or thought of brussel sprouts and salad (which I would eat every day pre-pregnancy) turned my stomach. So...burritos it was...and that lead to too much weight gain too fast. Now, in my second trimester, my eating has pretty well returned to pre-pregnancy (except more whole grains and dairy for baby), but I’m not sure what to do about the excessive gain in the first trimester. I asked my doctor and she said “get a handle on it”...when I asked again, she said “make sure your calorie intake is lining up with your reduction in activity level” (I was quite a bit more active pre-pregnancy...now I’m tired lol). I still don’t know quite what that means. So, what I am taking that to mean is to make sure that I am taking in around 2,000 calories per day (including eating back what I burn in exercise). Since I didn’t get much guidance from my doctor, does that seem reasonable? Keep in mind: I started at a normal BMI, so I *think* my calorie needs are ~2,000. Just trying not to *overshoot*.

2000 calories is not a one-size fits all goal, even for people who are at a normal BMI. The calorie needs of someone who is 5'1" with a BMI of 20 are going to be very different from someone who is 5'11" and a BMI of 20, not to mention differences between genders, the wide range of normal BMIs, activity level.

In short we would need a lot more info to suggest a calorie level that lines up with your activity level.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If you have clearance from you doctor, there are many that can exercise all the way up to labor. Of course it needs to be exercise that's conducive to keeping your pregnacy safe. Paring down increases as delivery date arrives. And the great thing is that women who exercise and stay fit during pregnancy, get their bods back much faster than those who don't engage in exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png