Heart Rate Monitor Watch?

Options
I'm buying one this weekend.. What is a good one that anyone could suggest?
Under $100 bucks

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 ---- around $65 of upgrade to the FT7 I think its right at $100 (on amazon.com)
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Put in the extra money if it comes down to it- you will be glad you did. Some watches only give you HR and basic information. (my first watch) I think it was around $70 or so and I got it because of the price. At the end of the day it was a stupid move, because I ended up buying another watch 3 months later for over $100 because I wanted it to calculate calories burned, percentage of time at target heart rate, etc....
  • cherrera1980
    Options
    I did a good amount of research before deciding to buy one. I went with the FT7 and I have no compliants.. I love it!
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    Polar Ft4 with chest strap at Sports authority for 80 bucks
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Polar Ft4. it's basic and works great. I just bought mine.

I think the FT7 just stores more info - I think up to 99 workouts. and Ft4 is more like 10 in a row.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I bought a DUO 1010 a few weeks ago and hate it. It was $69 - so not really cheap, has a chest strap and does all sorts of wonderful calculations.....or so it says.

It loses signal all the time and gets interference from other devices quite frequently. If it lost signal and continued to "count calories" based on the last reading, that would be fine, but it just stops........

My .02 :ohwell:
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Put in the extra money if it comes down to it- you will be glad you did. Some watches only give you HR and basic information. (my first watch) I think it was around $70 or so and I got it because of the price. At the end of the day it was a stupid move, because I ended up buying another watch 3 months later for over $100 because I wanted it to calculate calories burned, percentage of time at target heart rate, etc....

agreed.. I did the same thing bought the cheaper watch and regretted it.. took it back the same week and spent the extra money for a sportline dual HRM, it can be worn with or without the strap.. I always use my strap, but it is nice to have the option.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I really like my New Balance N4 . . bought at Target for $60. It was easy to set up, is easy to use and seems reliable.
    I was able to input my height, weight, goals, etc. and it does the calorie tracking for me while I exercise.

Definitely get one with a chest strap. The ones without a chest strap you will likely end up returning because a) they
    are unreliable and b) it is easier when you are working out to have the continuous one that is monitoring your heart
    rate 100% of the time via the strap.

Also, I really like the New Balance because it's not a huge, bulky watch. I have relatively small wrists and hands for
    my size (*ahem*) so the New Balance one doesn't stick out like some ugly thing on my wrist. LOL :smile:
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have a timex one from Amazon. It was $45 and I have two now...they work awesome.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7, I like it. But, they now have a bluetooth monitor which will sync with a lot of different phone apps. So if you want a fancy interface, then go the bluetooth route. My issue with that is, if I'm out exercising/mt. biking, I'm not going to pull out my phone to look at my heart rate/calories. So for me, I like the FT7 watch, it's easier to look at quickly.

The FT4 is probably a good choice too, and a little cheaper.

Get the chest strap kind, not the kind that you touch with your finger.

Check out REI, they have the FT lines.

But plan on spending about about $100-130
  • sbedzyk
    sbedzyk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Waiting for my Timex T5G971 to arrive today, it was rated number one on Consumer Reports. It was under $50 on amazon, so I'm taking the chance. (While I was writing this, UPS guy showed up). I'll let you know what I think in a few days.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it! Althought you may not want the pink one! lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 or FT7 is your best bet.

Don't bother with TImex.. The calorie counts are overestimated.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 (was about $75 on amazon) --- but I actually wish I had spent a little more for the FT40 or FT60 so that I could program in V02 Max --- but its not that big of a deal :) Probably just a little more accurate...
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. Bought it on Amazon for about $65. :happy:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    BUMP. I've been thinking of getting one, too. Thanks for the tips!
  • sbedzyk
    sbedzyk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OK, the Timex wasn't very helpful - it only keeps track of the last workout and the calories are WAY off (it doesn't allow for you to adjust for age, height or your sex). It's going back to Amazon, and I'll look into the Polar ones.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I really think Polar is the most trusted brand and I totally agree on the chest strap comments- it's very very accurate and the chest strap isn't irritating. (I was worried it would be).

You will love having a HRM! It's addicting!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    OK, the Timex wasn't very helpful - it only keeps track of the last workout and the calories are WAY off (it doesn't allow for you to adjust for age, height or your sex). It's going back to Amazon, and I'll look into the Polar ones.

I wanted to tell you this as soon as I saw the model that you bought, but I didn't want to be rude.

Timex's are horrible at calories.. I had the HRM your returning and I too, returned it after one time because it told me I burned 581 calories walking a treadmill for a half an hour.. I was like um NO! I think not!

Polar FT4 is a fantastic one and it's about 63 dollars on amazon.