40+ Getting back in shape

Options
41 year old male starting my journey to getting back in shape. Currently 6'2", 265 LBS and in between 25-30% body fat. Goal is do get down to 200 lbs and 15-18% body fat by beginning of May. Anyone what to come along for the ride and share the experience, lets go.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    BDAUSN wrote: »
    41 year old male starting my journey to getting back in shape. Currently 6'2", 265 LBS and in between 25-30% body fat. Goal is do get down to 200 lbs and 15-18% body fat by beginning of May. Anyone what to come along for the ride and share the experience, lets go.

You might want to rethink that goal. Even if we say that’s 20 weeks, that’s a rate of 3 lbs lost per week. You might lose more than 2 lbs a week initially (water weight and what not) but that won’t be sustainable. As you lose weight also, the amount you will be able to lose per week will decrease.

Furthermore, I’m assuming you want to maintain as much lean muscle mass as possible throughout the journey, so a slower rate of loss will help with that (as well as working out).
  • JACKRABBITnotsoSLIMS
    Options
    Hi BDA.
    I highest you Set the goal and go for it- you can always change plans along the way.
    I’m 42 and started my journey mid Aug at 315lbs. Made significant dietary changes with out much guidance. Had basement dumbbells and bench with a second hand excercise bike. I lost 30lbs in 2 months and stalled. Upper body workouts had to stop for a couple weeks and resumed gently as I had i large tumor pulled from my shoulder. I maintained the diet and did a leg routine that I believe was designed to kill me. The last week in October I joined a gym and started using this app to maintain a calorie deficit with a secondary focus on macros.
    I am not starving and I am now down 50lbs since Aug. My initial target was 260 by spring. I will hit that by the end of the year and reset my goal for the 1st qtr of 2021

Happy to join you along the way