Party Food

Options
Need some suggestions for a covered dish. I went to Gina's Skinnytaste and got a great idea for some pumpkin dip - saw a couple of other things that I could try BUT wanted to see some of your suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• MissieB76
    Options
    I bring this Spinach Dip to parties and it's always a crowd pleaser!

10 ounces fresh baby spinach, steamed until wilted
    1 cup plain fat-free yogurt, drained of excess water
    4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

Place wilted spinach in a colander and squeeze out excess water. Chop finely and place in a medium bowl. Stir yogurt and cream cheese together until smooth. Add to spinach. Stir in remaining ingredients and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes about 2 cups.

Per serving (1/4 cup): Calories 55, Calories from Fat 11, Total Fat 1.3g (sat 0.7g), Cholesterol 3mg, Sodium 186mg, Carbohydrate 4.7g, Fiber 1.1g, Protein 6.2g

I use frozen spinach instead of fresh. usually two packages do it, depending on how many people
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Omg, make the baked jalapeno poppers from Skinnytaste. I made them for the July 4 and they were amazing! A little time consuming but delicious!
  • poseidon9447
    Options
    Try some of the foodcourting ideas on Livestrong, it looks so good and everything is low calorie. http://www.livestrong.com/food-courting/
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ok, on skinny taste, she has a recipe for hot spinach dip and hot artichoke dip, I combined the two and it was incredible. I also added some chopped pecans which was a nice texture addition.

Here is the recipe for the combination so you don't have to work it out for yourself, you basically just mix ever thing together but the bread crumbs which you sprinkle of the top and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes.

13.75 oz artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and chopped
    10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    6 tbsp chopped shallots
    1/2 cup light sour cream
    1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
    9 tbsp (converts to 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) light mayonnaise
    2/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
    1 1/2 cup (6 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    2 tbsp whole wheat bread crumbs
    olive oil spray for baking dish

Like I said I added pecans, I'd say about 1/4 cup chopped but that wasn't in her recipes and is obviously optional, or you could use a different nut. I am thinking of trying pine nuts next time. I don't have the stats in front of me but I know it makes about 20 1/4 cup servings and if I remember correctly it comes out to about 120 calories per serving.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of bring this tonight:
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/

but other things are:
    bread (like cranberry orange)
    mini cheesecakes
    devil's egg (with yogurt, not mayo)
    mozzarella, tomato skewers with basil sauce
    homemade ice cream - tons of "low" versions (I like this one: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=694221 as it's very adaptable)

bring something YOU like and YOU want to eat - so if everything else is bad, at least you'll have one good dish!
  • Jsoroka
    Options
    bump!
  • leecee18
    Options
    bump!