Students- Activity Level?

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently just started college and I'm running around campus like crazy all day. Should I bump up to lightly active or leave myself as sedentry?

Replies

• HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I set myself to lightly active for the same reason! I felt it was more appropriate, I am sendentary while I am sitting at my desk job only getting up for food and water ;)
  • meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing! Mostly I'm just sitting down while I'm studying, but when I go from class to class I am basically running across campus!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'd consider that lightly active, especially if you're walking around campus quite a bit. I went to a large school that had a huge, HILLY campus and it was a workout getting around! I managed to lose 15 lbs my last semester just by walking everywhere, living at the bottom of a huge hill, and eating a bit better.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    lightly active!!!
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would leave it @ sedentary... but that's based on my campus. I don't know how big your talking. I was fast walking 4 times a day for about 10 or less minutes. You could just use a HRM & calculate the cals burned & add to your workout maybe???
  • meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would leave it @ sedentary... but that's based on my campus. I don't know how big your talking. I was fast walking 4 times a day for about 10 or less minutes. You could just use a HRM & calculate the cals burned & add to your workout maybe???

That is what I was thinking.
  • sprky182
    Options
    I like to leave it at sedentary so that any extra calories I burn by running around like a crazy person are just bonus and I don't see them in my exercise calories so I don't feel inclined to eat them back. But that's just me!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i leave it at sedentary. you're sitting in class longer than youre walking around...just use that as a bonus, but i wouldn't change my activity level.

edit: i am a college student...i have a pretty big campus and i walk from class to class. my level is set at sedentary.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! My campus spans 2,000 acres, so i'm thinking that should count for lightly active? Haven't decided yet. Would be nice if it was just a bonus though...
  • kaseyb21
    Options
    I leave mine at sedentary for the same reason that someone else already mentioned. If I burn extra calories running around on campus then it's a nice surprise on weigh-in day. And there are some days that I just walk to one class and spend the rest of the day sitting in the library so keeping it sedentary accounts for days like that.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I have mine set as active...because the amount of calories given with that is super close to my BMR my trainer gave me. So I just did that, even though I'm probably sedentary to lightly active most days.