Food breakup 😢

Options
I've been on this app for about a week and it has caused me to fall out of love with food. Now I try to eat as little as I can, which results in me being hungry (even right after I eat). I'm often hangry, and have a hard time getting enough protein because I'm vegetarian. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom, this is tougher than I thought it would be.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Eating as little as possible is a terrible and unsustainable plan. Please stop that plan NOW and choose a method that will actually be sustainable long term.

There are plenty of vegetarians on here who can help with the whole protein thing, but some things that come to mind since you said vegetarian and not vegan to help with protein:

Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Almonds (or any other nut you prefer)
    Beans

There are tons of other options too and if you’re a picky eater, there’s always the option of a vegetarian protein drink to help meet your daily protein needs also.
  • kickpushpedal
    kickpushpedal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here too. I have been on MFP on and off for years. When I am on it I lose weight, when I am off...it all comes back. MFP has helped me understand what my body needs to feel full and what really satisfies me. I cook all my own meals, so it allows me to eat what I want.

Don't starve yourself, your weight loss journey will take time. What did you love to eat before, that maybe you are not eating now? I am here to help if you want my help.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It can be easy to slip into the mindset of MFP as some sort of shaming/ self punishment log-- "food bad, me bad; no food good, me good".

I try to think of it instead as a tool of reflection and self discovery into my relationship with food.

For one week, try not to change your eating habits. Just eat "normally" -- whatever that is for you -- log it, and DON'T JUDGE. Just log.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    It can be easy to slip into the mindset of MFP as some sort of shaming/ self punishment log-- "food bad, me bad; no food good, me good".

I try to think of it instead as a tool of reflection and self discovery into my relationship with food.

For one week, try not to change your eating habits. Just eat "normally" -- whatever that is for you -- log it, and DON'T JUDGE. Just log.

I really like this advice. In fact, I like it so much that I wrote a thread about how to start at that point, and gradually modify one's eating in manageable ways to dial in proper calories, nutrition, and other factors:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

You could consider that type of approach. For me - also a vegetarian - that approach also helped me with getting enough protein, on fewer calories. This thread also helped (though you have to scroll past the meaty/fishy stuff at the top of the linked spreadsheet to get the veggie-friendly foods - but they are in there):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I can't explictly prove it scientifically **, but I believe that we can train our bodies to run on fewer than ideal calories, by cutting calories to a white-knuckle minimum . . . when a more healthful goal would be to eat as many calories as possible while still losing weight, because that's a "teach your body to thrive" strategy rather than a "teach your body to limp along on a minimum" strategy. (** But there are some pretty bold scientific arrows that point in that direction.)

OP, those things I wrote above are practical factors, about things like protein. But I think, from the way you're writing about this, that the real issue is in your headspace. It's a common theme, in our society, that becoming overweight is some kind of sin, so we need to punish ourselves via deprivation, in order to be redeemed. That's just not true, and it's not helpful. If you can find a way to think of it more as a fun science fair experiment, where you try to figure out how much enjoyable food/calories you can eat and simultaneously lose weight and get great nutrition, I think that's a more positive mental model. It's almost like a game (calorie Tetris?😉).

Food can be enjoyable *and* nutritious *and* calorie appropriate, plus other good things. Please try to find that place.

Best wishes!