Sit At Desk All Day

2»

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I sit at a desk all day too. I like to run in the morning, go the the gym after work. When the weather warms up I will cycle to work. I walk on my lunch. The bathroom and kitchen are downstairs so I make sure to take regular short breaks to walk down. I am waiting to hear if I am getting my sit/stand desk.... fingers crossed!!

• CntryGirl78
    CntryGirl78 Posts: 19 Member
    I have a sit/standing desk but I can’t figure out how to add movement and still type or write while moving lol. Also, getting up or walking around or taking the long way to printers and bathrooms we get negative feedback for not being productive. It’s hard to stay moving.
    Add me. 😉 I love chatting with new people.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I find that working out in the morning before work helps tremendously in loosening me up for the day. The stand reminders on my apple watch are helpful and if I'm on a conference call where I don't necessarily need to be taking notes I have my bluetooth headset on and wander around in/near my cubicle, stretches, etc.
  • djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    I'm an office worker too. I couldn't get away with planking around the office though :D I'm in an open plan office I just tend to walk to the kitchen slightly further away than the close one to make my coffee and due to the my water intake I end up hitting the toilets every hour anyway!

My exercise is the 7 mile cycle to and from work in all weather though. Thankfully we have a good cycle lockup and showers and lockers in the office otherwise I would struggle.
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend and we can come up with methods together... I am also stuck at a desk all day
  • norcalbeezy
    norcalbeezy Posts: 220 Member
    Also stuck at a desk majority of the day 😣 feel free to add me!
  • doubleplay_643
    doubleplay_643 Posts: 152 Member
    Looking for fellow desk jockeys to help motivate and bounce deskercise ideas off each other. Please add me or ask for an invite.

Todays deskercise challenge for myself is going to be:

2 x 50 pushups
    1 minute 40 second planks
    10 x 4 chair dips

• eijaj
    eijaj Posts: 20 Member
    Great ideas! At my previous office job it was not that easy to get moving during the day, and I love hearing all ideas I can use in the future. So keep the ideas coming!

I am hoping to hear back from a new job any day now, and I am trying to prepare myself to keep the momentum going even if and when I get back to a desk job. If that job fails I will have to take a job that will not be helpful at all with weight loss (or with my sanity :P ) since it is mainly sitting down constantly for long periods of time, doing monotonous work. So the new job would be the one I am hoping both as a career move and because it allows more moving during the day. Of course boring job is better than nothing!

Previously I have used an exercise ball as a work chair. It helped a lot with back and neck pains, and keeping the core working during the day. Everyone laughed at it :) I should have attached handles to it, and I could have bounced on it to the printer and back. Not a good way to get a cup of coffee tho...

• doubleplay_643
    Todays challenge complete

10x4 chair dips
    50x2 pushups
    1 min 40 sec plank

Anyone else who sits at a desk all day, we would love to have you in the group. What do you do for exercise at work? Let's be friends!
  • eijaj
    eijaj Posts: 20 Member
    Couple of years ago I started to develop a dowager´s hump from all that sitting down. Not very flattering sight... So remember to strengthen your neck, correct your posture and stretch during the work day!

I still have a poor posture, but I have lost the fatty lump on the base of my neck that comes from your body trying to protect the spine from the pressure.
  • doubleplay_643
    What is your at work exercises going to be today? Please share any "deskercises" you have.

Always looking for fellow desk jockeys to help motivate and bounce deskercise ideas off each other. Please add me or ask for an invite.

2 x 50 pushups
    1 minute 45 second planks
    200 arm circles

• doubleplay_643
    Always looking for fellow desk jockeys to help motivate and bounce deskercise ideas off each other. Please add me or ask for an invite.

What is your at work exercises going to be today? Please share any "deskercises" you have.

It usually takes the entire 8 hour shift for me to complete my deskercise challenge. Once every hour I take a couple of minutes, close my office door and do an exercise. I have been doing this for a couple of months and I am seeing my weight drop quickly.

40 x 40 x 20 pushups
    Complete day 6 of a 30 day ab challenge
    20 flights of stairs