Heavy squats and running on the same day?

I have seen advice on this topic discouraging people from running after doing squats.

I did squats this morning and then went for a 5k run about 2 hours later. I didn't feel any pain in my legs and I don't generally suffer from DOMS. Although, I did feel exhausted at the end of the run.

My question is this - is it okay to squat heavy and then go for a run soon after? Any suggestions/comments welcome!

Replies

• I'd recommend doing them as far apart as possible to not interfere with cell signaling but you can't always optimize your schedule like that.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    i do squats then go play hockey, though i definitely wouldn’t want to do squats after playing hockey
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    After a good squat session - walking sometimes can be an issue
    wiigelec wrote: »
    i do squats then go play hockey, though i definitely wouldn’t want to do squats after playing hockey
    I once played hockey after deadlifting - that was fun -

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I try not to do intense cardio post lifting as I’m not trying to interfere with muscle growth/repair, but that’s just my personal preference/goals. So I guess, you have to evaluate your goals and decide if running most lifting is appropriate for you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    This is more of a performance thing than anything else...if it doesn't hinder performance or performance on your run isn't something you're concerned with, no biggie. I don't run anymore, but I used to go to the gym and lift and follow that up with 3 mile jog on the treadmill...I was just getting some cardio in and didn't care about time or performance or anything like that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    It's also a recovery issue. If your longest runs are around 5K it's probably not a big deal but if you were, for example, training for a half or full marathon and your runs were getting longer it may be ill advised.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2020
    As long as your load management is good for your adaptations there isn't a issue here in most cases.

Also "squat heavy" is generic and doesnt tell us what is actually going on in your training other than you think something was heavy at some point.

I personally ran anywhere from 5-19 miles a day, squatted 25-30 reps of volume, cycled 10 miles, and played catcher for hardball all in the same day and never had huge issues to be concerned about because of proper load management as a whole.

I think one study suggested if you want optimal performance to separate lifting and cardio activities in the area of 12 hours. General goals, I would just make sure my internal and external loads were in check.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I usually run before squatting. I like to get a run or a walk in immediately after breakfast.

And I usually do both a yoga and a Pilates class after squatting, just because I love those two instructors and that’s how the schedule breaks down.

Invariably, somehow squat day always becomes “holding chair pose” day. I swear they coordinate with my trainer!

I’m fine, though, as long as they don’t call for a two minute wall-sit after doing a bunch of squats. Yikes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You can do it, as you've seen. You stop getting DOMS after you've been squatting regularly. You're still going into the run with heavy legs and if you're running as part of a training plan the quality of your workout is likely to suffer. Otherwise, as long as you're giving yourself enough time and nutrients to recover it's not really an issue.

If you're lifting to get swole the running may not help according to some studies, aparantly there's some kind of interference with running specifically and lifting for hypertrophy. Cycling doesn't have that.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Here's the only thing I might add.
    I played tennis the same day after squatting and I serious aggravated a meniscus tear and made it much worse.
    I think it happened because my muscles were fatigued. I had done it more than a few times before with no problems, except that I did not play as well as I might have. But still. I mean, my point is not that injury is inevitable if you play a sport and/or run after squatting. Only that -- maybe -- you become a bit more prone to an injury when you have depleted the energy and strength in your muscles with heavy lifting.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited December 2020
    ecjim wrote: »
    I once played hockey after deadlifting - that was fun -
    short hard shifts!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    I think it depends on your goals. My goals currently are to lose weight and maintain my muscle mass. For me, I run 1 mile before lifting as a warm up. After lifting, I may go for a longer run to burn extra calories.

If I was trying to build visible muscle, I would probably invest that time more into lifting than in running because I would want my body to focus on building muscle, not burning calories. And your body needs fuel to build muscle- precious fuel you wouldn't want to waste on running.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    If you are trying to win a competition, you will have to focus on it (specialize) to beat your rivals. Outside of that, you absolutely can do both. You may perform worse, but so what? You will still get benefits. Your progress may go slower (and maybe only for awhile until you adapt and become able to recover more quickly).

This is especially important if you LIKE doing both but your schedule demands you do them on the same day. Whatever problems are involved they are preferable to the results of NOT doing one or the other.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    If I heavy squat or any heavy leg lifting b4 a run my legs are too tired to run.