Too much protein?

Options
Hey guys,

I know this may be a stupid question but I really have no idea! Just wondering is it bad to go over your protein allowance for the day? For example with the 1,200 calories I consume each day there is a protein 'limit' of 45g. Today I consumed 86g therefore going 41g above my 'limit'. Is this bad?

: )

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I reset my levels, as now I've all but hit my final weight loss target, I'm now trying to add more muscle. That said, you should be careful not to go over by too much over a long period of time as your liver will start to protest. In the short term, to prevent that in my case, I drink much more than my 8 drinks a day to compensate. HTH
  • CarmenSox
    CarmenSox Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein ALL the time....I dont see it as a problem. I questioned it too in the beginning but going over works for me. I wouldnt change my protein intake at all.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    NO! This is good --- I wish MFP would change their dang default settings. This question gets asked several times a day.

I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat --- because I prefer a high protein/lower carb diet.
    Protein is good for you and keeps you feeling full longer. I usually get 100-150g protein a day and 75-95g carb.

If you leave your settings on the MFP default I would AIM to at least double whatever it says.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Same here. I at a lot of beef and chicken and always go over. It is great when you're lookingto build muscle like I am.
    Apparently it worked because I gained 2 pounds of muscle last week.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't follow MFP's percentages at all. My personal goal is to get min of 100 g of protein a day, and usually get closer to 150 g of protein a day. I try to hit about 200 g of carbs a day and keep my fat low at 30 or under and my fiber at over 25. I do this w/o my issue by the foods I eat on a regular basis.

Hope that helps!
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    I reset my levels, as now I've all but hit my final weight loss target, I'm now trying to add more muscle. That said, you should be careful not to go over by too much over a long period of time as your liver will start to protest. In the short term, to prevent that in my case, I drink much more than my 8 drinks a day to compensate. HTH

This is completely false unless you're talking about getting massive amounts like 400g a day for years.

If your high protein diet consists primarily of red meat and fats -- that could be a problem for anyone.

If your protein is from lean meat, fish, nuts, greek yogurt, quinoa etc ---- it would be almost impossible to eat enough to damage your liver.

EDIT: If you have liver disease you should talk to your doctor.
  • nmclaurin
    Options

This is completely false unless you're talking about getting massive amounts like 400g a day for years.

If your high protein diet consists primarily of red meat and fats -- that could be a problem for anyone.

If your protein is from lean meat, fish, nuts, greek yogurt, quinoa etc ---- it would be almost impossible to eat enough to damage your liver.

I agree. I aim for 140 g per day and I am allowed 1360 calories if I don't work out.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    NO! This is good --- I wish MFP would change their dang default settings. This question gets asked several times a day.

I changed my settings to 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat --- because I prefer a high protein/lower carb diet.
    Protein is good for you and keeps you feeling full longer. I usually get 100-150g protein a day and 75-95g carb.

If you leave your settings on the MFP default I would AIM to at least double whatever it says.

how do you change your settings to that?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Same here. I at a lot of beef and chicken and always go over. It is great when you're lookingto build muscle like I am.
    Apparently it worked because I gained 2 pounds of muscle last week.

Wish I could gain 2 lbs of muscle in 1 week. Thats a whopping 104 lbs of solid muscle in a year!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I don't follow MFP's percentages at all. My personal goal is to get min of 100 g of protein a day, and usually get closer to 150 g of protein a day. I try to hit about 200 g of carbs a day and keep my fat low at 30 or under and my fiber at over 25. I do this w/o my issue by the foods I eat on a regular basis.

Hope that helps!

This! I'm a vegetarian and don't have any problems reaching this amount.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I agree. I aim for 140 g per day and I am allowed 1360 calories if I don't work out.

(sigh) isn't that what I said?
  • Hellokittyxoxo
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys : )
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options

how do you change your settings to that?

Click on My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Choose Custom
    Enter your own percentages and calorie number -- save.

You can also change the things you track in your diary view or rename all your meals...
    My Home > Settings > Diary Settings

I change my nutrients to see what I need, and renamed all of my meails since I don't eat 3 set meals.
    7a-11a
    11a-3p
    3p-7p
    After 7p
    Vitamins/Other

There are a lot of things you can customize to fit yourself :)
  • Daveydesigns
    Options
    I was talking to a nutritionist and he said that women who eat too much protein can feel down or become depressed easily. And I found that to be true for me, it makes be feel lethargic like when I eat too much processed foods.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    · Weight loss follows 2 basic laws of nature

Law #1
    · Energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed from one form to another
    · You don’t gain weight spontaneously. You gain weight when you consume excess energy, or calories that your body
    doesn’t burn.

· This excess energy, in most cases transformed to fat in the average adult.
    · You don’t lose weight from eating special foods or following magic diets. You lose weight when you consume fewer
    calories that your body needs to maintain your weight.

· This forces your body to use stored energy from either body fat, stored carbohydrate (glycogen), or muscle (protein).

Law #2
    · When the calores you consume equal the calories your burn, your weight remains stable.
    · To lose weight you need to consume less than you burn, in other words you need to create a calorie deficit
    · The bottom line is not what you eat, but how much you eat vs. burn

Too Much Protein

Considering sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

Because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium(Law #1). The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A protein deficiency is defined as eating (answer to question) 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein. That is is what is takes to be too much.

In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential

Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options

Law #1
    · Energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed from one form to another
    · You don’t gain weight spontaneously. You gain weight when you consume excess energy, or calories that your body
    doesn’t burn.

· You don’t lose weight from eating special foods or following magic diets. You lose weight when you consume fewer

· This forces your body to use stored energy from either body fat, stored carbohydrate (glycogen), or muscle (protein).

Law #2
    · When the calores you consume equal the calories your burn, your weight remains stable.
    · To lose weight you need to consume less than you burn, in other words you need to create a calorie deficit

Too Much Protein

Considering sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

Because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium(Law #1). The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A protein deficiency is defined as eating (answer to question) 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein. That is is what is takes to be too much.

In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

It's Essential

Although limiting protein intake is important, you should also realize that protein is essential to our bodies' normal functions. It assists in synthesizing enzymes and hormones, maintaining fluid balance, and regulating such vital functions as building antibodies against infection, blood clotting, and scar formation.

Protein is also a building block for our muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, hair, and blood. Protein-rich foods include meat, cheese, milk, fish, and eggs. For vegetarians, protein can be found in soy products such as tofu as well as in combinations of foods, such as rice or corn with beans.

Very helpful!! Found a website to check it as well... check it out... http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    In order to makes sense of the zillions of different kinds of diet that are out there, its common to just say that all of them (the ones that work !) are based on reducing net caloric intake and choosing where you get your calories from. So instead of telling MFP that you are on the "Revolutionary New X Diet", you just tell it what percentage of your calories you want to consume as 1) carbs, 2) fats, and 3) protein. Frankly, I only care about total calories, so I turned all the other reporting off.

Anyway, if MFP says you went over on your protein, it just means that you consumed more calories worth of protein than that initial setting. So unless you are following a specific diet plan where that matters to you, you can just ignore the warning.

If you eat any reasonable balance of carbs, fat, and protein and meet your calorie targets you can stay healthy and lose weight. Different people have different opinions of what's reasonable, though !
  • adross3
    Options
    In order to makes sense of the zillions of different kinds of diet that are out there, its common to just say that all of them (the ones that work !) are based on reducing net caloric intake and choosing where you get your calories from. So instead of telling MFP that you are on the "Revolutionary New X Diet", you just tell it what percentage of your calories you want to consume as 1) carbs, 2) fats, and 3) protein. Frankly, I only care about total calories, so I turned all the other reporting off.

Anyway, if MFP says you went over on your protein, it just means that you consumed more calories worth of protein than that initial setting. So unless you are following a specific diet plan where that matters to you, you can just ignore the warning.

If you eat any reasonable balance of carbs, fat, and protein and meet your calorie targets you can stay healthy and lose weight. Different people have different opinions of what's reasonable, though !
    Well said.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Law #1
    doesn’t burn.

Law #2

Too Much Protein

It's Essential

Ketones are not toxic, and actually have nothing to do with protein. Ketones are created when fat is burned and are energy sources. The kidney does not flush ketones out of your body, it actually metabolizes the as part of the fat burning process. Protein can cause dehydration, but that's why you drink more water when you eat higher protein, just like you drink more water if you consume a lot of sodium.
  • adross3
    Options

Law #1
    doesn’t burn.

Law #2

Too Much Protein

It's Essential

Ketones are not toxic, and actually have nothing to do with protein. Ketones are created when fat is burned and are energy sources. The kidney does not flush ketones out of your body, it actually metabolizes the as part of the fat burning process. Protein can cause dehydration, but that's why you drink more water when you eat higher protein, just like you drink more water if you consume a lot of sodium.
    I guess webmd.com is wrong. You should go tell the doctors that.