Half year mark, need a boost!

Options
Today I’m officially 6 months in to this lifestyle change and it honestly feels anticlimactic. I’m down 34lbs, which is great but honestly, my loss rate has significantly slowed and I’m feeling like I’m in a rut. What are your motivators or ways you reignite your excitement about getting healthy?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    34 lb is nothing to sneeze at! That's motivating in and of itself.

Personally, I like tracking metrics and doing mini-challenges over time that I can compare like the Cooper's Test (walking or running).

Continued health to you!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    creesama wrote: »
    Today I’m officially 6 months in to this lifestyle change and it honestly feels anticlimactic. I’m down 34lbs, which is great but honestly, my loss rate has significantly slowed and I’m feeling like I’m in a rut. What are your motivators or ways you reignite your excitement about getting healthy?

I have had many milestones. Some of them I thought would be meaningful came and went without a bang. A few that I thought were "meh" ended up grabbing me.

Excitement and motivation are always going to come and go. You don't need them to continue. You just need to remain committed. What would you do if you stop trying to get healthier?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    I read the Success Stories threads, especially the NSV (non scale victories) thread.

In fact, I hoard that thread til I need a lift, so I have fresh entries to read.
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Firstly, a 34lb weight loss is a great accomplishment. Give yourself some grace. Losing 1-2lbs weekly is safe and sustainable.

I'm about to wrap up my first full year of my current lifestyle. I'm down 70lbs as of this week, and getting close to my goal. That said, I had a lull in September, which was hard. Here are some things I found boosted my weight loss and kept me motivated:

I workout first thing for 40 minutes every week day, no matter what. An injury is the only way I'll let myself out of it.

I follow intermittent fasting; I eat between 12-8pm.

I save 300-400 of my daily weekday calories, basically all of my workout calories for Saturdays. I love a good bagel and coffee on Saturday morning, a craft beer or two around happy hour, and a semi-indulgent dinner. I started doing this after I dropped 40lbs. Honestly, this has been a game changer. I'm still averaging over a pound a week of weight loss doing this. While some don't recommend this, it's kept me engaged and fulfilled.

I stick to a plant-based diet. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years, but cutting out dairy & eggs has given me so much energy. My skin cleared up and I feel great.

You've got this. Good luck!
  • elizabethherberger
    Options
    Everyone loses at different rates and you’re doing an amazing job! I had lost 37 lbs at my one year anniversary just recently (even though I am set to lose 1.5 lbs a week). Your body may have adjusted to the routine you have gotten into and sometimes changing it up can help surprise your body into losing weight again. Even though I am slow to lose weight and it is discouraging sometimes I try to remind myself why I started this journey, I feel grateful when I have my BP checked at the doctor now it is in the normal range, I get excited about buying new clothes that fit, and remind myself that even if the scale isn’t showing a decrease in weight there are other ways to measure change (waist line size, muscle mass, ability to do new activities or old activities with less struggle, health measures like bloodwork, etc.). Hope you find what motivates you!