Anxiety and eating

Options
I have been trying to listen to what my body wants, instead of food. I have cravings in the evening but i am not hungry. So I have been doing a little experiment. I try to see what I am feeling instead of giving in to the craving.

I have noticed that it is anxiety that I am feeling. I only eat food, so that it calms my nerves and I can sleep. I can not sleep other wise. I feel too nervous and tense. I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning so it is not caffeine related. I know that my Dads side of the family has major problems with anxiety.. Maybe it is hereditary, I don't know.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• countinonme
    Options
    Sleepytime tea. It works for me.
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time turning my brain off sometimes so I do NYT crossword puzzles.

You may also want to talk to someone about your anxiety. I'm a big fan of better living through chemical intervention if that's what you need.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    What triggers your anxiety?
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options

A lot of things trigger my anxiety. Things I need to get done, worrying about the future...etc.. I am worrier, and being a procrastinator does not help...
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You should probably get in to speak with someone about it- there are simple medications that will really take that away for you- I suffered with anxiety a couple of years ago- based on a trying time, and it made a world of difference to me.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Calms Forte. It's an herbal supplement that you should be able to find at most drug stores. I also take something by Hyland's called (so creatively) Insomnia. It's a homeopathic tablet that you dissolve under your tongue. Neither of those MAKE me sleep, so if something were to happen and I have to wake up I can, but they just calm the nerves a bit to help me stop the cycle of anxiety.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Also, I just read back through the thread and see that you're a procrastinator. I am too. My advice is to STOP procrastinating. Adopt the mantra of "Do it now!" You know if you just do whatever it is you're putting off, you won't have to worry about it anymore. So just do it. Make a list of the things that need to be done, and do as many of them as you can each day, especially the one-time things like making phone calls or sending emails. That will take a huge chunk of stress off your plate.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have emotion eating issue too......at night, if I feel like I need something I eat either unsweetened applesauce (but add splenda and cinnamon) or a FiberOne Brownie....but fill me up and make me sleepy and satisfy my sweet tooth!
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Also, I just read back through the thread and see that you're a procrastinator. I am too. My advice is to STOP procrastinating. Adopt the mantra of "Do it now!" You know if you just do whatever it is you're putting off, you won't have to worry about it anymore. So just do it. Make a list of the things that need to be done, and do as many of them as you can each day, especially the one-time things like making phone calls or sending emails. That will take a huge chunk of stress off your plate.

Thank you, you have given me great advise...You are right. Just do it. like the Nike saying ... thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    xanax (it's the only thing that turns off my brain sometimes)

but i like everyone else's suggestions better :ohwell:
  • odusgolp
    Options

• SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am a huge worrier and have loads of anxiety at night. I know that people say no tv, no computer, no music etc before bed, but I am noticing that if I have something for my brain to focus on my anxiety lessens. I still have other sleep issues that (imo) may or may not be related to computer/television use before bed, but those seem to be intermittent so...

I have taken melatonin in the past and it works pretty well, but I usually felt groggy in the morning.

Tension Tamer tea and Sleepytime Tea both work wonders. The Tension Tamer is especially good and I usually add a little natural, local honey to that. Also, if I go for a walk later at night I notice that I feel more tired than wen I don't do anything active at night.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Calms Forte. It's an herbal supplement that you should be able to find at most drug stores. I also take something by Hyland's called (so creatively) Insomnia. It's a homeopathic tablet that you dissolve under your tongue. Neither of those MAKE me sleep, so if something were to happen and I have to wake up I can, but they just calm the nerves a bit to help me stop the cycle of anxiety.

Thank you, i am going to go buy some right now. I called the nutrition store and it 's only around 5 bucks...thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options

Is that an anti depressant?
  • odusgolp
    Options

Is that an anti depressant?

Not really... it's more like a tranquilizer in my book *LOL* It's effective with one small dose within an hour. It's not something you take daily (usually). I have panic disorder something fierce. So, I'll take it if I know something is going to trigger me (concert or weddings seem to set me off) and only in extreme cases of insomnia. I like to try to avoid taking it. 10 pills lasts me a year. Some people do take it regularly, though.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

A lot of things trigger my anxiety. Things I need to get done, worrying about the future...etc.. I am worrier, and being a procrastinator does not help...

i know how you feel i have the same issue. For me I am on Zoloft for my anxiety, its a depression med (i have no signs of depression) but it works on anxiety too. seems to help stop my panic attacks too (although i do get them its just not as often thank god lol) Then i cant sleep cause it can causes that as a side affect. I also have meds for migraines which knock me out. I notice i snack for no reason at night and its for the same reason.
  • rdonner11
    Options
    when i told my therapist i wanted to start losing weight, she recommended a book called "the self-compassion diet" by jean fain. reading this book and practicing some of the habits it mentions has helped me to be more mindful of my eating habits....why am i eating? am i hungry? am i anxious? what is my body trying to tell me? listening to your body is something that we are all born with but we tend to lose touch with around adolescence. hope this helps!
  • Leola2011
    Options
    I cope with anxiety as well. I've learned how to do some progressive muscle relaxation exercises and that helps me. I've also learned some other strategies to help keep my anxiety in check. Talking to a psychotherapist may benefit you. You mentioned being a "worrier" and procrastinating. I make myself remember what's called a 10-10-10 rule. Will <insert issue here> matter 10 minutes from now? Will it matter 10 months from now? Will it matter 10 years from now? Most things I harp on will be a true "NO" to the last question, and most times even to the second question. That helps me put things in perspective so I can filter out stuff, take care of first things first, and chuck the stuff that isn't that deep.

I've noticed that if I workout too close to my bedtime I have a very hard time winding down and resting well through the night. My adrenaline is pumping too hard and I can't come down, even though I'm spent from the long day. So, especially during the work week when I HAVE to get some sleep, I try to time my workouts so I'm done before 8:00.
  • ChanMay
    Options
    Like the rest of you, I suffer from anxiety and racing brain. I agree with the poster who mentioned writing to do lists. I find when I get really bad, I can write down everything I am trying to remember and it takes away some of the stress. Or you may find that writing in a diary helps. If somthing is worrying me, allowing myself to think about it and write it out helps me to let it go.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Vitamin "B" vitamins? I find that takes the edge off. Vitamin B6-B12 is a good one.