What to set calories if Obese

Options
kmg3614
kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
Hello! I'm looking for advise. I'm 54 yo and my metabolism has come to a screeching halt. I need to lose about 130 pounds. I set my calories for a 1 pound loss a week and I'm walking 30 min a day on my eliptical. I would really like to lose weight faster, but I'm afraid that if I drop to 1200 calories my body will just get used to that and will gain it back if I eat at 1500. MFP tells me to have 1700 a day before exercise to lose 1 pound a week. Does anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good thinking to me. Start where you feel comfortable starting. Keep an open mind. Be aware of what’s happening to your body AND your mind. Adjust in the future as needed.
    1700 calories a day sounds doable. The exercise will burn calories, build muscle, and hopefully make you feel better.
    Go for it! And Good Luck!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    kmg3614 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm looking for advise. I'm 54 yo and my metabolism has come to a screeching halt. I need to lose about 130 pounds. I set my calories for a 1 pound loss a week and I'm walking 30 min a day on my eliptical. I would really like to lose weight faster, but I'm afraid that if I drop to 1200 calories my body will just get used to that and will gain it back if I eat at 1500. MFP tells me to have 1700 a day before exercise to lose 1 pound a week. Does anyone have suggestions?

Most people who think their metabolism has come to a "screeching halt" so cannot lose on a deficit of calories (and 1500 with exercise is going to be a deficit if you are obese) are simply eating more than they think. Caveat - unless of course you have a medical condition.

Weight every morsel not forgetting to add what you drink if that has calories. Bin those cups!

And personally, I do not "eat back" exercise as I cannot see the point of that when you need to lose a ton of weight, and aim for a 1 to 1.5 pounds a week through an eating deficit and 0.5 or so from exercise.

• kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input! I love all of the ideas and just have to realize this is a marathon not a sprint. I wrote this on Monday (weigh in day) and was only down a pound and thinking it should be more (mathematically between calories and exercise). Since then I lost 2 more pounds in only a few days. I must have been holding on to water. I love the idea of maintenance breaks to just stabilize the body. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You still have some hormones surging through you!
    Which means you really can't take anything less than probably 2 weeks as meaningful or actionable from the scale weight.
    Those water weight fluctuations can drive you batty. Weight trending app another good idea for a long journey.

Your comment on exercise did remind me something I forgot to mention.

If you count that daily 30 min walk as daily activity to keep it simple and just correctly increase your Activity Level to Lightly-Active - you do NOT count it as exercise then.
    Only the elliptical when done.

Just wanted to confirm, some don't know that.

I took a diet break for a week every 10 lbs lost. May not need that at start, but after 10 lbs you have to eat a fair bit less anyway, and good to see how it was going to work out for foods and quantities.
    Hormones really benefit from that. Some more recent diet studies show that up.
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What helps me is trying to meet my protein goal. Mine is 105 grams per day so I try my hardest to keep each meal high protein. It makes me feel full. Take it a day at a time.

My personal preference is to not weigh myself because I have had eating disorder in the past and I want to enjoy my journey, not be a slave to the scale. I started 3 months ago and plan on weighing myself in February. (Just a personal preference)

Plus, I don't need a scale to show me I am going in the right direction. Your clothes will start fitting you better, loser, and a plus is people start noticing.

Nutrition is key and enjoy the journey! Make it a lifestyle, not a diet. It help if your nutrition plan is sustainable long term. Best of luck, it is possible and you are capable!