Interesting Info about Salt Intake

Options
So I went to my doctor today to get a months supply of Adipex, (lost 15.6 pounds in a month, awesome) and he told me that for every 1000mg of salt you eat your body retains 2.2 pounds of water. Average person in Alabama eats 9000mg a day without even adding salt to anything. That’s 19.8 pounds of retained water!! A pack of ketchup-170 calories and 240mg of salt, chic fillet=2860mg, soda-453mg per 20oz, pickles=1000mg, 1taco-3800mg…..I am officially obsessed now

Replies

• Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good lord, that's shocking!
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow, good to know!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should move!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I guess it's a good thing I'm really good the day before my weigh in! I didn't realize it was so high. Thanks for the information. I've gotten pretty obsessed with sodium as well.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Those pickles will get ya but I like them. Pickles, that's my thing.
  • megamoo04
    Options
    wow, so how much water do you need to try to help flush that out?
  • Kamille84
    Options
    Are you talking about those packets of ketchup you get from McDonald's? 170 calories can not be correct.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    WOW!! *picks up my glass of water*:noway:
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I'm usually in my accepted sodium range but I'm looking to cut it back as well. I can tell if I have a high sodium day as I sleep through the night. :bigsmile:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love the science behind the number, but yes you should ask how much water it would take to slush that out!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Those pickles will get ya but I like them. Pickles, that's my thing.

Ditto -- but I found sodium free pickles at the grocery store to feed my addiction :)
    If you have Cub foods -- they make bread and butter pickles with either no sugar, or no sodium..both yummy.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I can believe that. If I go over my sodium just by 1000mg in one day I see at least a one pound gain the next day.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I found sodium free pickles at the grocery store to feed my addiction :)

!!! :noway: :noway:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would take those numbers with a grain of salt (no pun intended). A healthy human body is pretty adept at flushing out unneeded salt on its own without retaining that much water. I wonder where the 9000mg number came from? That seems off the charts high, regardless of where you are and what you're eating. And a packet of ketchup has 15-25 calories.

Doctors can be really misinformed, too.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Remember that you lose sodium (and thus water) by exercise and also by hot water. That's why they put sodium in Gatorade. Be careful about eating too little sodium if you are in a hot environment or if you work out. It'll make you dehydrated and you'll get dizzy.:sick:
  • emartindale
    Options
    i am pretty sure its the same everywhere lese that just happens to be in the state i live
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I would take those numbers with a grain of salt (no pun intended). A healthy human body is pretty adept at flushing out unneeded salt on its own without retaining that much water. I wonder where the 9000mg number came from? That seems off the charts high, regardless of where you are and what you're eating. And a packet of ketchup has 15-25 calories.

Doctors can be really misinformed, too.

^^ this.

also.. Phentermine has really bad side effects when coming off of it. Please be careful. i think its given out far too freely. Especially when just looking at your picture, you don't appear to be someone that is in need of that junk.
  • emartindale
    Options
    i shopuld ask how much water it takes to flush out that amount or atleast even it out....as far as the calorie content of a packet your right it s onyl 15 that just what he was telling me...
  • emartindale
    Options
    Ketchup (1 tablespoon) = 167 milligrams
    Sweet relish (1 tablespoon) = 122 milligrams
    Capers (1 tablespoon) = 255 milligrams (drained)
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Wow.. !