My first push up

At the beginning of 2019 I decided I wanted to be able to do a push up and a pull up. I have been working consistently towards both of those goals.

Today the first push up was achieved! Something good has come out of 2020.

2021 will be the year of the pull up.

Replies

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    YES! I want to work toward doing a real pushup next, that's going to be my December challenge to myself. Well, half of it anyway. Congrats on the pushups!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited December 2020
    Way to go!

Pushups can cause injury. For good form check out the following...

https://youtu.be/IODxDxX7oi4
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Good job ,both of you
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,222 Member
    Congratulations on the push-up!! That's a wonderful accomplishment. Can you share how you progressed (e.g. started with wall push-ups, counter push-ups stair push-ups, etc.) And roughly how long you spent at each phase?

Thank you the great video @KHMcG
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    That's great. Starting is the key. I hope to see you do more in the coming year. CONGRATULATIONS
  • ecjim
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    At the beginning of 2019 I decided I wanted to be able to do a push up and a pull up. I have been working consistently towards both of those goals.

for your pull up , try this. use a stool to get to the up position on the bar, then get off the stool and lower yourself slowly. You can start with 1-2 per day, and go from there. Repeat until you can pull yourself up
  • ntrlwmn17
    ntrlwmn17 Posts: 15 Member
    i can't do one so congratulations to you. that is a big achievement.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    ecjim wrote: »
    SnifterPug wrote: »

for your pull up , try this. use a stool to get to the up position on the bar, then get off the stool and lower yourself slowly. You can start with 1-2 per day, and go from there. Repeat until you can pull yourself up

My 2021 goal is also to get 1-2 pull ups! I've gotten a pull up assistance band, and can do the slow lowering. Can't get myself back up, though, even with the band yet. Seems like a farfetched dream to think I can do 1-2 actual pull ups. But it took me most of quarantine to get solid sets of push-ups, so I imagine it might take me all of 2021 to get the pull-ups?
  • ecjim
    Keep working at it 3-4 times per week - you 'll get it . - losing weight will help if you need to do that
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,222 Member
    Thanks for the info @SnifterPug
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    You know ... everyone else will remember 2020 for a whole mess of terrible things, but you will remember it as the Year of the Pushup. Bravo! Good for You!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!