Digital scale says I lost 24 pounds in 2 days

Options
So granted, I've eaten way less than I should have but this seems impossible. But I weighed myself multiple times in a row each day and it was consistent between those and it seems strange that over the course of two days, the scale would remain consistent on each day but report massive weight loss between days. If anything, I've been drinking considerably more water than normal so I don't think it's dehydration.

Should I just assume the scale is broken and replace it?

Replies

• ChipsandDimp
    ChipsandDimp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Always use the scale at the same time every day, preferably before eating or drinking anything. Always use it on bare floor (no rugs or carpet.) Put it on the same spot on the floor each time.

It also could need a new battery, try those things before you replace it.

I've got wood floors and I've been weighing myself first thing in the morning after using the restroom in the same spot. I just replaced the batteries a few weeks ago so I don't think it's that (the batteries usually last for months).
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the feet of your scale? If a foot has gotten damaged, it could explain erratic weigh-ins.
  • ChipsandDimp
    ChipsandDimp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eh, I gave in and ordered a Withings/Nokia Body Cardio
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Somethings wrong. Even people on My 600 pound life, who lost a lot in the first month, don’t lose that much.
  • alyshaburrows
    alyshaburrows Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So granted, I've eaten way less than I should have but this seems impossible. But I weighed myself multiple times in a row each day and it was consistent between those and it seems strange that over the course of two days, the scale would remain consistent on each day but report massive weight loss between days. If anything, I've been drinking considerably more water than normal so I don't think it's dehydration.

Should I just assume the scale is broken and replace it?

Just get a new battery. If that still doesn't work then maybe get a new scale. You can also weigh yourself, then grab a 10 pound weight and weigh yourself again holding the weight and see what happens. I've done that where the scale said I only gained 2-5 pounds with the 10 pound weight in my hand... I bought a new scale after that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Snugbug6 wrote: »
    Have you noticed a small, crying human suddenly appearing?

:lol: 24 pounds might mean triplets.

I would definitely notice that.

You did make me giggle, thanks for that.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    There are only 2 scenarios where it is possible: delivering multiple babies or massive diuresis. Normal people don’t drop 24 lbs in 2 days. I agree with others who suggested to check your scale.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said, but also what numbers are you talking about? Had you weighed within a short period of time as the first weight? Does the second weight make sense given your own understanding of your size, past results?
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    When I first got my digital scale, I stored it on edge. For a week, it would give me a different number every time I stepped on. I also have an older Krups spring scale. That's the one I log my weight on since it's the one I started with. While the digital scale readings have become more consistent, it still doesn't seem as reliable as the spring scale. Sometimes the Krups will show weight loss when the digital one does not... never vice versa. I step on the digital first, then immediately step on the spring scale.