Help with calorie projection

Options
Hi all,

I need a bit of help. I use Samsung health to track my steps and each day I get a calorie adjustment in MFP. My issue is that MFP assumes I will burn 2500cals a day on my level of activity. I am still getting around 300 to 400 calorie adjustment every day. This is based on about 8k to 10k steps a day. Surely those steps are already built into my level of activity?? When I look at my projection it starts the day in line with MFP and as I do steps throughout the day it increases and subsequently adjusts my calorie goal. It seems that my galaxy watch is assuming that even if I stayed in bed all day I would burn 2500cals which I would not.

Can anybody help me understand the numbers.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I need a bit of help. I use Samsung health to track my steps and each day I get a calorie adjustment in MFP. My issue is that MFP assumes I will burn 2500cals a day on my level of activity. I am still getting around 300 to 400 calorie adjustment every day. This is based on about 8k to 10k steps a day. Surely those steps are already built into my level of activity?? When I look at my projection it starts the day in line with MFP and as I do steps throughout the day it increases and subsequently adjusts my calorie goal. It seems that my galaxy watch is assuming that even if I stayed in bed all day I would burn 2500cals which I would not.

Can anybody help me understand the numbers.

I'm not sure how Samsung Health syncs with MFP. But what is the activity level you have selected on MFP?
  • monkeysidey
    monkeysidey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So currently have light activity set as I am a teacher so spend a bit of time on my feet all day
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    8-10000 steps would likely be a bit more than lightly active. An adjustment of 300-400 calories might be a bit excessive though depending on your weight. Is this adjustment only for steps or also for other workouts? Could it be you double-dip the steps, like a walk to work, and then the steps again?
  • monkeysidey
    monkeysidey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So I don't have exercise tracking turned on at the moment any exercise I intentionally do is manually added in MFP. How could I check if I am double counting the steps?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Has your weight loss progressed as expected, or faster or slower?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So I don't have exercise tracking turned on at the moment any exercise I intentionally do is manually added in MFP. How could I check if I am double counting the steps?

You get a calorie adjustment for all your activity AND you're manually adding your exercise sessions? If so, it sounds like you might be double-counting.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You aren't double-counting steps, not really a way to accomplish this that I've seen.

300-400 might be the calorie burn for 60-90 worth of walking, maybe.

Sedentary leaves off around 4K steps - depending on distance if this is Samsung doing calories.
    Lightly-Active would be about 6-8K.

So you are above that range by probably a mile's worth of walking calories perhaps. So that adjustment based purely on those rough guidelines is reasonable actually to me.

But click or press-hold on that Adjustment and share those extra details.

That will usually tell us if Samsung is syncing over your daily burn to MFP to do math with - preferred.
    Or if MFP is merely get a step count from the device and doing it's own rough estimates - not preferred.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

You get a calorie adjustment for all your activity AND you're manually adding your exercise sessions? If so, it sounds like you might be double-counting.

This is possible indeed, if some of the exercise you do is generating steps it might be double counting.