Ketogenic Diet - mistake sugar in metamucil

Options
I needed to get bowel movement and I took metamucil. only after drinking it did I realize it contained sugar. What a mess. I hope this will not impede on the ketosis which I had attained. This thing should have proper food labelling like any other food. It is considered a medication, this should not be allowed : (

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I needed to get bowel movement and I took metamucil. only after drinking it did I realize it contained sugar. What a mess. I hope this will not impede on the ketosis which I had attained. This thing should have proper food labelling like any other food. It is considered a medication, this should not be allowed : (

You're gonna need to do a TON of research. MANY medicines (cough syrup etc) have added sugars.

It's a blip. Your ketosis will be fine.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. I probably wasn't much. Anyone who eats low carb is at some level of ketosis. It's just the folks who eat under 50g of carbs per day who are considered to be "in ketosis". basically, that just means that one is probably spilling enough excess ketones into their urine to get a positive ketostix test. Someone eating 100g of carbs per day is probably making ketones too, just maybe not enough for a positive ketostix test. And then others who eat 200g of carbs per day, but time their carbs around strenuous exercise may test positive for ketones. It varies. :)

I do agree that it would be nice if they put nutritional information on medications.
  • Marcelbaril
    Marcelbaril Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @Sabine_Stroehm
    Thanks, I feel better already.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Look for "Metamucil sugar free original smooth powder". The one with only Psyllium husk, maltodextrin, citric acid as ingredients and 0g sugar.

If the problem continues, you might need to really ramp up the fibrous low carb veggies with your low carb diet to get the fiber you need to move. Metamucil is OK here and there but not good for long term use.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Another solution is more fats, especially coconut oil or MCT oil. Add a couple of teaspoons of that to your diet somewhere and things will get moving.

Magnesium deficiency can lead to a bit of constipation too. Supplemental magnesium citrate will also get things moving. Try magnesium oxide if you really really need help... but carefully. ;)
  • Marcelbaril
    Options
    Look for "Metamucil sugar free original smooth powder". The one with only Psyllium husk, maltodextrin, citric acid as ingredients and 0g sugar.

If the problem continues, you might need to really ramp up the fibrous low carb veggies with your low carb diet to get the fiber you need to move. Metamucil is OK here and there but not good for long term use.

• Marcelbaril
    Options
    I don't like maltodextrin since it is supposed to be a highly processed sugar .
  • Marcelbaril
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Another solution is more fats, especially coconut oil or MCT oil. Add a couple of teaspoons of that to your diet somewhere and things will get moving.

Magnesium deficiency can lead to a bit of constipation too. Supplemental magnesium citrate will also get things moving. Try magnesium oxide if you really really need help... but carefully. ;)

I take one tbsp of coconut every day. I'll add magnesium, Good idea I had forgotten about that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't like maltodextrin since it is supposed to be a highly processed sugar .

Maltodextrin is processed from starchy plants. Its processed in the manor that its extracted from plants. It is also a very efficient sugar in the fact that it is processed by the body very quickly. Its one of the reasons its used in protein shakes. Its great for post workouts as it would replinish glycogen and help prevent protein degradation. Context of use can be helpful. Foods can be good or bad based on total diet and training needs.

But i agree that adding fats and low sugar veggies for fiber to get things moving.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've made lots of little mistakes like that, but in the long run it won't affect your weight loss goals. I took some TUMS and then after realized they have tons of sugar. Bummer, but I needed them at the time! Constipation is super common in the keto diet. As others have mentioned, certain forms of magnesium are natural laxatives. Also, try not to get dehydrated. Having high-fiber supplements help me, like chia and flaxseeds. But it's a definite difference than a regular diet, and something to stay on top.