sweating buckets

Options
Okay gross topic but, I seriously have always wondered, why do some people sweat so much more than others? I am someone who absolutely sweats buckets- I always have- fit or unfit- heavy or thin- I did 1 hour and 45 min workout today and drank 64 oz of water!!! Seriously drenched.

I've read that sweating is a good cleanser for the body- does that mean if you naturally sweat a lot you may stay healthier?

Replies

• MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I sweat a bunch too!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Sweat means your body needs to cools itself. That's it's purpose. It doesn't indicate health. Many overweight people sweat sitting in a warm room.
    I sweat very little, even when I work out hard and intense. It's genetic.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    i hope that's the case, 'cause I sweat buckets too. Although I've noticed that when I work out and sweat lots, I don't sweat in the rest of my daily life, which is pretty convenient!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bummer on the genetics! :ohwell: I'd love to be one of those girls in spin class that looks great going in- and coming out! Oh well. Lost cause!
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the ones that hardly ever sweats. It has to be *really* hot for me to work up a sweat ... but if it's fairly comfortable temperature-wise, then I might sweat just a little bit around my brow and some on my back after a good 30 minute cardio session. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm not working hard enough, but I've come to realize that that's just the way my body is. I've started using a product called Sweet Sweat to actually HELP me sweat more during my workouts. :\
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Sweating makes me feel like I worked really hard (which I normally do). It's definitely good for my psychie.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I was never a guy who sweated much. Wouldn't get pit stains when it was 100 degrees out and I weighed 250lbs+.

As I got older it started getting worse and worse. Now when I'm doing any sort of work I have sweat pouring off my brow. My shirts get completely soaked through (front and back) while doing yardwork. When I'm outside working I sweat so badly that I have lost 7-8lbs EASILY in one session (6+ hours). That's a lot of sweat!

To be honest I wouldn't mind so much except sweat is constantly running into my eyes. I have to stop every 2 minutes to wipe my brow.
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I sweat quite a lot when exercising and I my face goes v pink! Everyone is different aren't they!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i sweat a lot too...sincei was a skinny little boy :P
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Def sweat a lot when I work out, but it feels good! And I've always been a pink-face exerciser, no matter how fit I am! lol
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I was told my two different trainers that the more you sweat the fitter you are because your body is more efficient at cooling you down during your workout and especially towards the end when you are stretching out. I like that version better than it being down to genetics!
  • Papillon22
    Options
    I've started using a product called Sweet Sweat to actually HELP me sweat more during my workouts. :\
    I can't believe there's a product to sweat more! how does that work?
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I sweat a ton. I probably have hyperhidrosis.

When I work out, I look like I jumped in a pool. :)
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've started using a product called Sweet Sweat to actually HELP me sweat more during my workouts. :\
    I can't believe there's a product to sweat more! how does that work?

Papillon, you can check out their page at http://www.srcfit.com/. I'm not sure about *all* of their claims, but I can definitely say without a doubt that it does increase my sweating ... I'm usually drenched when I use it for my cardio sessions.
  • Papillon22
    Options
    Papillon, you can check out their page at http://www.srcfit.com/. I'm not sure about *all* of their claims, but I can definitely say without a doubt that it does increase my sweating ... I'm usually drenched when I use it for my cardio sessions.
    sounds a little shady (mixing the idea of problem areas, suggesting that spot reducing is possible and then linking it to circulation), but if it works for you, great!
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Well, there definitely are differences between people.

The medical term, as someone mentioned, is hyperhidrosis. But that's just doctor-speak for sweats-a-lot.

There are two different kinds of sweat, though. One of them targets a few specific areas : head/forehead, armpits, hands and feet. Often this form can be triggered by anxiety or stress (sweaty palms waiting for an interview !) The other one is "just sweat" and happens pretty much all over when your body needs cooling.

Me, I sweat a ton from right along my hairline on my forehead. It sucks. And it isn't even regular or predictable. I'll be fine, and then for some incomprehensible reason, wham ! The sluices are opened and its squeegee time. You can imagine how much the chicks dig it.

Anyway, after a bunch of googling, the options I found are 1) Special super-strong antiperspirant (which, however, always says for underarm use only), 2) surgical removal of specific sweat glands, 3) regular botox injections, or 4) just live with it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    To me personally, sweating is a good benchmark of how hard i've been working! Whenever i come in from badminton, circuit training, DDRing, the normal response i get is "is it raining out there?!". Plus, workout sweat is very cathartic. Nothing gets me sweating more or as fast as holding a plank!