Workout

Options
Whats your favourite workout/exercise to burn a lot of calories and how do you log it?

I have been really slacking with working out and eating a lot more recently and need to get back at it x

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Define "a lot of calories"...truth be told, exercise doesn't typically burn the amount of calories people think it does...unless you're an athlete and/or training like one, you burn far more calories just being alive and going about your day to day. Exercise has the added benefit of burning a bit more...but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a whole lot usually unless you're spending hours...which really isn't advisable unless you are well conditioned to do so and have some greater purpose for it.

I exercise primarily for my overall health and well being and fitness...I don't really worry or think much about how many calories I'm burning. My primary exercise is cycling and walking. I was injured for about 5 months and unable to do either, so I've had to start back slowly. I walk most every morning for 2.5 - 3 miles and have started back on the bike here and there. I'm getting a direct drive smart bike trainer for Christmas as well as Zwift. In January I will start with Zwift's "back to fitness" structured 12 week program as it is geared to cyclists that have been off the bike more than 3 months, and ramp up from there with other structured programs on the app...I'm hoping by summer I can be back to where I left off fitness wise, and hopefully they will be running Time Trials again this summer if some of these restrictions are lifted on live events.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Long cycle ride, my last one (the Ride London event) was 100 miles in 5hrs 47mins.

Logged under MyFitnessPals 16-20mph cycling category but I overwrite the calories with accurate net calories from my bike's power meter - 3,200 cals.

I don't know what you mean by a "lot of calories" but to me a lot entails a long duration.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Long cycle ride, my last one (the Ride London event) was 100 miles in 5hrs 47mins.

Logged under MyFitnessPals 16-20mph cycling category but I overwrite the calories with accurate net calories from my bike's power meter - 3,200 cals.

I don't know what you mean by a "lot of calories" but to me a lot entails a long duration.

@sijomial

Very nice time...

And yup...
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk every day, it doesn't burn a bunch of calories but so what. Exercise is for health, well-being and maybe some added calories to your day. But don't use exercise to compensate for overeating, that is the hard way to lose some weight.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    A long run usually burns the most calories for me...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options
    I don't pick my exercise by calorie burn level, I pick it more by fitness need and enjoyment. If I don't enjoy it, or at least tolerate it well, I'll skip it with the slightest excuse. The more enjoyable it is, the more likely I'll do it . . . and any exercise I actually do burns 100% more calories than one I skip.

For me, managing calorie intake (eating) has a higher payoff than exercise. The most intense exercise I do can (for me) burn almost 700 calories per hour . . . if I do it at a pace I can't possibly keep up for an hour, and I'm reasonably fit. I can maybe keep up a pace/intensity for full hour that would burn something like 500-odd calories. That's like 2 servings of peanut butter, and a slice of toast. It's much easier just to skip the PB toast, within reasonable parameters.

And there's NO WAY IN THE WORLD I personally could've done that 500-some calories/hour exercise for a solid hour when I was just starting out. I've been very active, even competing as an athlete, for 17+ years now, starting when I was still obese. Three hundred calories an hour would be pretty darned good, to start, doing something that involves moving the body (something like a mile of walking on the flat for a mile - at any pace - for a person weighing 300 pounds, would net about 300 calories above the number s/he'd burn sitting on the couch. Lots of things are sold as higher calorie burn than that, but call me a skeptic (and I'm not selling anything). Exercising beyond current fitness level leads to fatigue which leads to doing less (sitting/resting more) in daily life . . . which wipes out a decent chunk of the exercise calorie benefit, unfortunately.

Exercise is a wonderful thing. It improves fitness and health, and burns a few calories. But many people (IMO) overrate its importance for weight loss.

Oh: What am I doing, to burn 500-some calories an hour, as (now) a 5'5", 125 pound (formerly obese) woman? Rowing. Pretty hard.

Eating is the big deal. Exercise for fun and fitness and health, to get a few bonus calories . . . that would be my advice.

Wishing you much success, truly!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As above, exercise is for health and fun, not to lose weight. It can assist in remaining in a deficit (without exercise I am often 100-200 calories over per day). But, even though I might be a little over for the day, I don’t do ADDITIONAL exercise to compensate. I am currently set to lose 1 lb a week, and almost every week between what I eat and exercise, I hit 1 lb.

I never set out with a goal of burning a lot of calories, and MFP overestimates calorie burn from exercise for most activities IMO, but for me, weekend hikes with my husband and the dogs are the big calorie burns. I can burn over 800 calories on a single hike, but I’m talking about all day (6 hr plus) hikes in the woods with a lot of elevation change and uneven (often very rocky) terrain.
  • shahpriti1232
    shahpriti1232 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Does anyone know about kettlebell exercises you can do at home? kettlebell exercise as an alternative to improve aerobic power and muscle strength.

As a result, kettlebell exercise can adequately elicit cardiovascular, neuromuscular, and metabolic responses to improve strength, aerobic strength, and overall physical fitness (Chan et al., 2018; Rufo-Tares et al, 2019).

For these reasons, many strength and conditioning professionals have encouraged using kettlebell training as a useful tool to improve muscle strength, strength, and maximum oxygen uptake (Chan et al., 2018; Eckert and Snarr, 2016; Falatic et al., 2015; Rufo-Tavares et al., 2019). For example, Otto et al. (2012) compared the effects of 6 weeks of traditional weightlifting with kettlebell training on strength (back squat 1RM) and power (vertical jump and power clean 1RM), in healthy men, and showed that both types of activity have these abilities. Was effective in increasing. (1)

How To Do
    Kettlebell Workouts At Home For Beginners:
    Before you try any kettlebell exercises at home, consult a fitness expert who can guide you about some basic exercises. But, if you just want to feel what this is all about, here are some basic kettlebell workouts that you can do at home according to experts:

Swinging It: This is a very basic exercise, which can later help you scale more advanced kettlebell workouts like kettlebells and goblet squats with lift. Keep your feet apart, bend your knees slightly. Hold the kettlebell with both hands and just swing. Keep your spine and arms straight. Initially, stick for 10 repetitions. This simple exercise can be great for your back, legs, hands and glutes.

ni8h3ple8b03.png

Catapult: This is another simple kettlebell exercise for beginners. Stand with your legs apart. Keep your spine, hips and head steady. Pass the kettlebell to the round body with one hand. Do this ten times. Then facing another direction for ten more times.

Shoulder halo: Again, kettlebell exercises can be another great workout for beginners. Stand upright with your feet. Keep your back still Breathe normally. Move the kettlebell upward in both hands - for a firmer grip, hold the bell near the L corners. Stabilize yourself. Now turn the kettlebell around your head clockwise and anticlockwise.(2)