Got gas?

Options
I'm just gonna put it out there... So I just started taking protein powder. And oh dear... does protein give you rank gas,or what?! If so, Jillian Michaels must have to sleep alone because of all the protein she takes...

Replies

• LovesNoodles
    Options
    LOL hillarious!!!

Your body does eventually get used to it..I used to get gassy in the beginning, then I just stopped...now I can take protein powder like a PRO :D
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    LOL hillarious!!!

Your body does eventually get used to it..I used to get gassy in the beginning, then I just stopped...now I can take protein powder like a PRO :D

I take protein like a pro...
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I should be quarantined. Most people laugh when someone farts, but this is no laughing matter. I hope my body gets used to the protein! Because I can't get used to THIS!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! I know exactly what you mean. When I get back on the protein shake kick, even my dogs look at me like, "Seriously... wtf....." and then walk away from me.

After 2 or 3 days, it goes away... or I'm just already used to my own stench ;-)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I could do shots of protein!

I haven't noticed any gas, personally.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    May be the particular variety as well - I know I was using an Atkins Shake that contained fake sugar at it caused particular odour problems.
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    Then again... I just thought about it... I do have some milk issues - possible lactose intolerance. I always feel like doodoo after I drink milk. The more fattening, the worse I feel. Mocha breve messed me up for 2 days! So anyway... I took soy protein off/on for a brief stint, now I just started taking whey protein (today is only the 2nd day) which I believe is derived from milk?? Anyway it's delicious! Jillian Michaels vanilla shake protein powder. Numnums. I think my boyfriend may opt to sleep on the couch tonight...
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    LOL hillarious!!!

That's what she said. HA!
  • methetree
    Options
    Then again... I just thought about it... I do have some milk issues - possible lactose intolerance. I always feel like doodoo after I drink milk. The more fattening, the worse I feel. Mocha breve messed me up for 2 days! So anyway... I took soy protein off/on for a brief stint, now I just started taking whey protein (today is only the 2nd day) which I believe is derived from milk?? Anyway it's delicious! Jillian Michaels vanilla shake protein powder. Numnums. I think my boyfriend may opt to sleep on the couch tonight...

I mix my protein powder with so delicious coconut milk... it's lactose free. Might try that.
    Hope things work out for you.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I think it's more likely the milk. I have that problem especailly with powered milk. I was very embarrased. I stank like those rotten egg stink bombs. It can be very powerful. I could not wait to leave the bathroom after I was done in there.

Try Almond milk. There's no sugar. It tastes sweet. It has more calcium than cow's milk. And it has some protien components too.
  • SammieRae43
    SammieRae43 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    LOL hillarious!!!

That's what she said. HA!
    Never gets old.
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    I think it's more likely the milk. I have that problem especailly with powered milk. I was very embarrased. I stank like those rotten egg stink bombs. It can be very powerful. I could not wait to leave the bathroom after I was done in there.

Try Almond milk. There's no sugar. It tastes sweet. It has more calcium than cow's milk. And it has some protien components too.
    I think I'll try that. I drink it w/a glass of milk and I don't feel sick, but today.... dayum. I don't even want to be around me. Hopefully it's the milk and not the protein powder. I'm so sad because I love a nice cold glass of milk. Sometimes it messes me up, sometimes it doesn't so much. I'm just not ready to break off the relationship quite yet...
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I think I'll try that. I drink it w/a glass of milk and I don't feel sick, but today.... dayum. I don't even want to be around me. Hopefully it's the milk and not the protein powder. I'm so sad because I love a nice cold glass of milk. Sometimes it messes me up, sometimes it doesn't so much. I'm just not ready to break off the relationship quite yet...

Almond milk is a really tasty milk alternative. Granted, this is coming from a lactose intolerant girl who hates milk...but Almond milk is awesome.
  • statia152
    Options
    Some products that are "carb free" have sorbital (there are others, but i forget) and can cause gas and diarrhea. You could try taking some probiotics, papaya / pineapple enzymes or Beano to get rid of the gas. The "good bacteria" helps breakdown foods and clean out your system.
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So after reading what the OP said I'm thinking that the problem is the whey powder. I get HORRIBLE gas too, it all seems to come out when I'm working out, especially when I'm on the treadmill. I feel so bad for the people around me. But, the point I wanted to make was that I'm lactose-intolerant so I only mix my whey with Lactaid and I still have this problem. SO...I'm thinking that I have to use whey protein isolate, which I've read is lactose-free. Problem is that it's more expensive than regular whey, but I think it might be worth it to get rid the gas
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    I was praying for an out of body experience!