neck pain when squatting

Options
Hello everyone! I am slowly upping my barbell weight which is super exciting BUT I do not have a squat rack so I have to lift from the ground and strained my neck pretty badly when doing it. I watched a video that I can clean into a squat, but I'm a bit nervous to do that because I haven't yet learned...any types?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can make a squat rack with two 5 gallon buckets, 2x4’s, and some concrete. Depending on the amount of weight you are squatting, it might be worth looking into.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Clean into a squat?

Definitely sounds dangerous and potentially even more damaging to your neck, unless you are using very light/managable wt for your steength level wc probably would be much value in doing the squat

Do you NOT have a squat rack bc of the lavk of room or lack of money?

If the former, buliding one out of lumber won't help. If the latter, you could build one out of lumber but they are really bulky & clunky and, given the cost of lumber these days, you may not save much over just buying a used rack on Craiglist.

FWIW, a really cheap and easily storable way to build a squat rack would be to stack 5-6 milk crates on each side and lay the bar on top. There is some risk of tipping/rolling but if you center the bar on the top crates properly, it shouldn't be a major problem. You could also glue/epoxy some wood/plactic guides on the top crates to minimize the problem.

The crates should be able to support 100-200# w/o much difficulty

Good luck!
  • KA1688
    KA1688 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can make a squat rack with two 5 gallon buckets, 2x4’s, and some concrete. Depending on the amount of weight you are squatting, it might be worth looking into.

I appreciate that! I wonder what would be possible without going to that extreme? I don’t have much space or options as I rent a room.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    KA1688 wrote: »

I appreciate that! I wonder what would be possible without going to that extreme? I don’t have much space or options as I rent a room.

See an alternate suggestion above.
  • KA1688
    KA1688 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I caved and purchased a slim $150 squat rack as a birthday present to myself! Ha