Covid and job hunting, or: the girl who turned down a job

Options
Thanks to covid my work contract won't be extended. Lets just say my job is very specialized and very limited in the country I'm at now. Probably 70 colleagues in all, and half of them have just been laid off. I'm used to moving around for work. No problem. So the really odd thing happened: I somehow managed to get a new job, in my home country in a completely different industry. And after lots of thinking I turned it down because there was too much that didn't sit right with me. So I'll be out of work in three months if not another miracle happens. Considering international moving costs, salary difference, old job for three more months instead of starting new job much earlier, height of benefits, cost of living, etc... I will start to be worse of financially after 10 months starting 1 January by not accepting this job. Not too bad! This should work. I can use the time to improve on my coding/data analysis skills, etc. if it wasn't for that darn virus that will make finding jobs internationally somewhat more difficult. At least temporary consulting will be a no until I got a vaccination. Yeah, I thought it all through, but am still a bit nervous. Looking for hugs and cats. Not stopping you from saying that I'm stupid either. I still stand by my decision.

Replies

• LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Well, here's a hug from a cat for you.

You must do what's right for you, I'm a huge believer in that things always work out in the end.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Awww, even a hug from a cat! Thanks a lot Luna <3 Yes, I'm sure all will work out. That's my motto as well, but I'm certainly a bit nervous.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    LOL, sounds like you did the old pro/con chart. My kids laugh at me about that, but confess to doing it, too. Warm wishes. Things will turn around, and you'll be grateful you weren't in panic mode.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    No sweat @yirara! You thought it out, made the calculations and assessed your ability to adapt. You're better off than most with this level of self-assuredness and self-assuredness.

And...

😻
  • yirara
    Options
    LOL, sounds like you did the old pro/con chart. My kids laugh at me about that, but confess to doing it, too. Warm wishes. Things will turn around, and you'll be grateful you weren't in panic mode.

Totally did I do a pro/con chart. And being a number girl, I had a massive spreadsheet to justify my decision. Yay to pro/con lists. <3 Things will work out somehow, I'm sure. :)
  • yirara
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    No sweat @yirara! You thought it out, made the calculations and assessed your ability to adapt. You're better off than most with this level of self-assuredness and self-assuredness.

And...

😻

Aww, thanks a lot. And thanks for the cute cat smiley! <3
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »

And...

😻

Aww, thanks a lot. And thanks for the cute cat smiley! <3

It was supposed to read self-assuredness and self-awareness lol I need self-help for grammar 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • brettchasteen
    brettchasteen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Those nerves are good, keep you focused and hunting
  • brettchasteen
    brettchasteen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    trust your judgement, its got you this far!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Rational assessment and planning for the win! I think you've got a good plan, and am betting things will be fine. I'm in your cheering section! 😊
  • yirara
    Options
    In the same boat. Turned down a job, praying for something better.

Hey, we got this! Hugs to you and fingers crossed. <3
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Is that job still available? Asking for a “friend” who also lost their job due to the bloody Covid. 😔😉

Seriously though, I feel like you’d be really unhappy if you’d accepted a job with the number of cons being way more than the number of pros. In short, not a stupid decision.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ha, I don't know. There probably are other people they interviewed. Good luck to your 'friend'. I'm sure the new year will be a lot better *hugs*
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Taking something that doesn't sit right doesn't sound like it would work for you. I find that if we are willing to put ourselves out there and ask the universe (or whatever, or whomever) for what would work, it eventually comes. Trust your gut. You didn't make this decision on a whim. Sounds like lots of us can relate. Here's hoping that 2021 sends you the right job. You will be ready when it does :)
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot hun :smile: <3 Lets leave this year behind us and see what happens. All will work out somehow.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Crossing fingers for you, yirara! Stay the course. Give mental and emotional energy to the things within your control. For the rest, let it go. It sounds like the wind is shifting ;)
  • yirara
    Options
    Crossing fingers for you, yirara! Stay the course. Give mental and emotional energy to the things within your control. For the rest, let it go. It sounds like the wind is shifting ;)

Thanks a lot curly girl with chicken <3 Lets see what happens.