Inflammation

Options
Good Morning!!! I been working on my inflammation inside my body!! I fight Lupus .... I found a lot of greatness to foods and spices like ginger root, tumeric and more for inflammation!!! I am 51 years old .... I am working on me!!! So with this being said in Feb. 2021 I am going to online school for Holistic Remedies ....Praying I succeed this and be able to help others fighting the same thing!!

Replies

• jeraldt6
    jeraldt6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hope you post what you learn as how it helps you personally. I don't have Lupus but know that inflamation is a huge issue with me and when I find myself most healthy it is because I am paying very close attention to what I am putting in my body.
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do some research on Intermittent fasting. It has been a life-changer for me and my Hashimoto's.

https://stoughtonhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/Living-an-intermittent-fasting-lifestyle-presentation-7.15.2020.pdf
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Going gluten free helped my wife tremendously with Fibromyalgia. It isn't overnight, but gradual. She also learned she was allergic to cow dairy. Eliminating those two things, along with reducing sugar and fried foods helped so, so much. She's pretty much in remission now.

We also eat a lot more vegetables and eat more plant based. I found out I was celiac by going gluten free with her. When we do get accidentally glutened, I'm a mess -- she's fine. Eventually, we went back to sheep and goat cheese -- they don't bother her, but we still minimize the dairy.
  • joannehornik7727
    joannehornik7727 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jeraldt6 wrote: »
    I hope you post what you learn as how it helps you personally. I don't have Lupus but know that inflamation is a huge issue with me and when I find myself most healthy it is because I am paying very close attention to what I am putting in my body.
    Thank You

• lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    lisaap77 wrote: »
    Do some research on Intermittent fasting. It has been a life-changer for me and my Hashimoto's.

https://stoughtonhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/Living-an-intermittent-fasting-lifestyle-presentation-7.15.2020.pdf

It's great that this helps for you, but there's a lot of woo in this presentation to be honest. Weight gain after losing is our bodies trying not to die, etc.

Hence the reason, I said research. There are tons of clinical studies and science to back this. Agree or disagree, that is your right. Again, research what works for you.
    Have a great day.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited December 2020
    Options

It's great that this helps for you, but there's a lot of woo in this presentation to be honest. Weight gain after losing is our bodies trying not to die, etc.

I had an hour conversation with one of the top cancer researchers in the US a few weeks ago (I'm a technical headhunter that does some Life Sciences recruiting with startups). Although I do IF daily (mostly for CICO purposes and I'm a night time eater, so it fits my life), I was surprised how much into it he was. He said it flipped a metabolic pathway switch. The science was way over my head. I was talking to him about technical recruiting needs (he might start a microbiome department and that's where I'd come in).

I don't think it's the magic bullet some claim it is, but there's something to it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324347
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »
    .... My knee is the culprit.....

Carol, if I had a dime for every person in these forums who has said their knee felt better with weight loss!!!!

Oh, I know. It was my hip that hurt until I lost 26 pounds. My knee has started hurting just recently.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I had an hour conversation with one of the top cancer researchers in the US a few weeks ago (I'm a technical headhunter that does some Life Sciences recruiting with startups). Although I do IF daily (mostly for CICO purposes and I'm a night time eater, so it fits my life), I was surprised how much into it he was. He said it flipped a metabolic pathway switch. The science was way over my head. I was talking to him about technical recruiting needs (he might start a microbiome department and that's where I'd come in).

I don't think it's the magic bullet some claim it is, but there's something to it.

The research is pretty preliminary, and I've seen studies that suggest that it's good for blood glucose control for men but can be harmful for women, for example, as well as some studies that indicate putting most cals into the evening can be less beneficial than a more traditional eating pattern (circadian rhythym is another disputed thing some believe is quite important, potentially), so I'd be REALLY careful in suggesting that we know enough to recommend it generally, especially since we do know that many other factors go into what meal timing works for people. (I found the Satchin Panda book interesting, but that was really more about a 12-hr period without eating, not the ever more lengthy "fasts" people now seem to be pushing toward -- since if a little is good, more is better, right?).

If I'd been convinced IF was somehow important when I was losing, it would have messed me up, since my work schedule was long hours (I never ate dinner before 9), and I liked working out in the morning and eating after (so earliest meal was about 6:30, latest at 9). I don't eat between meals, so meal timing doesn't affect CICO for me.

I am not anti IF at all. I do it now and like it, simply because with a more flexible schedule I like working out just before lunch and so tend to eat between 1 and 8 (I like eating 2 meals although I find it difficult when not on a deficit). I also have just naturally done it at other times of my life. But I find most of the dramatic claims about it pretty unlikely. (I think it's more likely to be helpful as a counter to the current tendency in the US for cals to be high do to eating throughout the day and into the night by people not watching cals in any way -- that seems quite likely to lead to increased cals and some bad food choices on average.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The research is pretty preliminary, and I've seen studies that suggest that it's good for blood glucose control for men but can be harmful for women, for example, as well as some studies that indicate putting most cals into the evening can be less beneficial than a more traditional eating pattern (circadian rhythym is another disputed thing some believe is quite important, potentially), so I'd be REALLY careful in suggesting that we know enough to recommend it generally, especially since we do know that many other factors go into what meal timing works for people. (I found the Satchin Panda book interesting, but that was really more about a 12-hr period without eating, not the ever more lengthy "fasts" people now seem to be pushing toward -- since if a little is good, more is better, right?).

If I'd been convinced IF was somehow important when I was losing, it would have messed me up, since my work schedule was long hours (I never ate dinner before 9), and I liked working out in the morning and eating after (so earliest meal was about 6:30, latest at 9). I don't eat between meals, so meal timing doesn't affect CICO for me.

I am not anti IF at all. I do it now and like it, simply because with a more flexible schedule I like working out just before lunch and so tend to eat between 1 and 8 (I like eating 2 meals although I find it difficult when not on a deficit). I also have just naturally done it at other times of my life. But I find most of the dramatic claims about it pretty unlikely. (I think it's more likely to be helpful as a counter to the current tendency in the US for cals to be high do to eating throughout the day and into the night by people not watching cals in any way -- that seems quite likely to lead to increased cals and some bad food choices on average.)

Not scientific research, but general GP knowledge. I've lived in the Middle East for quite a few years, and ever GP told me and female friends and colleagues to reconsider fasting along with my colleagues during Ramadan (some Westerners do) because they see lots of health problems related to fasting in women, even just temporarily and when counting calories. Men are told they can fast along or not, doesn't matter. Of course they can't tell the locals because that would be problematic. I don't know how much validity is in that, and I can't fast along anyway as I crash if I don't eat every 90-120 minutes (something about how my body accesses or not accesses energy). Doesn't mean though that I'm against IF. Each their own.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Not scientific research, but general GP knowledge. I've lived in the Middle East for quite a few years, and ever GP told me and female friends and colleagues to reconsider fasting along with my colleagues during Ramadan (some Westerners do) because they see lots of health problems related to fasting in women, even just temporarily and when counting calories. Men are told they can fast along or not, doesn't matter. Of course they can't tell the locals because that would be problematic. I don't know how much validity is in that, and I can't fast along anyway as I crash if I don't eat every 90-120 minutes (something about how my body accesses or not accesses energy). Doesn't mean though that I'm against IF. Each their own.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Keto has shown some temporary benefit as well but I'm not eating pork rinds 24/7. I was just a bit surprised to hear a top researcher (at a very prestigious national cancer center) mention it and how he thought there was something to it.

I'm not recommending one way or the other. I simply do it 5 days a week because I eat like a pig sometimes at night and it's the only way I can cut down on my calories easily.

My wife doesn't do well fasting. She's a lot like you sound. She gets very irritable and even light headed if she goes too long without food. I usually go like 16/17 hours fasting, without an issue, and she might go 14 and be OK.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    IF is not for the weak, that's for sure. You have to be motivated and disciplined and if you have to eat every hour, IF is not for you. I like it for all of the benefits, researched and tried and true to myself, plus my best runs are fasted. I make no apologies. It's not for everyone.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    IF is not for the weak, that's for sure. You have to be motivated and disciplined and if you have to eat every hour, IF is not for you. I like it for all of the benefits, researched and tried and true to myself, plus my best runs are fasted. I make no apologies. It's not for everyone.

I didn't disagree your post. I am wondering slightly about the term 'weak'. If this was meant as a Clint Eastwood kind of joke it's fine. Otherwise I don't think anyone is weak for having to eat at regular short intervals. Everyone is different, and everyone utilizes energy slightly differently.

Indeed. In contrast to the PP commenting that her fasted runs were the best, my fasted workouts (I'm a rower) basically suck pond scum. I do some occasionally for logistical reasons, but they're miserable, and I underperform. 🤷‍♀️

If that makes me weak (. . . in some people's eyes . . . ), their problem, not mine. I agree with those more recent in the thread that people are usually best served by adopting an eating schedule that's easier for that individual to stick with, but I know there are a few people who are motivated by doing something they find grand and difficult. More power to them. 🙂