Parents - How do you squeeze in your workouts when your kids constantly get in the way? Let's share!

Options
2»

Replies

• misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Snugbug6 wrote: »
    NEVER feel guilty for imprinting her mind with behaviour that will help her live a healthy lifestyle. Her watching you work out, you making sure she understands that it's high on the list of important things to do (along with brushing your teeth, eating your greens, and looking both ways before you cross) is far more important than playing with her for those few minutes. You're empowering her to prioritise her health in the future.

You're winning at parenting, and beating yourself up about it. Don't.

Thank you
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I workout once my little one has gone to bed. I have done it with her awake before and she either joins or potters around usually looks at some books. Feel free to add me anyone :) mum to a 3 year old
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I still feel guilty about it sometimes.
    My second son was one stubborn child, as second kids often are. The way they see things, they are in a competition.
    So, he would not sleep, afraid he might miss out on something. And when I say he would fight sleep, I mean he brawled with it, day or night, completely unwilling to give him.
    But then, he would get so tired, the easy, rolling movement of the car would knock him out like a mickey finn. Two blocks: He'd be dead to the world.
    Well, I stayed home with my boys when they were little. Anyone who has ever been left alone with two little ones for any length of time knows how fatiguing it can be and how, fun as it is, you pray for even a short reprieve.
    And it just so happened that there was a two-and-a-half hour preschool program that started right at noon, and guys gathered on their lunch break for a pick-up soccer game at the local park.
    So, every day at 11:45 AM, I'd strap my boys into the car and drive them over to the little Tiny Tots program building.
    The problem was, by the time we got there, the little one was fast asleep. Sometimes, i would just curse my fate and turn around without rousing him. But, more often, I'd pick his limp little body up out of the car seat and take him in and drop the poor little guy off while he had barely yawned or wiped the sleep out of his eyes.
    It was a terrible thing to do. I am not proud of myself. But I did it.
    The better thing I often did was this: I'd pick my wife up from her work every day, with the kids in the car. Her work was about four miles from our house. I'd get out. She'd get in the driver's seat. And I'd run home. I could get home just about the time that she had unloaded everybody from the car, gotten them in the house, and caught up on their day. Then we'd make dinner.
    I think that was a quite reasonable, efficient way to do it.
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @GiddyupTim I can relate to your stories so much although I only have one. Seems like you were an amazing father and husband just human and exhausted like most parents. Kudos to you for making that run back home after a long day! Very inspiring.
  • kbaby2020
    kbaby2020 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Boy this is a tricky one for me too. My first was born this March and unfortunately I spoiled him a bit too much because he’s very used to being held by me most of the day and going down for naps with me next to him... and he knows when I leave too. Like literally, I’d sneak out of bed and 5 minutes later, he’d be up and crying because he knows I’m no longer there 🙃 now I’m pregnant with baby #2 and I have no idea how I’ll manage a workout when I have two little ones 😅
    I’m just hoping that since my little guy is almost a year, that he’ll start walking soon and go off and be a bit more independent haha.
  • JoeMaddox95
    JoeMaddox95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy holidays!
    Lay them down early or wake up early!
    Make yourself better for them!