Free day idea

Options
Hi everyone,

I was thinking about incorporating a free day rule into my diet. I thought of having up to 3 a month where I can go over my calorie limit, but no more than my BMR. So at the moment I eat 1200 cals a day, and on my free day I can have anything up to 2200 cals a day. I have made badges on my whiteboard at home to mark them off, so there's no over indulging in the rule. Do you think this is a good idea, or should I stick to my calorie limit every single day? I've heard that it's good to 'trick' your body this way as well.

xxx

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Going over once in a while is a good idea. I personally have never regimented it the way you're doing, and I've still steadily lost weight, even over the last week when I didn't log and didn't exercise and ate lots of cake. :) But if that helps you stay on track, go for it!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you....
  • marmom3
    Options
    i think it's a great idea to have a free day planned but 22000 cal may be to much and watch the sugars it can cause cravings
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, it's up to you.
    Personally... I tried to do that, but wound up failing big time! I thought a cheat meal here or there would be okay. But when I started, I couldn't stop. I would just say "well, since I already ate that, I might as well eat that piece of cake". "And since I ate that piece of cake, I might as well eat those cookies, too."
    For me, it really failed. So, now I stay on track and don't allow myself any cheat meals.

Hopefully, you'll be stronger than I was.

Good luck!!!
  • mitsimr
    mitsimr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sounds sort of like flex points in weight watchers!!! You have got to let yourself have a little give from time to time so you dont feel restricted but its gotta be a little give. Looks like youve got this down pat though!!!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think it is a good idea. I do it, too, and it helps a lot. This way you satisfy some cravings, trick your body into thinking that more food is coming its way and it will extra-motivate you to work harder the following days. Either way, don't get scared of what the scale will show you the first 2-3 days after that, it is probably just water weight.
  • ilovemyjacks
    Options
    I think you should do what is best for you. For me personally, I do not allow a free day because then I will want those things that are really bad more often and I will crave it. When I do not have something for a while I just tend to forget about it. :) That is why I can't allow it for myself but maybe you have more willpower than me.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i wouldn't do it myself, because i kind of feel like i'm rewarding myself for hard work with food, which is what i want to get away from. however, do what you feel is right!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    if you are having a "free day" to bust a plateau then it should be over maintenance (BMR + activity) if it's purely for physiological reasons and to keep you sane during dieting then you can set it at whatever calorie limit you want.

personally i find it better to eat what you want just fit it into your daily calories and then have a refeed day every week or two weeks about 3-500cals over maintenance